• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just need a bit more

I believe you could pick up at least a tenth and probably
two tenths with a Pro Trans with all Aluminum stuff and
straight cut gears with a custom ratio. However it would
not be cheap! I ran successfully a Pro Trans 904 with an adapter in
our 8 second Big Block Stroker Scamp (Pinks All Out Finalist)
and picked up several tenths over our built 727 Race Trans.
Unfortunately, none of this was cheap = even over here!

OK Doug, thank you, will talk to them today
Hi Tex, hope you are well, we are only playing naturally aspirated mate , NA 235 Radial and yeah we are with TCE
yes things are well . If only darned rain would quit . Entered for Portland 10/11 Dec . 50/50 at moment . Whats weather like in March @ Perth ?

Tex

I believe you could pick up at least a tenth and probably
two tenths with a Pro Trans with all Aluminum stuff and
straight cut gears with a custom ratio. However it would
not be cheap! I ran successfully a Pro Trans 904 with an adapter in
our 8 second Big Block Stroker Scamp (Pinks All Out Finalist)
and picked up several tenths over our built 727 Race Trans.
Unfortunately, none of this was cheap = even over here!
Yes , we are getting more and more in the need for a better trans, block and trans are our weakest parts.

The easiest way is knock 100-150lbs out of it. Gut the doors. Lexan side windows with straps to pull them up. Make the rears staionary. Not hard to make them. Not expensive either. Though my windshield is still original, we lost 88lbs doing this. What seats are in it? Heater box? what type of brakes?
Doug

Kool car. With such a small tire a 904 would have had big benefits over a 727 as far as maximizing e.t.... lower first gear, less rotating mass, losing 40lb up front would be easier to get a better 60'. 904s are often overlooked but Guys are running them with turbos at 1000hp and in NHRA super stock. I would expect a freshening to be needed more. I wouldn't want to do a 904 in a car any heavier, but I think 3650 w be ok...assuming thats race weight? We have been running 727s for years, but seriously considering 904 next go around.

Kool car. With such a small tire a 904 would have had big benefits over a 727 as far as maximizing e.t.... lower first gear, less rotating mass, losing 40lb up front would be easier to get a better 60'. 904s are often overlooked but Guys are running them with turbos at 1000hp and in NHRA super stock. I would expect a freshening to be needed more. I wouldn't want to do a 904 in a car any heavier, but I think 3650 w be ok...assuming thats race weight? We have been running 727s for years, but seriously considering 904 next go around.
A 904 to a big block? A wee pricey I would think? IDK myself.
What would that cost? Anyone?

I'm thinking weight too and that car seems heavy for it's size. It takes time to reduce weight but it's not all that expensive if you're not replacing parts like fiberglass etc. I'm also a fan of tall tires and more gear if you have the room for a taller tire. Short tires seem to slip more too....

The easiest way is knock 100-150lbs out of it. Gut the doors. Lexan side windows with straps to pull them up. Make the rears staionary. Not hard to make them. Not expensive either. Though my windshield is still original, we lost 88lbs doing this. What seats are in it? Heater box? what type of brakes?
Doug
Hey Doug we can’t really do the window thing as it is still (a street car), no heater box, brakes are wilwood front drum rear.
I had a 9.5” converter on the shelf that I have already sent to TCE converters, they have all the data on their converter that’s in the car and are going to put a new one together around 5800 .

Ah Doug, seats are both plastic hornet in front, stock rear.

Just looking at the last on the rollers dyno, had 400hp at 5000rpm and 580hp at 6000rpm so the converter swap could be good

A 904 to a big block? A wee pricey I would think? IDK myself.
What would that cost? Anyone?
Best guess from the shopping i have done..About 2k more then a 727 w equal internal upgrades. Big ticket items being $800 for a bellhousing to bb, $1100 for billet tailshaft. Maybe I am low. Lol
Here is a crt 904:

Last edited:
Whoaaaa hooooo!!!! LMAO! Excellent!
Thanks for sharing that awesome wheelie!

So @Curiousyellow71 , that’s a 904 behind a big block then?
That is Larry's car. It's a small block. I can tell you my 727 is filled with light goodies. Aluminum drums (both), lightened sun shell, aluminum rear clutch carrier, straight cut planets, torington bearings. It's at best worth maybe .10. I traded for most of the parts. Not very cost effictive if you had to purchase it all.
Doug

@dvw Thanks. Considering the thread starter has a big block, I have a question that pertains to this thread and the OP.

What does it take to out a 904 behind a big block?

@dvw Thanks. Considering the thread starter has a big block, I have a question that pertains to this thread and the OP.

What does it take to out a 904 behind a big block?
You need an adapter plate between the block and the case. Also a specer for the fexplte the same thickness as the adaptor. The 904 converters can crack at the pump tang notches. You can swap to the A500 non lock upreaction shaft support and modify the coverter snout to A500. To be honest putting one behind a big block is probably more trouble than it's worth. Pro Trans Builds a 727 with 904 guts. Nice piece but they are around $6K.
Doug

You need an adapter plate between the block and the case. Also a specer for the fexplte the same thickness as the adaptor. The 904 converters can crack at the pump tang notches. You can swap to the A500 non lock upreaction shaft support and modify the coverter snout to A500. To be honest putting one behind a big block is probably more trouble than it's worth. Pro Trans Builds a 727 with 904 guts. Nice piece but they are around $6K.
Doug
Thanks Doug! How much power do you think a 904 will handle before it cracks around the convertor pump drive notch? Or is it random thing? A lot of small blocks are making big hp numbers. Any thoughts on Max power on a stock 904 tailshaft? I would think a small tire car would be easier on parts then one that leaves like Larry's. Lol. Foot braking would be kinder on parts then a brake.
Partly asking for what op is doing but also we have a BB early A body. I would love to go to a 904, its got a tiny tunnel and carries a lot of weight on the front axle. 2 reasons we are looking hard into the 904 swap.
All the lightened internals Like yours would be a great way to go if a guy can swing it, really hardly any benefit to a 904 then. They have the Th400s really lightened up nowadays to, don't see many metric 200s at the track any more, the light internals have gotten near the same e.t. but better durability.

To the op;
How is the 727 set up currently as far as internals?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back