• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Less 150lb

ozymaxwedge

Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
If our car with naturally aspirated big block on a 9”radial runs 1.38 60, 111 half track and 9.70 @139 @3650lb what should it do at 3500 neat ?
We have been looking at up grading engine bits like comp and head flow but I can see the 150lb that can go with glass hood bumpers and battery ect.

Cheers

Wallace calculator says 9.57 at just under 141. Personally, I wouldn't count on it, seems optimistic to me.
On the other hand, the old old saying was 100lbs is a tenth. IF that's true and correct, Wallace looks about right.

Try adding some weight and see how much it slows down. Work it backwards.

I move weight in my car to run index all the time. 150lbs is worth very close to .15 in ET if traction doesn't change.
Doug

Thank you for the replies, definitely going to drop the pounds.
Our hood on the scales today came in at 79lb ! The new glass hood is 26lb apparently, so -53lb
Will be more in the front bumper swap , brackets, horn delete ect.
Don’t know what is achieved by taking weight from the rear but there is a 40lb saving in going to a lithium battery

I race with a motorcycle battery in my autocross car

AGM batteries are a lot lighter than traditional lead acid, too.

Hi all,
If our car with naturally aspirated big block on a 9”radial runs 1.38 60, 111 half track and 9.70 @139 @3650lb what should it do at 3500 neat ?
We have been looking at up grading engine bits like comp and head flow but I can see the 150lb that can go with glass hood bumpers and battery ect.

Cheers
Don't know if you are following full metal jacket about how to get your ride on a diet. But plenty of these you can do to loose some weight.

Our hood on the scales today came in at 79lb ! The new glass hood is 26lb apparently, so -53lb
Don’t know what is achieved by taking weight from the rear but there is a 40lb saving in going to a lithium battery
Yep. I reported that i thought i remembered that my 62 savoy hood weighed 75 lbs, and some here said I was crazy.
Do you have a local source for glass parts down under? I'm sure there is no one here in this country making parts for your car.

The basic rule I've heard for the last 50 years....100lbs = 1/10 of a second.

Yep. I reported that i thought i remembered that my 62 savoy hood weighed 75 lbs, and some here said I was crazy.
Do you have a local source for glass parts down under? I'm sure there is no one here in this country making parts for your car.
Yep, have a guy that does the bumpers and another that will do the hood , ordering them now .

IMG_1234.jpeg

Made my own fiberglas trunk lid and am thinking about making door skins that hang with velcro. Made the trunk lid mold with plaster and bed sheets.

I've heard 10 pounds equals 1 horsepower

I’m just in the process of removing the steel hood with 4” hemi scoop. 75lbs including the hinges c/w stock springs.

The fiberglass hood with Glasstek 3” Hemi Scoop in the picture below weighs 29lbs. Add another 10lbs for the paint, modified hinges and prop rod. I’m expecting 35-36 lbs off the front end with this swap. My target weight of 3200lbs with 6 gallons fuel less driver is on target.

IMG_9842.jpeg

Rear weight removal in the rear can bite a guy in the a$$ sometimes. Some guys here will remember about 5 years back when Mike Gaines replaced his rear deck lid on his 66 Coronet with fibreglass and some other weight savings. His traction went out the window. He reinstalled the weight.

I am looking at putting my Challenger on a diet as well. Wasn't there a post/link through the years that listed different parts a weights? ex: steel hood vs. fiberglass; small block versus big block etc. and people just kept adding to it?
Who are good sources for fiberglass/ carbon fiber body panels?

Last edited:
With no ballast mine is 310 lbs nose heavy. It hooks really well. We move 80lbs in and out of the trunk all the time. Doesn't bother the 60 ft at all. However when we reduce timing from 35 to 27 along with weight in the rear 100-200 lbs to run index (from 9.0x to 9.25). It kills the 60 ft especially with high water grains. Believe it or not part of that is tire spin. It just doesn't hit the tire hard enough to plant it. It's an ongoing battle. Going to try something other than timing to slow it for index next year. When we run it flat out the 60ft varies less than .00x. Until late evening when it the dew point drops. Even then seldom more than .01 in 60ft from pass to pass. So you can make it work nose heavy. It just takes some different settings.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back