• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leak on a four speed

71RRHI

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
This is my first four speed. There is a leak from this plug under the neutral switch. What is this plug for? Can I remove it and replace the gasket?
20231230_144903.jpg

Yes you can replace the gaskets contact Brewers transmission for the parts, That part is for the reverse gear lever it has a spring an a ball bearing in side so be mindful when removing it.

This is my first four speed. There is a leak from this plug under the neutral switch. What is this plug for? Can I remove it and replace the gasket?
View attachment 1583563
That is not a neutral switch. It is your back up light switch. Make sure its not leaking from that. I have seen way more switch leaks than the reverse detent leaks.

Usually it's the O ring on the reverse shift shaft.... You know, the very first part installed in the case before anything else....

That is not a neutral switch. It is your back up light switch. Make sure its not leaking from that. I have seen way more switch leaks than the reverse detent leaks.
Looking more closely it does appear to be leaking from the back up switch. Not from the threads but the switch. Looks like a newer switch. Possible cheap china repop. Any recommendations on where to get a new switch. I know Eric Pearson recommend Brewers.

20240101_163534.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back