• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LemonWedge 470 build thread

Sounds and looks great .
My hot oil pressure is 19 , frreway 40 , on track traps @ 65 ish
20/50 brad penn , still somewhat regular street use .

Tex

Didn’t make it to Woodburn this weekend as we had hoped. The wife has been dealing with some complications from recent surgery, and she wasn’t up to the trip.
I did however make it out to Bremerton for some 1/8-mile passes yesterday, and was pleased with the outing.
First off - the bullet stayed in-tact with all the parts remaining in their intended locations. Win!
Second, we went rounds! There was no TNT available, so I entered Pro figuring I’d take my one time hit, and see what I could manage from there. Turned out I made it to the 4th round with a fresh combo; not a bad shake down trip…. Win #2.
1st pass I may have short shifted it a bit and it went 6.78 @ 100. Not very fast, but it felt good and came back together, so I took it. It really started to pull hard at the top of each gear, with me hitting the lever at 6500. It may want to be shifted later than this…. Lots to learn here.

Rd 1 I rolled up on former world champ Troy Johnston in his small-block Duster. I dialed 6.79 to his 7.02 and found the need for 2 big rips on the tall pedal at the top. Somehow I ended up dead-7 and .035 overall to put Troy away early…. That’s another Win! 60 & 330 times indicated it was faster than pass #1 by a good .04+.
Next round, similar result. A few rips and this time even a stab at the brakes for the winlight. Timeslip showed .002 at the tree, and even though I hadn’t made a single change, again the incrementals showed we were going in the right direction. I extrapolated about a 6.70 from this pass.
Rd. 3 I was handed a red-light win, so I ran it out and it went 6.703 at 101. I felt like I had a handle on it at this point….
As often happens when you start to feel you’re in control: I went .010 red in rd 4. This time the car fell off to a .74, but I think I short shifted it as I was disgusted with the hue of the bottom lamp looking back at me, and don’t think my head was in the right spot.

A few items of to still address:
- I have no idea where my A/F is. Since I’m addicted to winlights, I didn’t want to make mid-race changes and didn’t even look at a plug.
- the 440-source valley pan leaked at the passenger bank pretty badly. I’ll be forced to remove the intake and look at it to assess a remedy here, hopefully I don’t have to remove the head.
- Timing jumped around a bit when the light was on it. Not sure if it’s my cheap timing light or if my 12-year old second hand Mallory dizzy is finally showing its age. I may be in the market for a new distributor (??).

Next weekend is our season opener. Based on what I saw this weekend, I anticipate being somewhere in the 10.55 - 10.65 range as it sits. I also anticipate finding that it’s dead rich, so If I’m able to make some improvements there, it very well might get faster before I even begin whittling away at it.
I’ll need to figure out the hood and scoop direction. If I can carve some weight, and feed it fresh air with this step, that may be worth a tenth. A carb spacer may also pay dividend.
Eventually, it needs better headers and bigger exhaust. Currently using Hooker Comp 1-7/8” w/ 3” collectors and exhaust. 2” tuned primaries and 3-1/2” collectors are probably worth a bit. I’m sure more weight loss and the typical tinkering will yield results. Eventually, we may be near the bottom tens range that a few have said I should expect.

Ill keep everyone posted with one more post after this coming weekend. Outside of that, this beast is out of its cage and this thread is near dead. Thanks for following along!

8AF78082-56C4-460A-8B60-885DF7B121A2.jpeg

Last edited:
my 12-year old second hand Mallory dizzy is finally showing its age. I may be in the market for a new distributor (??).
You probably can't wait a few weeks but I'm going to be selling my FBO Ignition system when I install the new Progression Ignition system.
If you aren't familiar with the Progression, it's like no other. That's the only reason why I'm selling the FBO.

Eventually, it needs better headers and bigger exhaust. Currently using Hooker Comp 1-7/8” w/ 3” collectors and exhaust. 2” tuned primaries and 3-1/2” collectors are probably worth a bit. I’m sure more weight loss and the typical tinkering will yield results. Eventually, we may be near the bottom tens range that a few have said I should expect.

View attachment 1458759
I'll let you know if the bigger headers are worth it. These are the hooker super comps I mentioned a couple of pages ago. Great job on the first outing, should get faster the more the motor loosen up.

0501231558.jpg

0501231557.jpg

Last edited:
Didn’t make it to Woodburn this weekend as we had hoped. The wife has been dealing with some complications from recent surgery, and she wasn’t up to the trip.
I did however make it out to Bremerton for some 1/8-mile passes yesterday, and was pleased with the outing.
First off - the bullet stayed in-tact with all the parts remaining in their intended locations. Win!
Second, we went rounds! There was no TNT available, so I entered Pro figuring I’d take my one time hit, and see what I could manage from there. Turned out I made it to the 4th round with a fresh combo; not a bad shake down trip…. Win #2.
1st pass I may have short shifted it a bit and it went 6.78 @ 100. Not very fast, but it felt good and came back together, so I took it. It really started to pull hard at the top of each gear, with me hitting the lever at 6500. It may want to be shifted later than this…. Lots to learn here.

