• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long cranking time to start

Nope. Nothing wrong. Don't matter if it's hot, warm, or cold out. I've been fixing these cars for 55 years. Todays fuels are not the same as they were when these cars were new. I hear the same story from many in my car community here. Cranking, cranking, cranking these cars to start when they've been sitting for a time.
Puppy pee gas.

Nope. Nothing wrong. Don't matter if it's hot, warm, or cold out. I've been fixing these cars for 55 years. Todays fuels are not the same as they were when these cars were new. I hear the same story from many in my car community here. Cranking, cranking, cranking these cars to start when they've been sitting for a time.
Well I guess you have about 5 years of wrenching on me.. but as noted ALL 6 of mine start just fine with ZERO priming, even after 4 months of storage! Even in the 70's they cranked for 10 seconds to start!

Well I guess you have about 5 years of wrenching on me.. but as noted ALL 6 of mine start just fine with ZERO priming, even after 4 months of storage! Even in the 70's they cranked for 10 seconds to start!
What gas do you run? 91?

The OP is used to his computer controlled vehicle starting like a Mercury Verado when he hits the key. There is NOTHING wrong with a 55 year old car needing a 10 second crank to start!

The OP is used to his computer controlled vehicle starting like a Mercury Verado when he hits the key. There is NOTHING wrong with a 55 year old car needing a 10 second crank to start!
Especially when you don't hit the accelerator to set the choke and give it a squirt of gas.

You got good gas in your area. But, still... 10 seconds to start is WAY too long. Here on this thread, I didn't read a further post by the OP that he says the bowls are full, so my point is moot.

Okay, I just looked at my own videos again. The 340 Swinger took a 4 second crank.. then a 2 at best to fire after 4 months storage. The old Dodge 440 took a 6, a 7 to fire and then 1 to start!

No, not a back up pump. One that is separate. His engine will then start instantly, & not be cranking, cranking for 20 seconds, which is bad for any engine....
Even with that it still usually takes a 10 second crank to start them when cold.
There's no way a car should need 20 seconds, nevermind 10 seconds to start. When I did tune-ups back in the garage way back, a customers car was expected to start within seconds. In the purpose of this thread, as an example, my 318 Doba will start immeidately. A week later.... crank till the cows come home.

And I've said it a dozen times here, there are other reasons for dry fuel lines...
beefuelpumpissue 057.JPG

Especially when you don't hit the accelerator to set the choke and give it a squirt of gas.
Some of us fair weather guys don't have a choke...
My 850 Demon does but the damned thing is so finicky, it either stays closed too long or won't close at all. I just disabled it and feather the throttle for a bit until it will idle.

What are you talking about? I'm comparing the 440 with the 318, bith same age.

And like I said the result seems to be better that way but pressing the pedal before any attempt will give me the same or worst result.

And like I said the result seems to be better that way but pressing the pedal before any attempt will give me the same or worst result.
Is the choke working correctly on that 6 pack?

The best thing for you to do is take the air cleaner off and open the throttle and watch for the accelerator pump squirt.Hold the choke open so you can see what's happening. Do it 2 or 3 times. If you don't have a steady squirt each time, fuel is evaporating from the carb and you're going to have to crank it 10-20 seconds to fill the carb bowls up. You need gas in the carb and a squirt or two to get the engine fired. This would also be a good time to watch the choke butterfly close and then open shortly after the engine fires. After that it should open slowly and you should be running on fast idle until you tap the throttle to kick it off.

Auto Transport Service
Back