• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

late model hemi into early b bodies

We have been working on Saturdays lately, so the progress has been slow. Today I got 90% of the first blocking done, man it's starting to come in straight thanks to the dry guide coat. I might be able to prime again on next Sunday and block it again. My arms are getting a good workout.

We must be due for some more pics on this one. Have you made a definate decision on the color and vinyl top yet?

I'll get some pics next week sometime. As far as a vinyl top, I've decide I'm not gonna do it.
for the price of a top, I could get some bucket seats that are not tore up like my originals, so I'm on the hunt for seats. The color is going to be dark charcoal metallic gray. So the body has to be as straight as I can get it.

WOW, your moving like lightening! Is this the same 5.7??? at this rate you will have paint on yours before I will on mine.. Looking forward to seeing some more shots...

My Saturdays have been shot due to working overtime and Sundays, my wife has to work overtime also. So, with that said, Ive been doing the super late night stuff, get to bed around 1 and get up at 6 to get the munchkins ready for school and daycare. So, lots of sanding on the interior parts that need to be body color for now. I might get some time on Sunday to do some bodywork, but I would'nt hold my breath.

I just have to say amazing build! I read the whole 23 pages and I feel like you have given me alot of knowledge on my 5.7 swap. just a few questions I have about your project:

1)You said your glad the donor was a 03 car because it doesn't have msd -
wouldn't it be more beneficial to have the msd ignition?

2)you said you used the the plug and play harness from street and performance - is it truely plug and play?
does it plug into the factory fuse block on the firewall? also do you have the link to the webpage - for
some reson I can't find it??!

3)why didnt you go with a sb 727 tranny? just outta curiosity..

4)You mentioned that you are using 6.1 fuel injectors - are you still using them today? how much of a difference did it make?

5) what front suspension did you go with?

Dangina, I;m still working on it, body and paint, but the drive train and and such is all done so when the paint is dry I'll ne putting back together. To answer your ??'s here we go.
1. Possibly, but with the 5speed auto I dont think it is necessary, beside, I'm to concerned with fuel mileage.
2. The harness is total plug and plat and it has its own fuse block and relays, just a 5 wire hook up, power, ground so on. Your factory harness on your car is not touched. The website is hotrodlane.cc
6. I wanted the super low 1st. gear 3.00.1 and a .75 over drive so i dould use steep gears in the rear for fast take off's.
4. The 6.1 injextors are still in and will continue to use them, but the car has not been on the road since I started this 5 yrs. ago, so I really cant give you anyfeed back.
5. The front is from a 68 charger the rear axle housisng from the same charger, center section is the factory 742 suregrip, and

Oooopps, let me continue......sway bars front and rear. Hope this helps.

I was jealous of your progress until I read where you started 5 years ago!!
I am only 2 1/2 in to my project so now I don't feel so bad. I just hope the economy holds up from here on and I can get back to my 1-2 days a week workin on it.
i am anxious to get to where you are right now, body/paint because getting it back together will go fairly quick. Then it will just be a matter of getting the electrical/computers to work right!
I'm thinking if all goes well I am about a year away from being done. Spring Fling 2012 FOR SURE and maybe Fall Fling 2011.
Are you lookin for stock bucket seats or something after market?

I'm shooting for the San Jaquin Valley Mopar Show Oct. 2011. I have my factory bucket seats but the need a TOTAL redo, so I thought I would look for some factorybuckets that just need covers, or some late model buckets that would match or come close to matching the rear seats vinyl coverss.
right now I'm open to just about anything. You got something in mind?

Got my dash pad and trim piece today from another member here on FBBO. Looks great and it fit nicely, good thing a 65 Coronet and 64 Polara use the same dash and pad.

Hey 5.7 love the work you're doing. Giving me alot of inspiration. I have one suggestion that comes from experience though. Read that city citation very carefully. I lost a '67 Charger because the city wanted to look all pretty like.

Thanks, I read it real carefully, and the city was kind enough to high lite the code and the use of a car cover.

I got popped for having my 66 in the back yard, even though you couldn't see it from the street. They got 15 violations on two streets at the same time!

Our codes aren't so lienient. They specifically stipulate if any adjoining property has view, including from a second story window!!

They also specifcally state that a car cover is NOT accptable, and "privacy fencing" must be "approved".

I ended up dragging it to a mini warehouse**, and building a $5000 "carport" with three walls. after a year of storage ($880), I drug it back, only to find out all the violations had been dropped and the county employee repremanded (or terminated, can't remember).

At least I gat a nice 30'x26' "carport" out of the deal, although I could have nearly finished my car for that $6000.

Take a look at mid to late 80's Dodge 600 and 400 buckets.

I got a white leather set from a turbo convertible for $40. (be sure to get 2 door seats).

The upholstery pattern is very simmilar to 60s and 70's style, and the back is low with a small adjustable headrest. Not too terribly out of character for my 66.

I even would bet a good chunk of money that you could remove the head restraint, and use a Legendary 1966 seat cover on them.

I did have to pound out the studs on my seat tracks and drill one hole in each about 3/4 away from the factory hole.

As a bonus, they recline.

** at least three of the mini warehouses I checked out wanted a valid tag, proof of registration in my name, and proof of insurance!!

WTF!

Why would I do that on a car I needed to store?

I would think a title or bill of sale in my name should have been sufficient.

My grandpa sent back some parts that I had him blast for me, they sure came out good. The shifter cable is now mounted to the factory shifter. The better half has to work on Sat. and Monday, so I got daddy daycare those days. Hopefully Sunday I get some time to work on the car. Side note, washer took a huge dump, so a new washer will be here Sunday, so I dont get seat covers for awhile...another member has a new set, black, for a steal, but gotta have clean clothes...damn priorities.

The first of the last round of blocking is done. I'll hit with 220 this Sat. or Sunday. I hate to say this, but I'm in hurry, cause the wife wants to park her Magnum in the garage, so it's time to bust *** and none of my buddy's want to come to my block party...chicken shits!lol!

Wohoo, I finished blocking her today. Total time blocking is somewhere in the 10-12 hour range. Also went over the engine bay again due to overspray from priming. I think I used 2 1/2 gallons of primer for the whole car and odss and ends. So now, this coming Sunday she will get color and soon after that, my better half will be able to park in the garage....she will be so happy!!!

Getting some of the detail pieces done before paint, such as the door lock mechanisims, strikers, hood and trunk latches. Painted those gloss black with a gloss clear, should match nicely with the dark charcoal metallic gray. My buddy is coming by this Sat. to help make a "paint booth" in the garage so I can spray my *** off on Sunday. God I hope I dont screw this up!!!!

I'm sure you'll do a great job Zack. Good Luck with the project can't wait to see pics.

Auto Transport Service
Back