• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Launch Video

I just watched your launch videos. Brings back memories. Those launches drove me crazy. With the Cal Tracs, split monos and QA1 dble adjustable I finally got some 1.38 60’s but with inconsistently.
I went to ladder bars and those problems vanished.
I’m sure you’ve had lots of good advise now, I didn’t read all of the comments but I’ll throw my 2 cents in.
- need good good rear shocks. My QA1’s were not up to the task, needed re-valving, off the shelf they would slam open even set at full rebound.
- add some rebound to the front shocks. It’ll settle the rear down to help you get out further. Maybe keep you hooked.
- negative pinion angle and make sure your rear perches haven’t crushed. They must be boxed. When they flatten and the diff starts rocking everything gets worse.

I’m happy with my ladder bars but I’ve since seen b bodies with cal tracs, split monos and good Afco shocks hooking hard and hitting 1.30 60’s.
Pic for dreadfull memory of never knowing what’s gonna happen on launch. Rear leafs stretched right out. Yanking rear tires off the track as the front drops.
View attachment 1357926
I appreciate the input Malex.
I see a ton of fast cars on Caltracs so I’m not quite ready to give up on them.
I’ve heard that ladder bars make the car so stiff that you can’t really drive them on the street, and the streets here are really rough.
But if Im going to cut up the chassis I don’t want to do it twice.
Also, If I stay in this game, which at this point seems like I will, I will be adding more power with a new engine and have to build with appx 600 hp in mind. (Maybe)

I appreciate the input Malex.
I see a ton of fast cars on Caltracs so I’m not quite ready to give up on them.
I’ve heard that ladder bars make the car so stiff that you can’t really drive them on the street, and the streets here are really rough.
But if Im going to cut up the chassis I don’t want to do it twice.
Also, If I stay in this game, which at this point seems like I will, I will be adding more power with a new engine and have to build with appx 600 hp in mind. (Maybe)
Based on my experiences if I were back at your stage I would install a rear shock top bar and brackets that would get your shocks vertical and invest in some good rear shocks. That would likely be all you need for current and future HP target.
Should you decide to go ladders after that your just one front crossmember away from completing that step. Plus you’ve got the option to go back to leafs whenever because your spring boxes and leaf perches can be left in place. My car is still streetable but the urge to street drive it sort of dried up.

A pic of a top shock bar
1FFF4E37-42CF-4A47-A35B-F6F8E40E2A4B.jpeg

Ladders and option to revert to leafs is always there should I choose. I doubt that would ever happen though.
93CFCCCD-D5C7-49C7-8DB4-AF16CFCFCAE9.jpeg

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Auto Transport Service
Back