• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return line question?

Myasylum

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
On my 72 Satellite, it seems I has a new fuel tank (not from me) but only has 1 line going to the carburetor. The rest of the lines appear just to be open, not connected to anything. I know when I turn off the car after 30 seconds or so, I hear this "clunk" like the gas tank could either there expanding, or sucking in. Not sure if that's related.

Any help as to where these lines should go? Is leaving them open bad?

Thanks!

The tank needs to be vented. Not sure how things were done on the 72's but the older ones were vented via the gas cap. Seems like somewhere around 72 there was a return line or vent from the fuel pump? Sorry, just don't know. How many 'other' outlets does the tank have?

Just found this picture. Looks like I may need this thingy?
Can I just leave the vents open, or loop them together? Does it all just return back to the tank anyway?
1713815387894.png

You need a FSM. And connect the Evaporative control system per mfr. Or, use a vented gas cap. I'd recommend connecting the system as designed.

What is the danger on leaving it all open? Just wondering.

I kind of like the fumes. I drive better.
:rofl: You must me a youngin lol My first wife liked gas fumes but didn't like going fast....all I had to do was act like I was going to race someone and she became unglued!

Myasylum,
I did my 1971 Runner this way.
1713891720279.png

The 1971 fuel evaporative system is different than the 1972 system - there is a big *** separator canister in the drivers rear wheel well - the 4 lines shown go into that cannister.
The 4 ports shown are on the drivers side of the gas tank, not the front like a 1972 tank has.

I don't like that setup that has the separator in the wheel well.

So, I looped the first two ports.
The other two - I ran separate lines up and into the frame. You want the fumes to be carried away from the car.
If that doesn't work, I do have the smaller 1972 separator like you have shown and will try to use it.

Auto Transport Service
Back