• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

late model hemi into early b bodies

Would you advise what Master Cylinder and Booster you've used?

I would be very interested in the clearance issue between the inside of the left front fender and the opposite side of the booster.

I've installed a 392 early Hemi, in my '65, and the four wheel disks will need some type of booster, I'm sure. Thanks for any information.

meas.jpg

I bought a front disc brake conversion from Hotrods usa, and the booster is a 8 inch dual diaphram. The master is a wilwood with 1 1/8 bore. The brackets that come with the kit are junk, they put the whole set up almost to the front of the valve cover, so I enlarged the hole ever so slightly and the made a new pedal adapter and bingo a factory looking set up . I have about 1 1/2 -2 inches of clearence to the bottom of the booster from the valve cover. I then mounted the porportioning valve on the inner fender. If you have any more questions fire away. The booster to the inner fender per your diagram is 9 1/2 inches so about 1 1/2 clearence between the booster and inner fender.

Last edited:
Heres another pic.

Picture   64 polara 500   5.7 Hemi w 5spd. automatic 024.jpg

One more for good measure.

Picture   64 polara 500   5.7 Hemi w 5spd. automatic 063.jpg

Hey B392HEMI it looks like you'll have enough clearence for what I did , if not use a 7 inch dual diaphram booster. Also the are 2-3 mounting locations for the booster or you could drill some new holes to mount the booster depending on where you need the booster to clear your valve cover. If you need more info just ask.

Last edited:
Your setup looks as if it might work well for my application. Thanks for the information. Good luck with your project, very nicely done.

Bob

Here's a pic of the rear end, it's from a 69 charger, center section is from the original rear end and it's a 742 with 3:91s. It is the same width so now I don't need to mess with the press on drm brakes. Also the sway bar is for a 69 Charger and it bolted on perfect but I have since changed the mounting brackets , they chewed off the paint and that pissed me off so I made new ones at work out of aluminum and painted black to blend in. I rebuilt the stock leafs with poly bushings but may need to get new ones after I put the car back togetherand have the full weight on them.

Picture   64 polara 500   5.7 Hemi w 5spd. automatic 131.jpg

what did you end up using for a fuel system - I am swapping a 6.1L into my 68 Charger and trying to figure out the best route for the fuel system...

That looks great. You said you are using the 5spd Auto? Were there any tunnel mods that had to be done? What are you using for engine and trans management and wiring? It's going to be a fun car. Congrats....

Rev.

I got an intank pump from Tanks Inc., and machined a plug to fit in the stock tank opening that has the feed and return lines going thru it, I posted a pic of this.The filter/regulatotor is from Street and Performance in Mena Ark., talk to Mark Cambell he can set you up with the needed parts. Or go and get the filter /regulator from Napa for a 99 Vette, I nknow it's not Mopr but it's the cheapest and easiest way to go. I'm using the stock computers, 03 has 1 for engine and 1 for the trans. Wiring Harnes is from Street and Performance, it's plug and play. Tunnel mods Had to be done, no getting around that. Torsion bar crossmember were it rises with the floor pan had to be cut out and a new one that is wider and taller had to be made, 1/4 inch plate bent and rewelded and then boxed did the trick. Transs mount was reworked,pic posted earlier, and I used the poly mounts from Shumacher engine and trans. But the biggest hurdle was engine placement with the 64' k frame,. I dont recall how many time that the engine was in/out, then I realized that you need to use a 66' and up k frame, so the Charger that "donated" the rear also "donated the entire front suspension, bolted in perfectly.

Yep, all you had to say was Mark Campbell. I know him and his crew very well. You're right on about the 'Vette filter/regulator, I do most of my fuelie conversions with them now. S&P has a very nice kit for those also. I was trying to figure out the fuel pump, thanks for clearing that up. I usually use converted tanks from Rick's Hotrods out of El Paso. Hector over there is really sharp and they use quality Walbro pumps.

Rev.

Mark really does know his stuff. The intank pump was the better choice for me because I want to be to go anywhere anytime without the worry of the fuel pump going tits up during the summer.

Oh by the way, tti headers and exhaust with x pipe, pricey but worth the money.

Pics of the Vintage Air, torque boxes, and the radiator core support boxed in. A few more snap shots for ya.

Picture   64 polara 500   5.7 Hemi w 5spd. automatic 042.jpg

Picture   64 polara 500   5.7 Hemi w 5spd. automatic 052.jpg

Picture   64 polara 500   5.7 Hemi w 5spd. automatic 062.jpg

Could you be more specific? Do you want just the engine and related parts or the whole enchilada?

that is the cats meow. started me to rethinking the wifes 69 barracuda project

Auto Transport Service
Back