• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large Oil Galley Plug comparison

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone! What the F is the deal with this plug that came in my Milodon freeze plug kit? The original one I removed has a much larger sealing surface area. Are there any on these out there wider than this Milodon plug? I'm actually half considering flattening the center of the old one and reusing it! Here's a pic of the comparison...
Large camshaft oil plug.JPG

Put the appropriate sealer on it and use it.
Do not use the old one unless you want it to pop out.

I’ve seen different plug kits advertised as ‘deep’. I’ve torn a couple original engines apart and I don’t recall them being ‘deep’. Is your old one original or has the engine been rebuilt before?

I’ve seen different plug kits advertised as ‘deep’. I’ve torn a couple original engines apart and I don’t recall them being ‘deep’. Is your old one original or has the engine been rebuilt before?
This 68 383 hasn't been opened up before me.

Put the appropriate sealer on it and use it.

That's my plan, unless I can find another one. I'm sure this will seal, as everyone seems to be using this one (identical to the Chinese Dorman product).

For what it is worth in my opinion I avoid steel freeze plugs sealing water I go too brass and never touch them again.
Eventually the steel will rust out.

I used brass freeze plugs too. This piece seals the oil galley in the rear of the block, no water inside or out.

I wondered if it was the cam plug. They need to be shallow on some engines so they do not contact/rub the camshaft.
Silicone sealer and tap it in square and you should be fine.

You dont have to buy them in kits. You can buy them individually, you just need to know the size. I can look for you if you cant find it, but I can't get a feel for which one were talking. Back of cam??

You dont have to buy them in kits. You can buy them individually, you just need to know the size. I can look for you if you cant find it, but I can't get a feel for which one were talking. Back of cam??
Yes sir. I'll post diameter in the morning. I should check around as well!

All you gotta do is, add sealer, and knock it in flush with the plug hole. Cam oiling...just keeps the oil in the block, where it's supposed to be.

2 9/64 is stamped on the plug. I remember reading somewhere that this is a hair larger than the plug that was installed by Ma Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back