• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just want to clarify a few things before start up from the pro's ( You guys )

benno440

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
okay almost ready to start the stroker for the first time.

everything is there i have run in oil in, gearbox oil in, p/steer line on and fluid in, coolant in, fuel tank full.

no leaks so far.

just want to double check a few things before i fire her:

* oil priming do i put the drill on clockwise? and flatout or what sort of rpm?
* the distributor gear does that have to line up some way? or just go in?
* set the crank to around 15* BTDC? for initial timing, then spin the dizzy until the rotor meets up with number 1?
* is there an easy way to get fuel from tank to carbs without turning the engine over?
* once running get the timing light going and turn dizzy until about 35-38 * ??
then tune carbs?

thanks in advance guys will post a video of first fire if all goes well.

1. small blocks...clockwise......big blocks...counter clockwise. rotate engine by hand at least 2 revolutions to get oil to both banks while someone is spinning the drill.
2. dizzy gear...insert it so that you have enough swing to rotate both ways without it hitting anything
3. NO.. bring #1 cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke.then insert the drive gear....then insert the dizzy...you may have to manipulate that drive gear depending on where you want #1 to be...( youll figger it out)
4.remove a fuel line before the fuel pump, apply compressed air in the tank with a rag around the opening. this will force fuel to where ya need it.then try to fill the line after the fuel pump...not always easy if ya have all steel lines.
5.once running...turn dizzy to get it running somewhat smoothly.....time it later and watch the temp gauge and oil gauges
6.once running...try to keep the RPM's around 1500 to 2000 for about 15 minutes...watch the temp gauge....and of course the oil gauges

i just did all this to a 66 charger last week !!! good luck!

FIRING ORDER 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 counter clockwise on big blocks. if ya get all that right....shell fire right up. just initally pour some fuel into the carburetor...you may have to do that a few times til the fuel pump primes up

Thanks tpodwdog:
I too am almost ready to start up the Hemi.
Hoping for the weekend of 19-20 Feb.

1. small blocks...clockwise......big blocks...counter clockwise. rotate engine by hand at least 2 revolutions to get oil to both banks while someone is spinning the drill.
2. dizzy gear...insert it so that you have enough swing to rotate both ways without it hitting anything
3. NO.. bring #1 cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke.then insert the drive gear....then insert the dizzy...you may have to manipulate that drive gear depending on where you want #1 to be...( youll figger it out)
4.remove a fuel line before the fuel pump, apply compressed air in the tank with a rag around the opening. this will force fuel to where ya need it.then try to fill the line after the fuel pump...not always easy if ya have all steel lines.
5.once running...turn dizzy to get it running somewhat smoothly.....time it later and watch the temp gauge and oil gauges
6.once running...try to keep the RPM's around 1500 to 2000 for about 15 minutes...watch the temp gauge....and of course the oil gauges

FIRING ORDER 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 counter clockwise on big blocks. if ya get all that right....shell fire right up. just initally pour some fuel into the carburetor...you may have to do that a few times til the fuel pump primes up

dont think i could of asked for a better answer, cheers bloke

anytime mate.....toss a few shrimp on the barbie for me next time you grill out! LOL

see i dont get that, f**king croc dundee runied us, we dont even call them shrimp, i didnt know what a shrimp was until i first heard you yankees say it, we call em prawns.

but anyway cheers

see i dont get that, f**king croc dundee runied us, we dont even call them shrimp, i didnt know what a shrimp was until i first heard you yankees say it, we call em prawns.

but anyway cheers
cheers...and let us know how it went!

not good mate, primed fuel and oil got everything ready to go.

let me know what you guys think this might be.

i have a powermaster mini hi torque starter worked before, then when went to start it, i can hear the relay click but nothing and no movement at the starter, put the tester on it and have power and earth. not sure whats the go what do you think?

Check cable connections to battery (as in brighten them up with a battery brush) and negative cable to ground, engine to ground and body to ground. Check connections between starter lugs and relay for tightness and then try jumping battery from another vehicle. Did you try to jump the terminals on the relay? I'm guessing it's something simple.

all of that is okay, when i tightened the nut on the starter relay lug i noticed the nut kept spinning and wouldnt fully tighten down, i spoke to my auto sparky about this and he seem to think the solenoid inside could be damaged, so gonna drop starter and bench test it tonite.

all of that is okay, when i tightened the nut on the starter relay lug i noticed the nut kept spinning and wouldnt fully tighten down, i spoke to my auto sparky about this and he seem to think the solenoid inside could be damaged, so gonna drop starter and bench test it tonite.
thats probably the problem. older starters used to be double nutted to stop this problem.

Rotate the crank and the drill clockwise and at the same time for small block, correct? I ask cuz I've been having a hell of a time trying to prime my oil pump on my 318 (with 360 heads if that matters) , every time I spin the drill with the mopar tool iI can hear it moving and feel the pressure build but it never reaches the heads. Very frustrated at this point...

Auto Transport Service
Back