• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lock up torque converter?

daytona kid

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
What is the difference between a lock up converter and a non lock? And what are the pros and cons, for street/strip app? I was looking at a CME 522ci/550hp stroker that said "not recommended for a locking converter". Why? Sry for my ignorance, I always ran manual trans, need schooling on these autos. I have a stock trans that I'll be rebuilding for street/strip, and have a 4.56 rear gear, if that is relative.

The lockup converter has a clutch and piston internally that locks the moving parts of the converter together to eliminate slippage. This also requires a lockup style trans for operation. Due to the limitations of design and converter size it is almost impossible to get more than 2500 stall or so efficiently from this converter, plus the converter is not as strong as the non lockup.

Non-locking converters are available for locking type transmission's. Or just take your lockup converter and have it modified to your application.

So I don't want a locking converter if I'm drag racing no matter what the motor? And a stock trans is not a locking trans?

correct daytona,,i have a lock up but it is an A518 trans that has it,,I had a custom converter built, it is about 2500 with the old 383, it will be higher with the 512 because of way more torque,i will not use lock up under a heavy load it is just for cruising.

The 904, 727, and 518 were all offered from the factory in both lockup and non lockup versions. The lockup was not used before 1976, and not in every trans after. The lockup trans can be identified externally by the input shaft which has a smooth area free of splines for the first 3/4 of an inch or so and is rifle drilled down the center of the shaft for oil to pass through. Besides the components of the pump, input shaft and valve body, these transmissions share all other parts with the non lockup transmissions and can be built for as high a power level as the torque converter can stand, which I would peg at about 500 crank HP.

Auto Transport Service
Back