• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumper cables? Nah....there is a newer, better way to go.

I get tired of pulling batteries to charge them or dragging the charging unit to the cars parked in the yard.
It is a nice thing to carry something like this in the event that someone needs help when out on the road.

I'll ask a silly question here, having zero experience with any of these:
Do any of them have the capability of being kept charged by a vehicle itself?

I thought someone mentioned that their in car power port could recharge these units. That sounds like a sort of "perpetual motion" machine!

With the JNC I always just leave it on the car after it starts for 3-4 minutes.

Hmm....
I've gotten into the habit of avoiding extended idling in almost everything.
That is maybe being over-cautious but low speed idling doesn't give the best oiling to the valvetrain, lifters, cam, etc.
The 3G Hemi is supposed to have a potential weakness to that and of course, our flat tappet cams need all the oil they can get.

Hmm....
I've gotten into the habit of avoiding extended idling in almost everything.
That is maybe being over-cautious but low speed idling doesn't give the best oiling to the valvetrain, lifters, cam, etc.
The 3G Hemi is supposed to have a potential weakness to that and of course, our flat tappet cams need all the oil they can get.
3-4 minutes shouldn't hurt anything, if you're worried about it put a brick on the pedal that will get the oil pressure up there.

Yes - you can technically recharge most with these units - including having a running or charged car recharge it as long as you have the proper ports in the car and I suppose off the battery itself if you don’t - just like your car can recharge your phone etc… Same thing It may take a bit longer.

I thought someone mentioned that their in car power port could recharge these units. That sounds like a sort of "perpetual motion" machine!
Yup... They come with a cigarette lighter plug... Yeah. I know "power port" but I'm pre-power port.... These things are some kind of alien technology.... Frickin VooDoo stuff....

There are two ports in my 2007 truck. One has the cigarette lighter in it, the other has a cap on it with “Power Port” or something like it printed on the face.
I never was a smoker so I don’t automatically associate smoking with that port.
I tried to smoke but wasn’t any good at it.

There are two ports in my 2007 truck. One has the cigarette lighter in it, the other has a cap on it with “Power Port” or something like it printed on the face.
I've never smoked... But it's still the cigarette lighter plug...

Some people can pull off looking cool, and not smoking, at the same time. I think you may be one of them :thumbsup: :lol:

In my late teens, almost everyone I knew smoked. This was the mid 80s.
I liked menthols but didn’t like that my endurance felt compromised. I would get light headed and felt drunk.

My parents both smoked, my sisters both smoked... My brother smoked... I hated the smell, thought it was nasty, my mom died of emphysema at 59... She'd been on oxygen for five years prior... Every time that hose got tangled it would get a kink in it... When it got a kink she would quickly black out, starved for oxygen... It was horrible to witness & if I ever wanted to smoke that aught to be enough to persuade me otherwise... Never understood how my brother & sisters took up the habit...

It was the culture for many people.
Everyone in my family smoked, relatives too except grandma. She lived to 93. Everyone else checked out 20 years or more earlier.

Most of us try to help... I've had my GF question the safety of helping people... My response is I may be foolish but IMO if people won't help one another then we have lost our humanity & I don't really want to live in that sort of world.... So I do what I can... Hopefully others will do the same..
I agree. Where's the humanity people! :)
I've jumped a half dozen people's cars, helped a lady push start her manual car and she was surprised it started, and changed tires for strangers roadside 3 times because I had a hydraulic jack in my trunk and was right there. All seemed surprised and tried to pay me. I'm surprised they let me do it instead of being fearful of a stranger. I just smiled and told them I couldn't let a useful tool and time savings go to waste. Pay it forward friends!

Have both the JNC and NOCO on the farm. Both are good pieces, the JNC can really take some abuse.

Auto Transport Service
Back