• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lightweight fasteners?

Not to turn away from the subject at hand, but Willie personally told me a few stories and especially the one concerning his trip to New York. What a race that would have been indeed. From one Grudger to another. Nice to meet you Sir.
Too refreshen, it's not only the small fasteners themselves that make a difference, but the small things held on or supported by the fasteners that help trim those pounds. Here's a pre-finished door window track bracket. Under the radar, but nevertheless...........Less.
DSC00740.JPG

Too refreshen, it's not only the small fasteners themselves that make a difference, but the small things held on or supported by the fasteners that help trim those pounds. Here's a pre-finished door window track bracket. Under the radar, but nevertheless...........Less.View attachment 1226948
What some people will do to achieve a goal. Trust me, this is not me, but a friend that is trying to have the look of stock fasteners. Here is an UNFINISHED version that when it's completed will fool the untrained eye unless you're a concours show judge.

20220125_080312.jpg

Who’s going to be the first to reproduce their entire car body in aluminum? I mean the WHOLE thing.

Maybe it’s already happened!

Who’s going to be the first to reproduce their entire car body in aluminum? I mean the WHOLE thing.

Maybe it’s already happened!
I've often dreamed of an all aluminum early B-body, but honestly it would have to be balanced by weight in the rear to a degree to keep it planted.
My concept? LOL. This could be for any car model.
*An all aluminum front end and doors just like the A864 Hemi sedans of 1964, then a Titanium roof and C pillar, interior floor and rear quarters ending with a steel trunk floor, steel deck lid and steel rear bumper.* How's that for a well balance weight transfer? Can someone fund this please? LOL.
All kidding' aside, some of the Camaro owners got lucky when a company recently made entire aluminum front ends for their cars. Supposedly didn't sell so well even with more Camaro's on the road then the factory produced. Strangely enough, those parts are now hard to come by. They did not have the aluminum history like the Super Duty cats, Z11 Chevies and the Hemi sedans did. They should have made sets for those cars instead, but I understand volume and popularity over history correctness.

Last edited:
Hi Lee ( fullmetaljacket ),
Nice to find you here!
I am still at the weight loss program!
My latest item was switching from a Melling oil pump shown in the first picture at 7lbs 8oz
to a Milodon pump and cover with Titanium hardware shown in the second picture at 4lbs 13.9oz.
I also swapped the union fitting 1.9oz for a plug at 1.3oz for a total loss of 2lbs 10.7oz.
In addition the Milodon pump takes less HP to turn and has better pressure!
We ran the pump last weekend at the INDY bracket race and made it to the 5th round!
MJ

JUNE 4729.JPG JUNE 4732.JPG JULY 4741.JPG JULY 4742.JPG

I can't remember who it was, but a famous drag racer cut all the bolts to the length they "needed" to be, and reduced nearly 30 lbs out of his car.

I can't remember who it was, but a famous drag racer cut all the bolts to the length they "needed" to be, and reduced nearly 30 lbs out of his car.
Tried to get a buddy of mine to do that to his race car but he was too dang lazy.....

Hi Lee ( fullmetaljacket ),
Nice to find you here!
I am still at the weight loss program!
My latest item was switching from a Melling oil pump shown in the first picture at 7lbs 8oz
to a Milodon pump and cover with Titanium hardware shown in the second picture at 4lbs 13.9oz.
I also swapped the union fitting 1.9oz for a plug at 1.3oz for a total loss of 2lbs 10.7oz.
In addition the Milodon pump takes less HP to turn and has better pressure!
We ran the pump last weekend at the INDY bracket race and made it to the 5th round!
MJ

View attachment 1270609 View attachment 1270618 View attachment 1270620 View attachment 1270621
Love it all the way Mopar John. I love that you micro document all of your changes. I was thinking way back about a Milodon as well, but since I have an internal pickup, (my stroke is modestly small) I figured why give away anymore hints and stayed stock. I did install the correct length titanium bolts to hold it all together. Glad your's worked out. My next engine overhaul will be having a Milodon for sure.

Tried to get a buddy of mine to do that to his race car but he was too dang lazy.....
Cranky, this whole lightweight madness is not for the weak at labor and research. Even an ounce less makes me feel good that the car is laboring less. Plus, that's what Hot Rodding is all about. Some of my friends are not as fiendish as I am and tend to be lazy as well.

Titanium only non-stressed locations? I'll have to let Sandy Rainey know about that.... Actually Sandy has passed away & it had nothing to do with hardware.. But he use to be a neighbor & he built & maintained F-1 motorcycles for his son Wayne Rainey & Kenny Roberts Jr... Amongst other places where I saw Titanium on the bikes was the bolts clamping the triple clamp, not only were they titanium they were gun drilled.... As was most of the hardware on the bikes.....

I took FMJ's light window mounting a step further. Its amazing what you can do with a Home Depot closet door roller. Yes the vent is also Lexan.
Doug
W30.jpg

W31.jpg

W33.jpg

I41.JPG

W37.jpg

Last edited:
Lee,
You know I bought the pump a while back.
I was worried about installing it!
The first problem I had was plugging the external line port and using a stock pickup!
Then there were 2 pages of instructions with may cautions about clearances and shafts.
I finally took the time during a pre season oil change to install it.
So there is the weight savings to start with.
I have noticed a 3 to 5 PSI increase in oil pressure when cold at idle.
I have also noticed the oil pressure doesn't fall off as much when HOT after a pass!
Then there is the fact that it uses less power to operate!
I wish I had installed it when I bought it!
MJ

Cranky, this whole lightweight madness is not for the weak at labor and research. Even an ounce less makes me feel good that the car is laboring less. Plus, that's what Hot Rodding is all about. Some of my friends are not as fiendish as I am and tend to be lazy as well.
When I bought my 2dr post 66 Belvedere it was 3370 and it wasn't too difficult to get it down to 2950 with the factory AC still intact and working. Kinda wish now that I had never blew the car apart for an engine transplant and rebuild.....

