• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another 505 build

I would say mid 11s. Great lower end, very poor top end along with a way-too-high convertor. It's all a mismatch in my book. With real heads and a properly matched driveline - you've got some 10s in it but as it sits it's going to struggle. The big strokes want lower rpm and to pull against something. I think you need to budget on some good heads and a carb, and then a convertor.

Mark, I typically race at Atmore Dragway in Atmore, AL (2 hr drive), but I have a new track opening up about 45 minutes from me in Holt, FL called Emerald Coast Dragway.

moper, When I ordered the converter thats what they came up with when I gave them all my specs. We will see... FTI said they will adjust it accordingly to get it to where I want it.

Hi, I also race Atmore,live in Milton,have been to Emerald coast many times.See you there,my car is my avatar.Looking forward to meeting in person, Mark

https://sendvid.com/b129rg9s <<< Link for Video

Got it started up today, break in went great... Over filled the trans and made a mess... But got that squared away then the oil pan starts to leak... Man o man what a pain, but I'll try and get a better video once I can get it out of the garage. I got one of those hughes engines girdles on there, any tips for getting that and the oil pan to seal up? Its a pretty good leak coming out of there!

Last edited:
Finished wiring it up today. Looking good to get it going this weekend, also thank you all for the advice.

View attachment 347435
Take a couple good pictures of your switch plate setup and post it and tell us about it . It looks great.
Need more posts and pictures of toggl/rocker switch panels posted to our site.

Sounded pretty good too...

congrats & good luck with the issues

I got two videos for ya'll today! First one is just a start up, battery is pretty much cashed as well as the alternator not charging... (One wire, brand new too!) Just apart of it all! Either way had a blast giving it hell for the first time. Found my leak as well, bottom part of the timing cover had a real bad nick in it so I filed it down and renstalled it. Gotta order a new gasket though. I'll be at work next weekend, so weekend after that will be getting it out to the track.

I'll post a bit more info on that board and wiring the car as well. Thank you all for the kind words.

Oh and excuse my buddy's language in the second video, he was having as much fun as I was!

I'll be interested to see what you run with your 505.

I also built a 505 but it's also on hold while I wait for the Victor heads to get back from porting.

For my combination I'm looking to see some 10.5 time slips, and anything quicker than that will be bonus.

The combo I've put together is also a 505 but with:

Edelbrock Victor Max Wedge heads - full port, will have before and after flow numbers when done
12.7 CR
274 / 282 @ 050, 672 lift solid roller
Indy Cross Ram with 750 Eddies.
Dynamic 5000 converter
Pro Trans with brake
Dana 4.10
3400 lbs less driver.
I also went with the ultra light crank, aluminum main caps, stud and girdle to help hold it together.
Check it out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The last picture was taken before engine removal a few months ago.

Very nice build! When are you thinking on getting out to the track?

Also have an issue. Had to pull the motor today, converter didn't center on the crank correctly and I need to send it back. Plus the girdle is leaking a good amount of oil so I just pulled it all back out so I can fix it right once.

Noticed something weird coming out today... The ports are white as can be... Any thoughts on what could cause this??

IMG_0675.JPG

I also built a 505 but it's also on hold while I wait for the Victor heads to get back from porting.

For my combination I'm looking to see some 10.5 time slips, and anything quicker than that will be bonus.

Edelbrock Victor Max Wedge heads - full port, will have before and after flow numbers when done
12.7 CR
Dynamic 5000 converter
Pro Trans with brake
Dana 4.10
3400 lbs less driver.
I also went with the ultra light crank, aluminum main caps, stud and girdle to help hold it together.
Check it out.

View attachment 349036
View attachment 349038
View attachment 349040
View attachment 349051
10.50 will be NO PROBLEM...

Sweet machine. I was going to guess in the 11 second range. I hope you get what you want out of her. Definitely a great looking car with a dynamic power plant. Wondered if you were going to put it on the dyno? Good luck in any case.

Very nice build! When are you thinking on getting out to the track?

Also have an issue. Had to pull the motor today, converter didn't center on the crank correctly and I need to send it back. Plus the girdle is leaking a good amount of oil so I just pulled it all back out so I can fix it right once.

Noticed something weird coming out today... The ports are white as can be... Any thoughts on what could cause this??

View attachment 349104
That sure looks lean to me. Perhaps the pictures are showing it worse than it is? Wonder what your primary jet sizing is and perhaps you have a vacuum leak under the carb? Can't be too much else from my experience. In your vid it sounded good otherwise.
For what it's worth, I pulled my plugs on my FLHT Harley and they were crazy white too, but with that I know it needs a EFI tune since I've made intake and exhaust changes.

Lots of good comments here. Mike is on the money as is Budnicks. It's never just one thing it's a smorgasboard of things that need to be done to get into the 10's. Enjoy it along the way. Just pick away at it and write down each result. You will get there.

Motor is back out of the car... I originally had to put spacers inbetween the converter pads and the flexplate (About 1/8 inch) for some reason I couldn't get the converter to center correctly. I just noticed this when I was trying to fix my oil leak... Long story short, converter pilot was about 1/8 inch too long and was bottoming out inside the crank. So its all back apart and sent back to FTI to correct.

Also, I ordered a new carb to intake gasket as well as 4 jet sizes up and see what happens. Carb is currently at 75 primary and 85 secondary, going to bump it up to 79 - 89 respectively and see what happens... I'm sure an 02 sensor would be more than ideal for this, but reading plugs is free!!

Shooting to get it all back together and to the track this weekend. Here's to a plan trying to come together! Also thank you all for the incite and kind words!

Sounds like a converter built for a mid plate motor setup. Long story short, one year I had a TF that had severe front seal leaks. Pulled the trans numerous times. No luck. At the end of the season had the trans apart & measured the front pump mounting diameter which was not round. Junked that case replaced it, no problem after that.

12.7 CR
Dynamic 5000 converter
Pro Trans with brake
Dana 4.10
3400 lbs less driver.
Check it out.

View attachment 349036
View attachment 349038
View attachment 349040
View attachment 349051

MALEX...10.50's will NOT be a problem...actually I think, if you get traction and 60 foots in the 1.30's (or less) you will go into the 10.30's.
My motor is similar in most repects to yours except I only have standard Port INDY heads (not ported and not Max Wedge size and I do NOT have a transbrake plus my car weights 3670 with me and 5 gal gas and I have gone 10.582 at 126.33.

Got the converter back, fits wonderfully. FTI told me that Scat and Eagle cranks are known to not have as deep as a hole for the pilot of the converter to go into. Something for you all to know!

Trying to get everything together tonight so I can get to test n tune up in Atmore Sunday night. Planning on putting my gopro on my helmet so I can get some in car passes. Sure looking forward to that first hit off the transbrake!

Ohhhh let the fun times roll!!

12.7 CR
Dynamic 5000 converter
Pro Trans with brake
Dana 4.10
3400 lbs less driver.
Check it out.

View attachment 349036
View attachment 349038
View attachment 349040
View attachment 349051
MALEX..you have a 10.30 et motor there,,,,no problem...give em hell. good job

Auto Transport Service
Back