• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter pecking?

prhousejr

Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
When I bought my 68 satellite the guy told me it had not been driven but about 2000 miles since 1973 or 74. Seems like everyday a different lifter is pecking. Sometimes they seem to pump up fine after a few seconds. Sometimes It may take a few minutes. This morning I have one that did not pump up. Any of you old schoolers out there know any tricks without tearing the engine down? Seafoam? pb blaster sprayed down push rod?? this old car runs great, I really hate to tear it down. I was wanting to avoid that all together, and save money for the big block. any tricks or tips are welcomed....

You might try putting the recommended dose of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. I used to put that in the gas tank of my mechanically injected 911 T to lube the pump plungers. Good stuff. Maybe some good warm up cycles will help also.

You might try putting the recommended dose of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. I used to put that in the gas tank of my mechanically injected 911 T to lube the pump plungers. Good stuff. Maybe some good warm up cycles will help also.

I think that is what I will do, Thanks

If it has a 318LA in it prhousejr its going to have a lifter peck when you start it cold. And there is really nothing you can do about it. I will tell you this with your cars age and hardly drove all these years. The valve seals are hard as a rock and starting to fall apart. If a grain of manages to get to the oil pump it'll lock the pump and break the shaft. "been there done that" If it was mine I'd replace the seals and put in a new set of lifters you only have to remove the valve covers for that. NAPA has a lifter removel tool to get them out of there bores, then you can use a magnet to get them the rest of the way. reverse to put them back. NAPA also has a tool for the valve springs head on engine. If you don't have air put the piston half way down on the cylender your working on stuff about 18" opf 3/8th " rope in the spark plug hole then turn the piston hard up against the rope to hold the valves.< you ask for old school

UPDATE........got a can of seafoam, i know, i know.........but it worked. put it in the crank case, got car up to op. temp. let it cool off several times........no more clicking lifter, and it may be me but, the car runs tons better. I put some thru the carb too. I totally agree patrick, sitting that long, cant be good.......BUT, I want a BIG block, not gonna put to much into the 318.

If it has a 318LA in it prhousejr its going to have a lifter peck when you start it cold. And there is really nothing you can do about it. I will tell you this with your cars age and hardly drove all these years. The valve seals are hard as a rock and starting to fall apart. If a grain of manages to get to the oil pump it'll lock the pump and break the shaft. "been there done that" If it was mine I'd replace the seals and put in a new set of lifters you only have to remove the valve covers for that. NAPA has a lifter removel tool to get them out of there bores, then you can use a magnet to get them the rest of the way. reverse to put them back. NAPA also has a tool for the valve springs head on engine. If you don't have air put the piston half way down on the cylender your working on stuff about 18" opf 3/8th " rope in the spark plug hole then turn the piston hard up against the rope to hold the valves.< you ask for old school

I love the rope trick. Bonus points for that one!!

started car this morning to drive in....No pecking, in fact it has not pecked in a long time....Just went to lunch HOLY COW!!!......PECK, PECK, PECK!!!! Engine is warm, runs great, no power loss. Any chance this could be something besides a lifter????

Its a lifter! One thing I wanted to add when you do the valve seals, drop the pan and clean it and the pickup out.

Auto Transport Service
Back