• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just sharing unfortunate experiences about an ECU

Nacho-RT74

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
For those interested I have to say you must have care about the Hi-Rev 7500 ECU. Is not my personal experience but a friend of mine who already got two damaged. The first one just last long around 3 or 4 months, and the last one simply didn't work from the begining. This is a headache being an international shipment. Seller will be sending another one at no cost, but still I have to admit this unit is begining to be disapointing.

For those interested I have to say you must have care about the Hi-Rev 7500 ECU. Is not my personal experience but a friend of mine who already got two damaged. The first one just last long around 3 or 4 months, and the last one simply didn't work from the begining. This is a headache being an international shipment. Seller will be sending another one at no cost, but still I have to admit this unit is begining to be disapointing.
Have there been any product reviews on this ECU?

Sorry to hear that. Is the coil primary resistance > 1.4 ohm? Only thing I can think of initially?
It would be interesting to de-construct the box and see what is inside.

The coil used on the one damaged after 3 or 4 month of use ( but not daily driven, just weekends ) was matched with an MSD blaster 2 and stock resistor. This happened maybe 2 or 3 years ago ? dunno remember. He wanted to give a new try to the Hi-Rev box. This second one wasn't even started. My friend read somewhere one way to know if ECU is damaged is testing the - lead of coil with key in RUN and if you got 12 volts there ECU is damaged. He tested and got 12 volts, so didn't even try to start the engine. He installed a generic replacement he had and got ( as far I recall ) 1.5 or 2 volts at - lead of coil. Tried to start it and started right away. Then he went back to the Hi-Rev 7500 box just to confirm the test and try to start... confirmed, same voltage at - lead of coil, tried to start up the engine and didn't start. So this unit born death.

I think this last try came with their own coil and used that one. He got a full ignition set from Rick Ehrenberg

He took care about the good ground everywhere, getting a ground wire also straight to - post of batt.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Is the coil primary resistance > 1.4 ohm? Only thing I can think of initially?
It would be interesting to de-construct the box and see what is inside.
I took the sticker off one that failed on a friends car

C H I N A was dotted into the blue paint in white , laser like dots , no joke
I wish I would of snapped a damn picture

I had one for a few weeks before it started to miss - It did help me confirm an issue , or pointed me in the right direction on ignition versus fuel related issues involving RPMs though

And you are correct on the Chinese oil filled canister coils - Trying to find a match is next to impossible on all these fake transistor ignition modules made today

I think I have tested just about every ECU made and oil filled/epoxy coils/ballasts/no ballasts on the street trying to resolve RPM issues above 4,500/5,000

Funny part is I can honestly say I have never had a ECU / Ignition Module fail as in a no start situation

RPMs is another story , and coils where probably half the problem

Last edited:
I had used several Mopar Performance conversion kits with the orange box from the 1980s' and they worked fine, and back then the entire kits were less than $100.
Somewhere along the line, I think Mopar changed vendors or something? Prices jumped and quality was down, at least from the one (and last) kit I bought.
Since then, I have used CD ignition boxes with E-Core coils, and either a good stock (recurved) distributor, or one of the billit aftermarket distributors.

I think this last try came with their own coil and used that one. He got a full ignition set from Rick Ehrenberg
I'm confused. Are you saying that the failed ECU (post #1)was from Rick or the replacement was from Rick?
The reason I ask is that I am using the one from Rick after an orange box failure because his website says
"THE MOST RELIABLE ECU MONEY CAN BUY!"

Failed ECU ( twice ) was from Rick. I can't tell if they "make them" since he is not the only seller ( Jegs, Summit, some others ).

I appreciate , Rick , and his operation, used much of his products in my Gtx build , BUT , had a problem with the High Rev , dizz and box ! Talked to engine builder about what happened! Concluded, no way to prove our suspicions! Anyone ever heard of cross fire , due to defective ecu ignition?

Every time I have an ignition issue with RPM, it always traces back to a resistance some where in power to the ignition system.
Even had to have my brother run the car out on the highway while I watched voltages under the dash lol
In the middle of a race.
Event director wasn't excited.

Sarcastically speaking......aren't you glad you switched from points (which work 99.99999% of the time) to something that works from zero to 50% of the time? But life is full of challenges why pay $$$ to experience these frustrations..... just a casual observation......
BOB RENTON

And a good and well thought out observation! The answer, lies in the overall view of the problem! Which is , in the search to improve on any thing, that works and is proven , one sometimes comes to the ultimate realization, that it might have not needed improving upon , from the beginning or maybe, it wasn’t broken, so don’t, fix it ! Life is filled with so many little questions, that sometimes, can only be answered after an attempt, at improving something that is already, good ! Just my opinion of course! JC Cooper

Sarcastically speaking......aren't you glad you switched from points (which work 99.99999% of the time) to something that works from zero to 50% of the time? But life is full of challenges why pay $$$ to experience these frustrations..... just a casual observation......
BOB RENTON
I was wondering how long it would be before you jumped into this thread and wrapped your metaphorical arm around Nacho's shoulder. :rolleyes:

Funny how all these "defective" items no matter what they are, are seldom from a factory stock system. Something else in the "pot" is usually a modification or other makers part and the part that "fails" takes the blame.
No parts supplier has control over what the buyer does with his parts or what other parts are installed in the same system. Be it One cam maker and another brand of lifters with another brand of springs, and another's valve keepers... When something doesn't go right, who gets the "credit"? Cam grinder? Lifter maker ? and on...

I was wondering how long it would be before you jumped into this thread and wrapped your metaphorical arm around Nacho's shoulder. :rolleyes:

Considering how old is the thread, is amazing!

I also realized 50% of the times he doesn't ever read completelly my posts. There is the perfect example on ( at least by this moment ) his last post at the "for the volt conversion crowd" thread. He even quoted the wrong post to give the answer he tried to give to the actual post he didn't read. And many more along this last 2 years.

Then he doesn't realize 2 facts:

-I'm not talking about MY car and he doesn't even know if the car I'm talking about is originally Elect Ign. ( another example he didn't read completely my posts so there is no reason to that reply to me )

-Electronic ignition is standard equipment since 73 and my car is 74 so if I was talking about my car I didn't change from points ever.

But I want to give the doubt benefit on this for him: maybe he is saying "you" as plural for everybody and not as singular for someone here.

I wasn't even to reply about this, but since you already did, I decided to proceed with my post as I thought to proceed when I read his post afew hours ago, but then changed my mind on the last moment and simply let it go...

Last edited:
I never had any problems with the direct/connection stuff I bought in the 80’s and early 90’s. But that was all quality USA stuff I imagine.

Auto Transport Service
Back