I took FMJ's light window mounting a step further. Its amazing what you can do with a Home Depot closet door roller. Yes the vent is also Lexan.
Doug
View attachment 1270745
View attachment 1270746
View attachment 1270747
View attachment 1270750
View attachment 1270748
Is the Lexan the same thickness as the original glass? Made a driver's door glass from 1/8" Lexan and used the original tracks/guides and well, it worked but not as smooth as the original glass did.

When I bought my 2dr post 66 Belvedere it was 3370 and it wasn't too difficult to get it down to 2950 with the factory AC still intact and working. Kinda wish not that I had never blew the car apart for an engine transplant and rebuild.....

Is the Lexan the same thickness as the original glass? Made a driver's door glass from 1/8" Lexan and used the original tracks/guides and well, it worked but not as smooth as the original glass did.
First off, regular tempered pane glass is much harder than Lexan so it will glide on any surface whereas Lexan though being more flexible and much lighter, tends to drag just a little bit but almost unnoticeable. The glass can be 1/8 thick and stock is 3/16 thick or so. A little soap bar rubbed on the tracks or the glass itself will help make it glide.
DVW is right. there is a treasure trove of inventive stuff at your local Home Depot/ Loews that can help built things for the car. One has to just investigate, study and build. Hot dodders at their best. On that same note, DVW's car may be art on the outside, but it is even more creative underneath and behind the scenes and factory panels. Work of art throughout.

It is 1/8". The window drops easily when unsnapped. When pulling it up you need to put your finger at the top rear corner. Easy enough. But not perfect. If I did it again, I'd use 3/16" for the door windows. The vent windows are original thickness.
Doug

I spent some effort to lighten my '65 Coronet in '75. I was amazed when I scraped off the undercoating and actually weighed the undercoating I took off. Over 30#. My approach to fasteners was to eliminate as many as I could. Filled a 3# coffee can over half way with the bolts I took out. I did use a few aluminum bolts. I also rifle drilled a few, don't recall which. I gutted the doors/windows, eliminated the vent windows. I used the stock 3/16" thickness Lexan to replace the side windows & vents. No roll up function. My Coronet was a bracket car, no rules and no concern about originality. The car remained all steel, but I took a lot of steel out, brackets and such. Got it down to 3350# with iron head BB & Dana. My roll bar was pretty heavy. 1 3/4 .130 wall. It was not mild steel, some really hard alloy. It killed a hacksaw blade with 1 cut. I didn't have the chop saw at the time. But still got the car to 10.50 in '84 with home ported 906 heads.

There is no undercoating on mine. Even the insides of the 1/4 panels have it removed all the way forward to the B pillar. Weight is under 3100 w/o driver. What's heavy? Mega block, Dana, fire system, heavy intake, old heavy wheels. All original steel floor pan, inner fenders, bumpers, and body panels (except hood). What's light? Magnesium seat framed seats (18lbs each including brackets) carbon fiber hood and bumper brackets. Chrome Moly tube steering column shaft, strut rods, hood latch support, and cage. Aluminum radiator, brake rotor hubs, driveshaft, fuel cell, motor plate, shocks. K frame is cut up, front doors gutted, No window regulators, heater, wipers, dash cluster casting, hood hinges. The trick is to make it look like it's as stock as possible.
Doug

Titanium only non-stressed locations? I'll have to let Sandy Rainey know about that.... Actually Sandy has passed away & it had nothing to do with hardware.. But he use to be a neighbor & he built & maintained F-1 motorcycles for his son Wayne Rainey & Kenny Roberts Jr... Amongst other places where I saw Titanium on the bikes was the bolts clamping the triple clamp, not only were they titanium they were gun drilled.... As was most of the hardware on the bikes.....

And there it is. Wanna find the real technology?... go to aircraft, F1, and road-racing bikes. They are put thru constant, varying, and repeated stress cycles. Moto-GP bikes are crazy weight to strength bits and pieces.

My friend's Yamaha R1 weighed a bit over 500lbs wet. With carbon wheels, some body parts, removing some useless crap, and putting lots of titanium bolts thru-out the bike....it's now at 414lbs wet. He hasn't even gotten to a TI exhaust or worked on things like the rear-sets and such. I'd say, he could knock another 20lbs out...pretty easily.

015.JPG

And there it is. Wanna find the real technology?... go to aircraft, F1, and road-racing bikes. They are put thru constant, varying, and repeated stress cycles. Moto-GP bikes are crazy weight to strength bits and pieces.

My friend's Yamaha R1 weighed a bit over 500lbs wet. With carbon wheels, some body parts, removing some useless crap, and putting lots of titanium bolts thru-out the bike....it's now at 414lbs wet. He hasn't even gotten to a TI exhaust or worked on things like the rear-sets and such. I'd say, he could knock another 20lbs out...pretty easily.

View attachment 1271476
Though this thread is on lightweight fasteners, here's a part that in someway, has to do with bolts and nuts. This trick saved about 2 Lbs total between both sides and now fastened by lightweight bolts and nuts. Painted black with the rest of the chassis and it isn't there.

DSC00371.JPG

That's very cool. I'd be using body-panel adhesive in places like that.

Auto Transport Service
Back