• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jensen Interceptor and Healey

You laugh and I didn't mention it earlier, but the British in my opinion can't build anything that didn't come with a parts store.

How is it that Europeans never figured out how to fit a convertible top (when down) below the body line? It's ugly with the top down and the rear view mirror is useless.

View attachment 1176580
Not all cars from over there had roofs that stuck up.
ebay599859.jpg

upload_2021-10-8_7-41-3.png

upload_2021-10-8_7-42-53.png

I have never heard of a British car that was built like a swiss watch. Nothing but repairs. It's sad because they have had some good looking cars over the years.

I own a 1973 Jensen Interceptor hatchback. I don't think they started making convertibles until 1974, and they were out of business by 1976, so I think there might be a 3-year span the convertible was made? If you like the 67 Barracuda, You might want to look for a 1967 Ghia 450SS convertible (only about 50 were built), I think they were built on the baracuda chassis?

I don't know much about the Jensen Healy? One book I read mentioned that the Lotus engine was developed/improved from all the Jensen Repairs?

I don't think the Jensen Interceptor floor is double wall? The lower rockers I believe are the common rust area.
I was surprised that parts are are easier to get than I originally thought. You can get replacement body panels, bumpers, Rims, and other parts, but most are in England, so shipping might be pricy. There is/was a place in the US that sold many new reproduction and used parts. I think they were bought by another person about 5-years ago? So far the most expensive part I had to buy was a set of adjustable Spac shocks for the car. The interior is all leather, so replacing the interior would be expensive. Mine is in decent condition, except the drivers seat.
The original wiring can be a problem. The previous owner messed with the cars wiring, and I am planning to replace all the wiring, but keep the original Lucas switches, just have them activate replays so the original switches last longer.
Also, the cars were hand built, so even though you can get body panels, they might take some work to make them fit correctly.

Interesting car, but finding repair parts when you need them?
View attachment 1176463
& it has Lucas Wiring
(not a great reputation, like 'Satans' automotive electrical)
it's fine as long as it's not wet outside
or gets dark :poke:

Triumphs like a TR6
or if she's small stature
a Spitfire, Bug Eyed Sprite or MG Midget
all British Leland built

some early to late 70's
MGs like the MGB or the MGGT
aren't real expensive & can do a lot with them
easy to work on
make sure if you look at anything British check well for rust
they didn't do much rust preventative on their cars
buy something from a drier climate like Calif. or southwest
so you don't have "all the rust repairs"
of cars from back in the midwest (rustbelt), back east or up north

Last edited:
My Fuel filler door solenoid is one item not working, so need to fix it. Currently have to pop the rear hatch to pop open the filler door to put gas in.

& it has Lucas Wiring
(not a great reputation)
it's fine as long as it's not wet outside
or gets dark :poke:
Lucas is known as the prince of darkness, not wetness, but i suppose both could apply.
I simply rewired everything in my English car except the headlights and taillights.... and surprisingly they gave me no trouble. Maybe cause I used good aftermarket switches.

I got a 560 SEC which as far as i know has the same engine and trans. Overall should be about the same build quality.
Can't really go wrong its a totally reliable car if you do regular maintenance.

I still prefer american cars, though. :)

Jensen also made the "FF" on the Interceptor platform.
Stretched and 4WD.

It appears that they mated that 4WD system on a 727 transmission.
Man why has nobody built a custom 4wd muscle car then with a big Gen II hemi and everything?

I got a 560 SEC which as far as i know has the same engine and trans. Overall should be about the same build quality.
Can't really go wrong its a totally reliable car if you do regular maintenance.

I still prefer american cars, though. :)

It appears that they mated that 4WD system on a 727 transmission.
Man why has nobody built a custom 4wd muscle car then with a big Gen II hemi and everything?
Apparently there WAS a single Hemi FF built. It was heavier than the suspension liked.

I have never heard of a British car that was built like a swiss watch. Nothing but repairs. It's sad because they have had some good looking cars over the years.
The grills had the teeth misaligned, broken and missing.

I know their factory aluminum valve covers are a challenge, very heavy and cast on 12 different planes out of substandard metal offering numerous reasons to use hand tools vs. air. They take a lot of work but clean up nicely.

Jensens for Paul Winstead stripped.jpg

jensen-valve-covers-paul-linstead-2016-010_orig.jpg

Jensens for Christmas layout (Paul Winstead).jpg

Jensen for Ari Wershaw.jpg

I would like to see the 4WD in a classic mopar b or e body that makes huge power.
Should help getting the power to the ground when street driving!

So I tested out a Jensen Healey with a 4 spd, I really liked how it ran. Ive seen folks swap in the small rover v8's but I don't think the car really needs it. The DOHC lotus motor is a good match for the weight, which is next to nothing. Maybe 2300lbs. Has a 7000rpm redline which is impressive for 1973. I was worried about the engine from reading but once I saw it in person I was much less concerned. The downside is it needs a full on front end rebuild and while all the parts are available, it's pretty expensive. Super straightforward to work on though, everything easily accessible. And it's not a mustang. But hard to sell if the time came, the triumph/MG folks turn their nose up at it.

Auto Transport Service
Back