• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locked differential

subforry

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
I was replacing the left hand axle lug nut studs with right hand threads and needed to turn the axle. I put the car in neutral and to my surprise it didn't turn. I had to lift the right tire. So I guess the diff is locked. There seems to be no slop, mechanical noise, and I tried a pry bar to turn only one wheel - no go.

This explains why the car turns like crap. It's a '66 Charger with the stock rear end, 440, auto. Since I am going to spend more time turning rather than doing burnouts, seems like I need to fix this. I like the current gearing - I need to check what it is.

I think I would like to get a Sure-grip, any recommendations on brands or sources? Any warnings about doing the swap? Any suggestions on gear ratios? While I might be bolting on more power, it's just a street car and can't imagine it having over 500hp.

Thanks.

Why. Sounds perfectly normal to me. You are wasting time and money and the end result will be what you have now.

I'm assuming it is not turning like a normal functioning sure grip. I wonder if someone in the past pulled a road kill and welded up the spyder gears?

I'm assuming it is not turning like a normal functioning sure grip. I wonder if someone in the past pulled a road kill and welded up the spyder gears?

He had the opposite side tire on the ground, no way he's gonna turn it...

He had the opposite side tire on the ground, no way he's gonna turn it...
I was referring to his comment that the car does not go around turn well. All my cars have sure grip, they can make a turn no problem. I don’t think you understand what he’s referencing. He feels it is an open differential that is malfunctioning. Yes of course if it is indeed a sure grip and one wheel is on the ground the other won’t move.

I was wondering about the issue he has with turning as well. :popcorn2:

Or real wide tires and not enough figure 8's in a parking lot to free the old OE suregrip up. Pretty easy to determine if it's actually "spooled"..

So I did wonder if it is locked (spool or Lincoln or blocks) or something else. Limited slip diff I have worked with in the past allow one tire to be turned (although not easily) while the other is on the ground.

I used a 2 foot pry bar on the studs to try and rotate the drum while the other wheel was on the ground, nothing moved. Are sure-grip that tight. Do they lock up from lack of use/age?

I don't have any history or other info until I take it apart. My guess based on other work done on the car, it's been welded.

So I did wonder if it is locked (spool or Lincoln or blocks) or something else. Limited slip diff I have worked with in the past allow one tire to be turned (although not easily) while the other is on the ground.

I used a 2 foot pry bar on the studs to try and rotate the drum while the other wheel was on the ground, nothing moved. Are sure-grip that tight. Do they lock up from lack of use/age?

I don't have any history or other info until I take it apart. My guess based on other work done on the car, it's been welded.

Very hard to turn one wheel while the other is on the ground with a Sure Grip. Normally if you can the clutches are shot.

Have both wheels off the ground and turn one. Both will turn the same direction if its a Sure Grip. (Unless someone welded the spider gears or installed a spool.) See how much effort it takes and if you can feel any play.

Auto Transport Service
Back