• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

late model hemi into early b bodies

Can't wait to see it. I'm working on my second to last blocking, then I'll final block, reassemble it and shoot it. I'm kind of **** with my paint, it will be blocked 4 times, 150, 220, 320 & 500.

I did 80,180,220, and 320.

So Sat., and Sunday are the days I get to PAINT!!! I asked my boss/owner of the company if I could have Sat. off cause I need 2 days to paint my car, his reply....No problem because you were honest why you need the time off, I was floored at his response. Guess it goes to show that when your parents told you to be honest things are always better off. So I'll be busting my rear off to get it all done by Sunday evening. Still gotta make a booth to fit inside the garage, but I got some help coming so that should not take to long. I'll post pics when I get it done.

Very cool project. Not sure what your plans on the booth are but last week i was talking to my friends dad who used to be a professional painter, He said when he first got started he did it in his garage, first he wet the garage floor with water, and then he dropped plastic around the entire garage from the roof completely enclosed. With the floor being wet the electricity in the plastic was like a big magnet and would pull all the dust and crap away from the car. I will see him in the morning if i remember i'll ask him for more details, if you want.

Anyways good luck!

That would be cool. thanks.

Got the fenders, trunk lid, hood, scoop, dash and some interior pieces done. The car comes in next. The color looks nice, but I got a few runs on one fender, so I got wait for it to dry, then sand it a nd shoot it again. That pisses me off, but it was my mistake letting my shorts brush against it and it went down hill from there on that fender. Everything else turned out alright considering I below a beginer...lol. I'll post pics on Sunday night.

Here are some pics. My buddy and I made a both and it worked rather well.

first primer 077.jpg

first primer 078.jpg

first primer 079.jpg

first primer 080.jpg

first primer 084.jpg

Is it worthless now? lol!!!

I still need ti paint the top of the scoop, trunk lid and hood. I thought that I would wait a week for the paint to get dry before I flip them over.

Looking great man!
I am about 10 more days of fab work and pre-fitting until I can take mine apart and get after the finish bodywork and painting fun. That's 10 days of shop time, which could take a while:(

Man, your not wasting any time.....Looks Good.

I used a single stage acrylic enamel and put 2-3 coats on it. I had my wife look at it tonight and she found a few thin spots and one place I missed altogether, so I got some more work to do. Even with those mistakes, I don't think that I did too bad for a guy that has 1 eye. Yeah, sometimes it's a bitch, but I don't give up and plow on thru. Good new is there aren't any waves, so the blocking untold number of times paid off.

I'll get with it this sunday and to get everything ready for the following sunday to reshoot those areas. Also, the color looks gorgeous in the sunlight, so Im excited to get this part done and start the puzzle of putting it back together.

In my best NFL refferee voice.....after further review, the call on the field is incorrect, wet sand the whole damn thing and try again!!!! Anyone live in California that wants to help out???!!!! I'll keep trying till I get it right.

Looks great! until i seen your last post, What happened?

I assume that the pressure was to high, but some panels looked great, some not so good and I missed a few spots. I'll wet sand the whole thing and give it another try...hopefully learn from my mistakes, and then have my wife look it over before I stop painting.

Hey Bro, looks great in the pics but "you know" (in my best Roger Hodson voice...listen to "Had a Dream on you tube) anyway....
The guy I am working with was talking about spraying metallic. It is tough if you don't do everything at the same time and hanging/laying the same way, i.e doors hanging instead of laying flat...so the metal flakes are suspended in the paint and lay the same on the surface. i might have my head up and locked here 'cause I have never tried it myself, just what I heard. I admire you for taking this on. I am positive it will be tits when you are done!

Thanks Darius, I finished sanding the fenders, and I still need to block the top of the trunk lid, then it will be ready for paint. The only items that are laying flat will be the hood and trunk lid. The fenders are hanging like they would be when installed on the car and the doors I never took off. I heard the same thing you said about metallics, thats why I didn't shoot the fenders flat.

I do have some news as to "maybe, possibly, could have, might have", been the reason I did such a bad job....I have a catarac in my only eye and it has been screwing with me since the begining of the year. The VA doctors found it today, so surgery is gonna happen ricky tick. I can't pass the DMV sight test at this time and my license is coming up in Nov., so they are getting with it,. I have another appt. on wed. with the surgeon to go over everything and make a date asap to fix my eye. So it's official, my eye screwed me up and thats my story and I'm sticking to it.....lol!

Auto Transport Service
Back