• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets discuss headlights

As I am planning my 71 Charger build I am currently thinking about the headlights. This will e a restomod with a 5.7 and a TKX so I am not interested in the factory sealed beams. I have already obtained 4 Hella glass housings as well as 4 Hella H4 bulbs but then started thinking about this. Before anyone jumps on here, yes I will be using relays for the low beams and a relay for the high beams.

So I have some options as it relates to wiring (we will talk bulbs in a sec)
1. wire it so that all 4 lights come one for the low beams and only the inside bulbs light up for the high beams.
2. wire it so that all 4 lights work on low and high beam
3. wire it so that only the outside lights come on in low beam (not sure why I would do that but its an option) and then the inside lights are high beam only.

In reference to bulbs I currently have Halogen bulbs but have been looking at some of the cheap LED bulbs found on Amazon. I am not going to spend $500 on LED lights for this, but would consider perhaps the $50/set bulbs. If they suck I can always go back to the Halogen.

I should probably note that I have Halogen in my 70 Challenger and 73 Cuda and they seem good but to be honest I have never driven either at night so its not real conclusive.

So gimme your constructive thoughts (if your think factory sealed beams are "just fine" then move on please).
Octane Lighting makes a brighter than stock halogen bulb 5001 and 5006 they are way brighter than stock and are the same size and shape as stock i got them for both my classics and very happy with themyou can get them on ebay for $29.99 a pair or at High Octanes web site. free shipping on ebay. They say 30% brighter and i believe it.

I looked up Octane lighting and everything I am finding is the lens and bulbs, but they have LED rings which I am not looking for.

I like the traditional low beam on the outside light and high beam on the inside look.

Ooohh.... sorry, I thought "headlights" was about
upload_2022-3-1_9-47-29.jpeg

My solution was to install (4) Holley Retro-Brite LEDS, made my own Y hook-up adapter. with ceramic connectors. So I now have (4) low or (4) high, no relays required. Plenty of wide dispersion illumination...

Just my $0.02...

Holley_LEDs.jpg

I always put my headlights on relays, I've been building my own kit for sometime, in fact I recently found a very nice compact relay setup that is pretty inexpensive but its size allows it to be mounted anywhere and its virtually hidden, contains 2 relays and 2 fuses.
Old post, i know, you could make a few bucks making your brand of headlight relays, just saying.

@Slantsixdan needs to read this thread. Comedy is a good thing. You know, there were good reasons why headlights were designed and wired the way they were for 75? years.

Even modern cars with LED headlights typically use relays (I cannot speak for all brands or models).

Auto Transport Service
Back