• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a source for Unibody Front End Lifting Tool

BPBP440

Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
I want to purchase the Front End Lifting Tool from US Car Tool, but all out of stock from them directly. Anyone know where I might be able to locate one?

http://store.uscartool.com/uni-lift-unibody-front-end-lifting-tool.html

Any thoughts on achieving the same result in another manner (I don't have a vehicle lift)?

Uni Lift.JPG

Last edited:
I made one using 2x2 steel tubing that mounts to the bumper bracket mounting holes

Channel steel and an eye or something iike a u-bolt. Could be bolt together.

Install the bumper brackets and bolt a chain to each side? If the motor/trans are staying out with the k member that greatly reduces the weight they would bear.

Install the bumper brackets and bolt a chain to each side? If the motor/trans are staying out with the k member that greatly reduces the weight they would bear.
I was just having this discussion with a buddy. Only concern might be the force of pulling the two sides in towards each other without the k-frame tying the the two sides together. A spreader bar of the correct width could fix that. I also suppose the reason the US Car option has the long arms is to get the engine hoist legs out from under the car.

How make it with steel channel. Two pieces bolted to bumper mounting holes like US car tools. How far they come out 2'. Then bolt channel on the bottom of the 2 channels mounted to bumper holes. I'd use 2 grade 8 bolts per side. Then all you need is what for a hook in the center. Wouldn't lift it with an engine in there but for installing an engine from the bottom, ok.

How make it with steel channel. Two pieces bolted to bumper mounting holes like US car tools. How far they come out 2'. Then bolt channel on the bottom of the 2 channels mounted to bumper holes. I'd use 2 grade 8 bolts per side. Then all you need is what for a hook in the center. Wouldn't lift it with an engine in there but for installing an engine from the bottom, ok.
Thanks for thinking about this Fran. I like it. That could indeed do the trick.

Easy to build use 2x3 stock for added strength. Build yourself you can do it! Bolt to the inner fame rail where bumper brackets bolt to body not to the bumper brackets

Easy to build use 2x3 stock for added strength. Build yourself you can do it! Bolt to the inner fame rail where bumper brackets bolt to body not to the bumper brackets
Thanks for the encouragement. Bumper and brackets are off, so definitely would bolt to frame rail.

These cars are not very heavy with no engine/suspension. I picked my wagon off jack stands back in 81 just to see if I could. (see below)
Mike

I have a Gray brand air/hydraulic bumper lift and lift the car with engine "all the time".

Bumper brackets and bolts are plenty strong.

Some C channel and 2x2 box tubing bolted to the front bumper bracket bolt holes. I cut a thru hole in the C channel and laced the square tubing, fillet weld and your all good. Take a swing by any local metal salvage yard, costs pennies on the dollar brother.

1.jpg 2.jpg

These cars are not very heavy with no engine/suspension. I picked my wagon off jack stands back in 81 just to see if I could. (see below)
Mike
Haha. Looks like you did some rough things to your body along the way:

2 rotator cuff repairs, both upper biceps detached, 2 cervical fusions, replaced left knee joint, carpal tunnel repair, heart ablation, and a bad lower back. I ant't done yet!

Some C channel and 2x2 box tubing bolted to the front bumper bracket bolt holes. I cut a thru hole in the C channel and laced the square tubing, fillet weld and your all good. Take a swing by any local metal salvage yard, costs pennies on the dollar brother.

View attachment 964285 View attachment 964286
Good stuff. Do you know about what height you had the k-frame attachment points off the ground? I had originally been thinking as low as possible, but it just occurred to me that I wont have any upward adjustment on the dolly so the k-frame needs to off the ground a fair bit to meet the car.

If you are up for a drive I have the whole set up for sale cheap. I do not want to ship it. uni-lift, k frame stand, front and rear body wheels. I am in zip code 14040. PM me if interested,

Good stuff. Do you know about what height you had the k-frame attachment points off the ground? I had originally been thinking as low as possible, but it just occurred to me that I wont have any upward adjustment on the dolly so the k-frame needs to off the ground a fair bit to meet the car.
I can get you some measurements after work... So you want the numbers from ground to top of K frame mounting points?

Auto Transport Service
Back