Rd 1 I rolled up on former world champ Troy Johnston in his small-block Duster. I dialed 6.79 to his 7.02 and found the need for 2 big rips on the tall pedal at the top. Somehow I ended up dead-7 and .035 overall to put Troy away early…. That’s another Win! 60 & 330 times indicated it was faster than pass #1 by a good .04+.
Next round, similar result. A few rips and this time even a stab at the brakes for the winlight. Timeslip showed .002 at the tree, and even though I hadn’t made a single change, again the incrementals showed we were going in the right direction. I extrapolated about a 6.70 from this pass.
Rd. 3 I was handed a red-light win, so I ran it out and it went 6.703 at 101. I felt like I had a handle on it at this point….
As often happens when you start to feel you’re in control: I went .010 red in rd 4. This time the car fell off to a .74, but I think I short shifted it as I was disgusted with the hue of the bottom lamp looking back at me, and don’t think my head was in the right spot.

- I have no idea where my A/F is. Since I’m addicted to winlights, I didn’t want to make mid-race changes and didn’t even look at a plug.
- the 440-source valley pan leaked at the passenger bank pretty badly. I’ll be forced to remove the intake and look at it to assess a remedy here, hopefully I don’t have to remove the head.
- Timing jumped around a bit when the light was on it. Not sure if it’s my cheap timing light or if my 12-year old second hand Mallory dizzy is finally showing its age. I may be in the market for a new distributor (??).

Next weekend is our season opener. Based on what I saw this weekend, I anticipate being somewhere in the 10.55 - 10.65 range as it sits. I also anticipate finding that it’s dead rich, so If I’m able to make some improvements there, it very well might get faster before I even begin whittling away at it.
I’ll need to figure out the hood and scoop direction. If I can carve some weight, and feed it fresh air with this step, that may be worth a tenth. A carb spacer may also pay dividend.

Ill keep everyone posted with one more post after this coming weekend. Outside of that, this beast is out of its cage and this thread is near dead. Thanks for following along!

View attachment 1458759
nice first outing

Tex

Lemon what is the race weight of your awesome car ?

Lemon what is the race weight of your awesome car ?

Last time I weighed it, it was 3600 lbs (without me in it)

Since then I’ve gone from an 8-3/4 to a Dana. Removed the factory gas tank in favor of a 12-gal cell. Gone to skinnies and ET fronts. As well as a few other non-weight related changes. I’m guessing it’s around 3620. Luckily, I only weigh in at 170. So in the beams it’s probably around just under 3800.

It’s an all steel, factory glass, full interior plus a mild steel roll-bar load.

Just discovered and read this whole thread including the startup video. Awesome! You took your time, worked carefully, did your research, and cut no corners. I hope it yields awesome results for a long time!

Just discovered and read this whole thread including the startup video. Awesome! You took your time, worked carefully, did your research, and cut no corners. I hope it yields awesome results for a long time!

Thanks! I hope for the same.

Congrats :thumbsup:
it sounds like it's coming along nicely
Was a good 1st outing too, it will get better
not too many issues either

#1 You sound like, you had fun
#2 got some 'seat of the pants' time
#3 got some win lights
#4 come back home with it 'still not broken' :poke:
that's a total successful outing, Win Win Win Win in my book

good luck
in/at the Opening of the 1/4-mile track

Popcorn The Stig Eating.gif

Made my 1st 1/4-mile passes this weekend. (4) full out TnT passes:

10.57 @ 127
10.58 @ 127
10.61 @ 126 (heat of the afternoon)
10.55 @ 127

All in all, I’m pretty happy. the car is running real good. The best news to report is that my fears about gearing were put to rest. With 4.56’s & 30” tire, its crossing the stripe at exactly 7000rpm. I’m fine with that. I’ve been shifting it at 6600.
the bad news is that the Source sheetmetal valley pan just doesn’t seal to the 270 heads. I’ve purchased a TrickFlow valley plate, and am now faced with removing the heads to swap this out and stop the oil leak issue. I’m really mad at myself for trying to save $100 there. It’s now costing me bigtime. Note to self: Either do the job right, or don’t do it!

Pictured is the lone Mopar in a sea of my buddies chebbies. LtoR:
Aaron Williams 67 Chevelle Post 496” BBC - 10.0 car.
Mike Driscolls 69 Camaro 400” SBC - 10.1x car
LemonWedge
Steve Pringles 67 Chevelle 350 SBC - 11.50 car.
Dan Weilands 66Chevelle Post - supercharged LS3 masterpiece.

5356AF79-861E-4EAD-A81D-3725A91A80AD.png

That things got some mid 10.4's in it. Very nice.
Doug

I love it. You're just a few tenths behind that Camaro with the ugly scoop. I would do whatever it takes to keep it a flat hood if it were mine. Nothing worse than getting your ticket punched by a no-scoop car.

Nice consistent passes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
it's a got a few 10ths more in there too...

Congrats

View attachment 1458759

—-
My timing marks used to jump around a lot. I separated #1 wire from the others and it smartened up.
In the off season i installed a crank trigger and holy smokes the timing mark is rock solid now.

before pulling a head I would see if you can slide Trickflow plate in from the front . seeing as how the raised port is not flush to plate . I hope you bought the one with removable centre . ET to MPH is not too far off . Solid passes .

Tex

I've swapped Indy valley plates with the heads on.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back