• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leave as race cars or restore to original?

ed-pv

Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Just picked up a 67 GTX and 67 R/T. You can read the story here:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...-couple-of-67-b-bodies.139340/#post-910790795

My question to you guys is do you think I should leave them as 1/4 mile cars or restore them back to original? I have not personally run down the 1/4 mile since the early 90's and just do cruise-ins and generally drive my muscle cars; often using them as daily drives for weeks at a time weather permitting. The two I picked up are really cool nostalgia drag race cars, but I don't think it would take much to get them back on the roads.

Thanks for your input!

IMG_4829.JPG

mine had a fuel cell and two nitrous tanks in the trunk, on my way back to original, big money for those missing parts, leaning to more of a resto mod now but mainly original looking.

I wrote this in another thread that Day 2 cars are hot right now. From what I have been reading and the people I've met, Guys that were in the middle of the 60's thru 70's era (like me) favor the stuff we did like wheels, headers,cams, gears,intakes, carbs,etc. We made cars our own. Now this is just me,stone stock cars are boring.
That said,It is a judgement call as what market value in the future will bring if that is what you may be looking for.

I'd do whatever makes you happy, if you like the look then just make the changes to make it more steetable.

Not sure what your wanting from them, are you flipping or just having fun with them because you like them and have no interest in profit?
Personally I would do just as gdrill stated, get them street legal and enjoy them. Those would make some sweet Saturday night cruisers and would grab anyone's attention when you pulled in.

If they're pump-gas....use them. If race-gas....broom them.

Did you see the thread about cars from back in the day? Stone stock is nice but fatties out back and a little noisy is cool!!

I would leave them as is and enjoy them.....

ohh and putting the lettering back on the doors.......

Id say keep them as is. Its kinda like erasing history putting them back to stock. As stated above lettering back on and honor the old couple that ran them in the past. Thats cool to me. Bring them back to stock and its just another restored b-body.

Here is one(yeah it's not a mopar).My brother had back in 1970.
LS6 454 4 speed 4.10 gears from the factory. Yep Day 2 car with all the speed shop(remember those?) goodies. Never drove it because back we were from they got stolen quite often. Sat in the garage for over 40 years.1,092. Yep that's all the miles. After he died this January we started cleaning up and found some of the original parts along with the Cragar S/S wheels. Now the new owner is going to sell,but what to do? Restore to factory or leave it as Day 2 ? He has been told to do nothing don't even clean it and sell as found. He still is deciding.
It's a tough call and you got a great find with those cars !!!

0130171521.jpg IMG_2687.jpg IMG_2716.jpg Chevelle 2.jpg Chevelle 1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one(yeah it's not a mopar).My brother had back in 1970.
LS6 454 4 speed 4.10 gears from the factory. Yep Day 2 car with all the speed shop(remember those?) goodies. Never drove it because back we were from they got stolen quite often. Sat in the garage for over 40 years.1,092. Yep that's all the miles. After he died this January we started cleaning up and found some of the original parts along with the Cragar S/S wheels. Now the new owner is going to sell,but what to do? Restore to factory or leave it as day 2 ? He has been told to do nothing don't even clean it and sell as found. He still is deciding.
It's a tough call and you got a great find with those cars !!!

View attachment 526608 View attachment 526609 View attachment 526610 View attachment 526611 View attachment 526612
Comparing an all original low mileage slightly modified 70 Chevelle SS454 4 speed...to a 67 GTX....is a night and day difference IMHO....

Now if it was a HEMI gtx 4spd then it would be a tough decision like your Chevelle

If you watch chasing classic cars that guy suggests leaving the dust on them. It shows that the car has not been messed with in years. Shows its age and how well it was stored.

My GTX was a race car back in the day....but it's nowhere near competitive now, so looking stock is the way to go for me.
upload_2017-10-14_19-10-36.png

upload_2017-10-14_19-11-55.png

Comparing an all original low mileage slightly modified 70 Chevelle SS454 4 speed...to a 67 GTX....is a night and day difference IMHO....

Now if it was a HEMI gtx 4spd then it would be a tough decision like your Chevelle

Just leave it as it is. You see "cars restored to factory appearance" everywhere and it's just boring.
Also, restoring a car from 1970 to factory condition means you have to use only N.O.S. parts and finding laquer paint and spray it as bad as they did at the factory...
I would keep it the way it is. It is more original now then it ever will be if you start messing with it!

Just leave it as it is. You see "cars restored to factory appearance" everywhere and it's just boring.
Also, restoring a car from 1970 to factory condition means you have to use only N.O.S. parts and finding laquer paint and spray it as bad as they did at the factory...
I would keep it the way it is. It is more original now then it ever will be if you start messing with it!
Depends on the rarity and what the owners intent is...also what they can afford...In the end it is their car...

So I guess in your eyes my GTX restoration is "boring" over in the restoration section? Based on the activity in that thread kinda begs rebuttal on your "boring" statement.....

I like to see all types from day one appearance, survivors, jalopies, and race cars....I consider no group "boring"....The variety is our hobby and all are exciting to see...

I also say leave them as is. They are cool and also those two cars are the worst to try and find good factory pieces. Very little if anything is reproduced for 67s. Good luck!

You can make them stock, but, they'll never be original again unless you can find all the parts it came with from the factory. If it has any interesting race history, I personally would leave it as a race car. Otherwise I like stock restorations myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back