• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see your custom tools - the ones you can't live without...

I like this thread idea. I don't have much to contribute yet but I do like the idea of making tools to get certain jobs done.

I wanted to see if I could make a cheap way to bend some relatively thin metal. Has 1/2 bolts on the right and left to tighten the bar down to the metal to be bent. This works for me and I plan to make a beefier version for thicker gauge stuff.

View attachment 316208

A steel home security door works great as a metal break for sheet metal. Open the door slide the metal between the hinges and close the door. instant 90deg bend. :) It does take it's toll on the door frame after awhile.

I just found this one.

Attachments

• 20160330_184607.jpg
    20160330_184607.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 510
I have a few home made tools (besides my personal one) but they are really nothing much anything out of the ordinary except for a torsion bar removal tool. It was made from 316 stainless and machined to fit various size bars and was big enough to hit with a hammer. It was held together with socket allen head screws (4) and were countersunk below the OD but like so many tools I've loaned out, it didn't come back and for the life of me, can't remember who borrowed it last. Needless to say (there's another saying :D), I don't loan tools anymore!! Anyone want to start another thread about loaned out tools that never came home?? It pisses me off to the max! Hey, another overused phrase lol

Here is one I made years ago but just used again today. New carpet in my Charger. I learned a long time ago that drilling a hole in carpeting is fools play. I made a tool to punch holes in the carpet for seat bolts and seat belt anchors. I took a 6" length of 1/4" pipe and inserted it in a 1" dowel to keep from burning my hand. I then insert a scratch awl up through the floor through the carpet where I want the hole. Then heat the end of the pipe with a benz-o-matic torch. Slide it down over the awl and presto..........nice round hole that melts the carpet fibers so there is no guessing where the hole goes. Melted right through the sound deadener too!

100_7635.jpg100_7636.jpg100_7639.jpg

100_7635.jpg 100_7636.jpg 100_7639.jpg

Here is one I made years ago but just used again today. New carpet in my Charger. I learned a long time ago that drilling a hole in carpeting is fools play. I made a tool to punch holes in the carpet for seat bolts and seat belt anchors. I took a 6" length of 1/4" pipe and inserted it in a 1" dowel to keep from burning my hand. I then insert a scratch awl up through the floor through the carpet where I want the hole. Then heat the end of the pipe with a benz-o-matic torch. Slide it down over the awl and presto..........nice round hole that melts the carpet fibers so there is no guessing where the hole goes. Melted right through the sound deadener too!

View attachment 316372View attachment 316374View attachment 316375

Brilliant.

I need to make one of these I hate installing new carpet just because of the hole hunt

View attachment 316372View attachment 316374View attachment 316375

Talk about a cool tool.
That thing is worthy of chrome plating the pipe and making the handle out of fine finished walnut.
Well done sir.

- - - Updated - - -

While probably useless for anything but breaking a window, that thing is cool as hell.

Here are a couple dash bezel keys I made for my 1962 Belvedere. Both are made out of large washers filed down to fit.
20160401_184817.jpg

Built a gauge tester. Nothing groundbreaking but it gets used quite a bit. Housing and parts bought from Mouser.
20160401_185334.jpg20160401_185452.jpg

And I just built this stool from a 15x6.5 mopar rim and some scrap steel bases. Vinyl is nos rose beige.
20160401_184824.jpg

Upper Control arm Bushing remover. Made it from some plumbing pipe.

20160404_230807.jpg

Id like to see more details on this stand. about to start putting my 72 GTX back together

Here are some pics of a drive train cart I built out of wood. I don't have a welder so this worked out just fine for me. i have used it for three installations. Probably had it in and out of my Charger a dozen times during mock up and final install100_7667.jpg100_7668.jpg100_7669.jpg100_7671.jpg100_6860.jpg100_7304.jpg

100_7667.jpg 100_7668.jpg 100_7669.jpg 100_7671.jpg 100_6860.jpg 100_7304.jpg

I just had to make a tool to use to get the link pin that connects the brake booster to the brake pedal on my 74 Roadrunner. You needs hands like a 10-year old girl to reach up into the pedal bracket, plus extra hands to work the pedal and pull down on the booster rod, which is more hands than I have. :)

I ended up cutting a piece of 1/2" x 1/8" steel bar, and used electrical tape to tape the link pin to the bar. This let me slide the pin into position and hold it there with the same hand I used to move the brake pedal and just kept manipulating the pedal until the pin slipped into position. Then I gave the steel rod a tug and the pin slipped out from the electrical tape and viola!

Auto Transport Service
Back