• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumper cables? Nah....there is a newer, better way to go.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
I read on Mopar Action awhile back about these new battery jumper boxes:

00 x1.png

00 x3.png

These are interesting. I like the idea of having something lightweight and compact to bring with any vehicle I'm taking on road trips. No need for getting help from someone else for a jump start if you accidently leave the lights on or some other mistake. Some of these come with built in lights or air compressors. Some will allow recharging of a phone, camera or other low demand accessories.
If you have one, do you have a recommendation for a brand or model that you liked?

00 x2.png

I bought a jump pack a year ago, and it has been getting punished recently on my wife's car. Changing the starter motor in the morning.

These packs are great as long as the battery doesn't fall below about 10 Volts. It happened to me and I had to use my jumper cables in parallel plus revving the engine for about 5 minutes to get the car started.

But they work great if the battery is around 11 Volts or above and just needs a kick.

:xscuseless:

20240226_214242.jpg20240226_214235.jpg20240226_214225.jpg20240226_214209.jpg

I read on Mopar Action awhile back about these new battery jumper boxes:

View attachment 1616319

View attachment 1616321

These are interesting. I like the idea of having something lightweight and compact to bring with any vehicle I'm taking on road trips. No need for getting help from someone else for a jump start if you accidently leave the lights on or some other mistake. Some of these come with built in lights or air compressors. Some will allow recharging of a phone, camera or other low demand accessories.
If you have one, do you have a recommendation for a brand or model that you liked?

View attachment 1616320
I have the Noco Boost HD GB70 as you have pictured. Seriously, it rocks.

Thanks. I saw this scale posted online about a year ago and was shocked....

Btry 1.jpg

Until I saw this, I was under the false belief that a battery's state of charge was directly linear with the voltage. In other words, a 12 volt battery at 6 volts is at 50%. The scale really disproves that. It surprised me to see that just falling to 12 volts flat puts you under 50%.

I’ve had one for years. You have to keep them charged. Which reminds me, I should do that again. It’s been a while.

I've had a GOOLOO jump box for a long time. It's never failed me......And yes, you have to charge them from time to time.

1708952409393.png

I put together a roadside emergency duffle to carry with us a few years ago and included one of the small battery jumpers. But the thing would loose its charge over several months and I would never think of charging it. And then one day it was dead - totally. I haven’t replaced it yet.

The JNC (Jump and Carry) is a traditional lead acid battery. The charging provisions on the unit are basic and a bit flimsy but the battery part works well.
A warning on the Lithium Ion packs -DO NOT LEAVE THEM CHARGING UNATTENDED.
These things are kind of unstable by nature and can potentially burn your house or shop down.

Greg, I have the NOCO GB40. It was given to me about 8 years ago. The first
time I used it was on my Ram one day. I was thinking this isn't going to boost
my truck, but I was in a pinch. Easily boosted it. I have used it man times over
the years and recommend it. Very compact, fits under the car seat. I always take
it on a trip. I charge mine about every 3 month.

Here's Steve getting ready to hook up the Hulkman jump starter:
1708956908666.png

I've had a GOOLOO jump box for a long time. It's never failed me......And yes, you have to charge them from time to time.

View attachment 1616388
I've got a 4000 Gooloo, put it on my dad's old plow truck this winter, nothing, hit the 30 second boost and it started right up then died when the boost stopped, turned out battery was completely dead AND frozen.

I have a NOCO tender on the car

Where I worked we had NOCO brand jump boxes. They could sit for 2 weeks between charges with no issues. it would Still jump most anything pass car or truck

If it gets low,, plug it in the morning time when we get there until about lunch time and you are good to go.

I've had the JNC for 6 or 7 years. Never let me down. It sits for very long periods and rarely needs to be charged.

JNC looks the same as a MAC that I had. Used twice in 2 years and the battery failed. Battery cost more than replacing the whole unit.Should have checked on it more.
You have to keep them charged.
This may be the problem that I had. Out of sight,out of mind.

I’ve had one for years. You have to keep them charged. Which reminds me, I should do that again. It’s been a while.
That's the thing. If you leave it in the shop, or in a trunk for a while, it loses its capability. Which reminds me, I got to do that again !

The JCN660 is aprox a 20lb jump pack.
We had a pair of them at the shop over the last several years.
They work and ours held up over time just fine.
You could start a dead car on a cold winter day. We could use them several times without a recharge.
Started dead diesel pickups with them.

Auto Transport Service
Back