• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

League Bowling

Was in a league at a huge bowling alley in Milwaukee, it had 72 lanes. I was rolling for my 11th strike; but it was on the weak side leaving the 7-pin swirling around. Suddenly I heard this huge roar behind me, as I was watching that 7 twirl about and then teeter finally toppling over for the strike, then came a huge applause and cheering. Turned around and there had to be a hundred or more people crowded around watching. Oly chit that knocked me out of my zone. Last ball I got too quick hitting the pocket high leaving the 10 with a slight rocking to it; but stayed standing like – ha, too bad schmuck.
Was it at Red Carpet Lanes on 27th Street?

Wow, alot of good bowlers here. Used to bowl back when I was a yoot. Did pretty good, until the beers started kickin' in. By the third game, I was bowling like Fred Flintstone.

Well tonight was league, Right now I am at a 182 for the year.
3rd game I had a run of 6 going.
My old buddy the 10 pin stood solid as a rock giving me the finger In the 7th. Lol .

Well tonight was league, Right now I am at a 182 for the year.
3rd game I had a run of 6 going.
My old buddy the 10 pin stood solid as a rock giving me the finger In the 7th. Lol .
I HATE ten pins. I figure missed ten pin spares hurt my average by at least five pins, maybe ten. I hate seven pins too, when I'm bowling lefty.
(Wanted to carry a 180 lefty, never managed. Best of 175)
I'm ambidextrous.i tell people that means I can't do anything right with either hand. (Just ask my girlfriend! ). Miss two or three or four ten pins in a night (which I have done, many times), a ten pin loss on your average is EASY!

Last edited:
My brother and I have bowled together since we were kids. He’s much better than me, with a number of 300’s and 800 series. My average topped out at 203, he’s in the 220+ club. Major Mika was on our league for a number of years, and we would always put our giant killer in the anchor spot to combat him, many times with favorable results. I gave up league bowling when Nella was 8 or so, I just couldn’t be away when she needed to be transferred from her chair into bed. But, Nella likes to bowl, so sometimes we will still take Mom on a date and shoot a few frames and get a pizza. Gone are the days of big jackpots, state and national tournaments, heck, I’d be surprised if I could even win the mystery game pot anymore!

The first ball I bought and had drilled by a professional, boosted my average by close to 10 pins by the end of that first season. I think the ball and the confidence of watching the ball turn and drive through the pins helped my score.
When I quit I carried a 219 average 3rd best on our city championship team.

Was it at Red Carpet Lanes on 27th Street?
It was at Bowlero – on Burleigh St. Bowled there on Thursday nights and Fridays at a place called Krueger’s, a 12-lane house. Bowlero’s lanes were often rather oily and Krueger’s drier than a f*** despite bowling the early shift. It was like playing two different games btw those houses. Did better on oilier lanes having a 12-pin higher average at Bowlero. Nice thing was I did pretty decent at tournaments when they typically oiled the lanes thick.

I HATE ten pins
Posts bring back a lot of memories; my folks bowled in their company leagues. There’s more to the game than novices think and this is what got me into bowling, all the ways to maneuver the ball learning from some great bowlers, setup on the deck, and of course the type of ball and how it can be drilled affecting its hooking action. That was most of the thrill for me. Owner at one of the houses I bowled at would drill my bowling balls, measure my hand and drill the ball while I watched him and would tell me how it was going to react on the lane: One of them he drilled said “This is going to hook later for you than the others ones you have.” It worked well for me on drier lanes; roll it down and seemed to do nothing until about 5-feet or so from the pins and zip it would hook hard.

Ten-pins though were my nemeses, 90% of it I know was mental. Improved some keeping a rock-hard plastic ball for those using two fingers in the ball. Still, when I’d allow myself to get psyched out on that damn pin, they’d stay standing. MO, there’s some similarities with golf. A standing 10-pin reminded me of a lipped-out putt from 3-feet, or less, lol. Seemed as though the closer I would be to making it, the tougher it was to swallow the miss..

Posts bring back a lot of memories; my folks bowled in their company leagues. There’s more to the game than novices think and this is what got me into bowling, all the ways to maneuver the ball learning from some great bowlers, setup on the deck, and of course the type of ball and how it can be drilled affecting its hooking action. That was most of the thrill for me. Owner at one of the houses I bowled at would drill my bowling balls, measure my hand and drill the ball while I watched him and would tell me how it was going to react on the lane: One of them he drilled said “This is going to hook later for you than the others ones you have.” It worked well for me on drier lanes; roll it down and seemed to do nothing until about 5-feet or so from the pins and zip it would hook hard.

Ten-pins though were my nemeses, 90% of it I know was mental. Improved some keeping a rock-hard plastic ball for those using two fingers in the ball. Still, when I’d allow myself to get psyched out on that damn pin, they’d stay standing. MO, there’s some similarities with golf. A standing 10-pin reminded me of a lipped-out putt from 3-feet, or less, lol. Seemed as though the closer I would be to making it, the tougher it was to swallow the miss..
It isn't the leaving a ten pin that gets me, that's gonna happen. it's missing the damn spare that drives me nuts. Some nights I couldn't walk down the lane and kick it over.

I consider myself a good bowler if I can knock down at least 7 pins with 3 balls.

Not many would watch pro-bowling; but I would when I had time during my bowling days. Those old pro’s worked their butts off going from one city to the next and it was pay for performance; no contracts guaranteeing a nice income. Got to know a couple of them at pro-ams; not an easy life. Some of their fingers looked like hamburger meat. And a few so-called lofty guys I worked with didn’t consider it a ‘sport’. Same guys that would tell me racing was like driving down a busy freeway. Really? GTFOH.

Yep, same guys that would spend their entire weekends watching college basketball talking to each other about the scores on Mondays when I was building my car or doing other fix-its. They were not impressed. “Why don’t you just pay someone to do that?” And same guys that would call me at midnight when something went to chit in their house asking “You know what can I do?” One occasion it was, “Do you know where to shut the water off?” No I don’t! Geezuz..

Auto Transport Service
Back