• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumper cables? Nah....there is a newer, better way to go.

If you're in a pinch and have a battery laying around, but no tools to remove the dead one, just invert it and touch the posts together
And if the battery you need to carry around has no handle, you can use one of these handy-dandy robust steel handled carrier grabs.....

1709003346055.jpeg

Guaranteed to light up your life. :welcome:

This is a great thread to see what all the options are, I have limited trunk space, so a small jump box makes more sense then the jumper cable mess :lol: :poke:

8FF944F2-1643-41B2-A3D0-B237A0E2DF5B.jpeg

This is a great thread to see what all the options are, I have limited trunk space, so a small jump box makes more sense then the jumper cable mess :lol: :poke:

View attachment 1616827
My brother is fairly fond of driving around with transmissions in the trunk. His Maxima, fully restored charger... knock on wood no blown out quarters yet!
:rofl:

My brother is fairly fond of driving around with transmissions in the trunk. His Maxima, fully restored charger... knock on wood no blown out quarters yet!
:rofl:
That was a one time thing, cars first road trip, I had just built the transmission, so like any logical person I carried the old one, and everything I needed just in case…..b bodies are awesome :rofl:

That was a one time thing, cars first road trip, I had just built the transmission, so like any logical person I carried the old one, and everything I needed just in case…..b bodies are awesome :rofl:
Seems to be more of a 4speed guy thing. But they are cool..

I was meaning how much junk you can put in the trunk and not bother the car
Ask all the babes getting the very popular BBL - Brazilian Butt Lift. Those babes carry more junk in the trunk than an SUV and I guess some really love that look - me not being one of them…..Lol

I use a batteryless jump pack. It has a super capacitor. You can connect it to a battery thats low on voltage and it will charge to 14volts and jump start your car. Or you can connect it a good battery and it will charge in under 3 minutes then disconnect it it and use it to jump start a dead battery.
20240228_082018.jpg

I have this for about 2 years. Works great and holds a full charge for a long time.
HULKMAN Alpha 85

Had and still have a Hulkman 85 for about four years now... I've used it a lot... various cars, motorcycles, assorted farm equipment and even a big rig...Before buying it I Didn't have much in the way of expectations but since I fly a lot I'd been experiencing dead batteries when I would return after being on the road for a couple weeks... Getting to the airport around midnight only to discover a dead battery sucks... Waiting thirty minutes or more for a jump just added to the long day... I'd tested repeatedly for draws, tried a new battery twice... The Hulk lives in my glovebox & has been flawless....

I typically can use it five or six times and still show 50% charge... I've never run it down past 25%..

Lots of good advice in this thread. I decided to give the Hulkman a try.

Here we go.

Hulkman 2.jpg

This is compact enough to sit almost anywhere and not weigh 50 lbs.

Hulkman 4.jpg

Looks simple.

Hulkman 3.jpg

If all fails, there are directions.

Hulkman 5.jpg

Charging port on one end, jumper cable ports on the other.

Hulkman 7.jpg

Common electrical ports.

Hulkman 8.jpg

Simple charger unit.

It was at 76% when I opened the box, within 2 minutes...

Hulkman 1.jpg

I stepped away for about 5 minutes and it was at 100%. I'll test it soon and report back.

Hulkman 9.jpg

I have the Hulkman and the NOCO being delivered today. Looking forward to seeing which I prefer. And yes this was a really good thread. Eliminates a lot of hassle and I worry about my wife even tho we have AAA…. I want to have this option….

I bought the NOCO the other day. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I just watched your video. Thought wow $89 is a lot less than w/the evil empire. So I checked it - must be old vid because now it’s $118 on Kickstarter - still $10 diff from Amazon - but not enough to move the needle. I guess if this is my choice I’ll keep the Amazon unit.

That is just one video I saw on YouTube.

I've read about some units available at Harbor Freight....

01 face 29.JPG

This guy I know buys condoms at Harbor Freight and is shocked each time his wife announces a new kid is on the way.
Their other products......they are not all bad. Some of their stuff works well but for something more complicated like this, I'd skip their products. Cheap wrenches. cutoff discs, paint guns, bungee cords. zip ties.....sure. I'd never trust a HF torque wrench on my engines.

Last edited:
I bought a jump pack a year ago, and it has been getting punished recently on my wife's car. Changing the starter motor in the morning.

These packs are great as long as the battery doesn't fall below about 10 Volts. It happened to me and I had to use my jumper cables in parallel plus revving the engine for about 5 minutes to get the car started.

But they work great if the battery is around 11 Volts or above and just needs a kick.

:xscuseless:

View attachment 1616324View attachment 1616325View attachment 1616326View attachment 1616327
A little late to the party but my Noco GB40 has a manual override. If you hold down a button it will change modes and jump a battery that has less than 2V. Found this out last weekend when my mower wouldn't jump and was completely dead.

Auto Transport Service
Back