• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

@Kerndog may have started his own trucking company in SC

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
Spotted him today. He did say he was putting his home on the market and relocating. Could he be moving close to here???????

E8D51A5B-8BAD-45D9-8FF4-5B00028D80CF.jpeg

35B52534-06C7-437E-BFDC-E87547FD0762.jpeg

My personal experience - Leon Black, former CEO of Apollo Management, the largest private equity (buyout) firm on Wall Street, went on record on the front page of the Wall Street Jounal a decade or so back, stating that investing in the tank truck industry was the worst financial move of his career. He was collecting tank lines in the top 10, trying to corner the market. My employer at the time was number five. The owner turned down an offer of well over $100 million.

As general counsel, the deal could have left me and other inhabitants of the executive suite set for life. Today the company is worth a small fraction of that, after surviving a chapter 11 bankruptcy. I bailed out when the deal didn't happen, and didn't go down with the ship. My immediate boss had purchased company stock when he was a junior executive, and he forfeited $450,000 when he jumped to a competitor to save his skin. I had the chance to buy the outfit I leased my truck to in 2010, and consider myself lucky that deal didn't close either.

Spotted him today. He did say he was putting his home on the market and relocating. Could he be moving close to here???????

View attachment 1496583

View attachment 1496584
Ha ha...
I didn't think that my last name was that rare OR common but I'll admit, I have only personally met ONE other KERN that I wasn't related to.
Funny story , too.....
Sometimes in the early 90s, I got a traffic ticket and had to go to court on it. Here we are in the courtroom, myself and other "violators".
The judge or bailiff called out MY name and I stood up and pled my case.
After I went out to the lobby, a guy came up to me and said that he just came along with a friend that was also there for a traffic citation. He was from southern CA and didn't visit northern CA very often. HIS name was also Gregory Kern so when they called OUR name, he was shocked!
How often do things like that happen??

Kern's Auto Clinic was right around the corner when I was a kid....... there were brothers, one taught auto shop at the votec school.......I grew up with Chris Kern (son of one of the above)....... he drove a cuda (e body) for a first car, I don't recall what year, was a 340 car

Way back when I was on active duty, about six months before retirement, I got to meet everybody active duty with my last name on base...for drug testing. They were after one of us, never found out who, exactly. Kinda funny and sad at the same time.

Not sure why Greg wants to leave, he's got a whole stinking county named after him...

J/K I totally know why he wants to leave, in spite of having a beautiful property in a better area of the state...

Not sure why Greg wants to leave, he's got a whole stinking county named after him...

J/K I totally know why he wants to leave, in spite of having a beautiful property in a better area of the state...
Thank you, Randy. Very nice of you to write such nice things.
If we could get the right leadership in place, I'd live with the higher cost of stuff. It is hard to beat the weather and scenery here.

Ha ha...
I didn't think that my last name was that rare OR common but I'll admit, I have only personally met ONE other KERN that I wasn't related to.
Funny story , too.....
Sometimes in the early 90s, I got a traffic ticket and had to go to court on it. Here we are in the courtroom, myself and other "violators".
After I went out to the lobby, a guy came up to me and said that he just came along with a friend that was also there for a traffic citation. He was from southern CA and didn't visit northern CA very often. HIS name was also Gregory Kern so when they called OUR name, he was shocked!
There's a guy that lives 38 miles from me that owns a dairy service company.
At the Ford dealership for a recall on
my Mustang, the service manager
came into the waiting area and
announced my car was ready. Me
and another guy stood up. Same
name as mine.

Thank you, Randy. Very nice of you to write such nice things.
If we could get the right leadership in place, I'd live with the higher cost of stuff. It is hard to beat the weather and scenery here.
KD,
I can sympathize with your hesitancy
to leave Cali. I lived in the same
general area as you. Santa Rosa.
It was a whole different place back
then. Can't beat the climate.

hg-bread-sign-closeup.jpg

A Knoxville staple and registered as a National Historic place, the Kern's bakery
building in Knoxville is now part of some manner of waterfront redevelopment nowadays...
Before SaraLee (those giant corporate bastards who have bought out so many regional
bakeries in this country and ruined them), it was great bread and I remember it well.
So was Sunbeam, but they suffered a similar fate too...
They both still can be bought at local stores, but they're not the same.

There's a Kern family up here in the Rochester, NY area. We've known them since '08.

Ha ha...
Funny story , too.....

There was a family of Kern`s in my home town , oldest boy was one tough dude , I dated his younger sister , good people !!

Got pulled over by NYS troopers for excessive speed one evening. Quite a bit of time passed before a second cruiser arrived on scene. The first officer asked me to get out of the car because there was a warrant out for my arrest. Moments later they apologized and told me I had the same name but was the wrong color! Don't know how they could have gotten that wrong but almost had to change my shorts!

Auto Transport Service
Back