• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

League Bowling

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
Just curious, how many of you all are league bowlers ?
I have for years , really enjoy it.
I used to bowl 2 nights per week but now just 1.
It's better than golf, I do not have to hunt for the ball, cold beer within 50 ' at all times.

For many years I bowled 2 nights a week, in 4 leagues. I bowled 2 team leagues and 2 singles scratch leagues. I never had a 300 game but I have had quite a few 700+ series

Bowled for years back in the 70's/80's, two leagues for some of them and a dozen pro-am's. After league bowling for cash made for some late nights. Then some specially arranged bowling events on weekends involving some serious cash. Automated scoring was just starting to become a feature back then as I stepped out.

Lots of 700 series, no 300s. About 5 289s. Can’t get that 11th strike.
Was in a league at a huge bowling alley in Milwaukee, it had 72 lanes. I was rolling for my 11th strike; but it was on the weak side leaving the 7-pin swirling around. Suddenly I heard this huge roar behind me, as I was watching that 7 twirl about and then teeter finally toppling over for the strike, then came a huge applause and cheering. Turned around and there had to be a hundred or more people crowded around watching. Oly chit that knocked me out of my zone. Last ball I got too quick hitting the pocket high leaving the 10 with a slight rocking to it; but stayed standing like – ha, too bad schmuck.

Just curious, how many of you all are league bowlers ?
I have for years , really enjoy it.
I used to bowl 2 nights per week but now just 1.
It's better than golf, I do not have to hunt for the ball, cold beer within 50 ' at all times.
Nope not anymore I did when young
I was pretty good my Mom had several/a bunch '300' perfect games
when she'd show up, they'd say;
"just give the trophy to Alice & let us play for the prizes/cash"...

I had a 189 average, I won a bunch of junior tournaments until like 14 y/o
Concord Bowl, Clayton Bowl, Antioch Bowl...
I bowled at least 2 times a week probably 10 games of practice,
in between them too...
I had to quit or jeopardize my ammeter standings,
the measly value of my winnings :jackoff:
(some shitty plastic trophies, or gift certificates, most I threw away 40+ years ago)
to still be able to play HS football, it was a BS deal, the school/coach was bitching...

Then going into my sophomore summer,
I moved to my dad's rural ranch 200 miles away, in Eldorado County
not much bowling in the sticks, nearest Bowling Alley was Placerville
or in Placer Co. in Auburn both some 40-50 miles away...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I golf (not that much now) I'm still good at it too
& I don't hunt for my ball, hardly ever
& I have beer 'on my cart' in a cooler on ice
never more than 50-ish ft away, at all times
(unless on the greens or cart-path only)
& the shoes/clothes/styles/apparel are way better too...
:rofl:

I finally switched down to a 15lb ball this year. Wrist and forearm said it was time.
Crazy how much difference 1 lb makes. Yeh, 289s myself no 300, ever. The pound did not cost me any pins, same average as last year.

Nope not anymore I did when young
I was pretty good my Mom had several/a bunch '300' perfect games
when she'd show up, they'd say;
"just give the trophy to Alice & let us play for the prizes/cash"...

I had a 189 average, I won a bunch of junior tournaments until like 14 y/o
Concord Bowl, Clayton Bowl, Antioch Bowl...
I bowled at least 2 times a week probably 10 games of practice,
in between them too...
I had to quit or jeopardize my ammeter standings,
the measly value of my winnings :jackoff:
(some shitty plastic trophies, or gift certificates, most I threw away 40+ years ago)
to still be able to play HS football, it was a BS deal, the school/coach was bitching...

Then going into my sophomore summer,
I moved to my dad's rural ranch 200 miles away, in Eldorado County
not much bowling in the sticks, nearest Bowling Alley was Placerville
or in Placer Co. in Auburn both some 40-50 miles away...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I golf (not that much now) I'm still good at it too
& I don't hunt for my ball, hardly ever
& I have beer 'on my cart' in a cooler on ice
never more than 50-ish ft away, at all times
(unless on the greens or cart-path only)
& the shoes/clothes/styles/apparel are way better too...
:rofl:
You have yet to play pasture pool here in Iowa. :lol:

I love to bowl. I was in a league for a few years when I lived in upstate New York. We won first place several times. My teammates were exceptionally good. Lots of avid bowlers in Broome and Tioga Counties. Really good bowlers. I played in one or two tournaments and quite a few "no tap" tournaments. Only made it through a few rounds in the large county tournaments after not adjusting correctly for the oil patterns they laid down on the lanes. Won some money in the "no tap" tournaments; won around $125 in one of them. Lots of fun. Beer and hotdogs (with mustard, not ketchup). I have a good hooking ball and a spare ball. My average wasn't that good...it was 189. Lots of fun.

I don't know anyone in Savannah that bowls. I can only recall one bowling alley in the area. It's a fairly new one near the airport. I should probably wander over to it sometime and see what's going on.

I did bowl 12 in a row a few times. just never in the same game:rofl:

1702518214908.jpeg

I used to really love it. Sciatica took care of that, however. I miss it.

I've been a league bowler for many years, quit a couple years ago, cause I'm not in Arizona or California consistently for a decent period of time. Can't join a league, bowl a couple weeks, then move to another state for a month or two.
I did carry a deuce for a few years, threw a 299 and a couple 300s. Best series was 720 something. If it ain't an eight, it ain't great.
My girlfriend's father was my guru, and ball driller. Held the house record where I bowled, (among many placed I bowled) for several years, 300, 829 series. I miss him, he's passed of meso.

20190302_144002.jpg

20190302_143945.jpg

Peggy: Hey Al, why not stay home, and BOWL me over?!?
Al Bundy: sorry Peg, but I prefer a place where my balls are returned promptly.

Bowled for years back in the 70's/80's, two leagues for some of them and a dozen pro-am's. After league bowling for cash made for some late nights. Then some specially arranged bowling events on weekends involving some serious cash. Automated scoring was just starting to become a feature back then as I stepped out.
I have three balls that need drilling, that I got in Vegas pro-ams. I love pro-ams!
Year old reactive resin for less than a third of what they cost when they came out. Now drilling costs almost as much as the ball!

Auto Transport Service
Back