• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lets start CAR movie thread.

I think that we as car guys seem to tolerate mediocre acting or production quality when a cool car is in a movie. I have to put Vanishing point 1971 as my favorite car movie. Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is in the top 5 too.
I am not a drag race guy so Two Lane Blacktop is pretty much lost on me. The movie had some long scenes with no dialogue. That may be reality but was boring for me as a viewer. The hippie chick bouncing from guy to guy, the slow cross country "race" with the GTO guy, the overnight wait in the small town....It detracted from what I wanted to see: A couple of car dudes hustling up street races.
Bullitt was maybe a good movie if you liked a S L O W burn. That movie came out a few years before Dirty Harry, a movie with far more grit and intensity. The chase scene was a collection of some great footage A N D some identical scenes shot from different angles. How many green Volkswagens did they pass in that chase?

The Wraith was a product of the 80s starring Nick Cassavettes and a young Charlie Sheen. Many people discount movies from this era but this one did have some cool and funny scenes, several old cars and a wicked fiberglass concept car built by Chrysler.

The movie that inspired The Dukes of Hazzard was titled Moonrunners. Watching it, you can see the similarities and differences. The "Duke" boys ran moonshine, raced a dirt track car and worked for a man they called "Uncle Jessie". They both used Mopars as their delivery cars but theirs were big C body cars. Not so much a car movie as one telling the story of bootleggers, I still enjoy watching it.

Finish Line was a little known movie using unknown actors and crew. It was based in small town Americana and featured some very cool Mopar iron. The acting is what you'd expect for a small independant movie, yet I liked the heartfelt theme of the movie.

I just realized this thread was in 2013 LOL.

All the great movies have been mentioned. I may have mentioned "Race with the Devil" at one time, don't recall.

Watch it if you haven't seen it. Warren Oates and Peter Fonda star. It's directed by Jack Starrett who played Art Gault in the "First Blood" movie.

Kick *** vehicle stunts and a good movie from the 70s.

200-111111221.gif

Last edited:
Gumball Rally. Michael Sarrasin.
Centered on Sea to Shining Sea Cannonball. Produced well before Cannonball Run. 427 AC roadster & a Ferrari 275 GTB(Daytona) banging heads.
Barry Newman(Vanishing Point) did another b 70's car flick called Fear is the Key. He drove a 72 Torino Gran Sport(full fastback)
The same car throughout whole movie......the car still ran when they filled the film cans........simply amazing the amount of abuse that single blue oval car took. One scene is the car jumping to a departing ferry.....kinked the unibody big time at cowl box,,,, kept on pounding ground.

Thunder Road (1958)
ol' Robert Mitchum movie about a bootlegger & his cars
his son James Mitchum was in booth
Moonrunners (1975)

What happened to the OP Benno440? He has not been around since October.

"Aloha Bobby and Rose" with Paul Lemat (John Milner, American Graffiti) Didn't care for the movie, but I am kinda partial to the '70's street machine look of the Camaro.

aloha-bobby-and-rose-camaro-1896.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back