• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for header suggestions

I'm going to recommend Jegs brand ceramic coated long tube headers. 1 7/8" primaries, 3" collector. I've had them on my car since mid 2017 and they are still holding up. I did have to clearance a tube on the pass side to clear the torsion bar. They fit stock / Stealth with straight plugs. Plugs are easily accessed. Starter is easy to get to. I'm happy with them.
Screenshot_20230604-201549_Adblock Browser.jpg
20170426_165236.jpg

I'm going to recommend Jegs brand ceramic coated long tube headers. 1 7/8" primaries, 3" collector. I've had them on my car since mid 2017 and they are still holding up. I did have to clearance a tube on the pass side to clear the torsion bar. They fit stock / Stealth with straight plugs. Plugs are easily accessed. Starter is easy to get to. I'm happy with them.
View attachment 1474690View attachment 1474694
I was wondering about the jegs. You said clearance issues on passenger side, I’m wondering if that will interfere with my sniper o2 sensor. Well actually it has to be about a foot after the collector and angled at 10 o’clock so maybe it won’t.

I was wondering about the jegs. You said clearance issues on passenger side, I’m wondering if that will interfere with my sniper o2 sensor. Well actually it has to be about a foot after the collector and angled at 10 o’clock so maybe it won’t.

No interference at all. I have my Sniper o2 bung welded in the pass side collector. Angled up and toward the transmission.

had a set of hooker headers on firing stand on my 440 six pack burnt many wires way to close to header tubes hate to see motor installed in cavity and keep wires from burning went back to hp 440 exhaust
my 2 cents

unless you race this car--seriously race it--headers are a poor choise for a street car--get a set of late 60s performance manifolds and put a 2-1/2 inch exhaust system on and it will serve you very well for many years--maintenance is easier and youve put your money into manifolds that will last a lifetime--Dyno tests show very little improvement by installing headers on your application. I just viewed a 426 hemi and a 426 max wedge dyno'd first with headers and then with factory manifolds and was shocked to see only a few less HP readings and torque reading were even less of a drop. The Max wedge put out 546 hp @5400 rpm- and 560 torque @4800 rpm with headers and 523 hp @5700 rpm and 526 torque @4900 rpm with factory manifolds-- The Hemi had almost identical results when factory manifolds were tried --- Find some dyno tests and see--you will be surprised at how little headers help --for all out race cars--headers are the way to go--I know this will wrinkle alot of feathers here but truth is in the dyno results--your 383 will LOVE the hi performance manifolds alot more than headers.I cant wait to hear the flurry of crap over these statements.
You can’t compare Max Wedge manifolds to late 60s 383/440 manifolds and even the far superior max wedge manifolds lost 23 HP to a header. The Max Wedge manifolds were the best big block exhaust manifolds by a huge margin.

There's approximately 150 differences between a 66 and 67 charger..
But header fitment isn't one of them.
I have a 66 and 67 in my garage, 383s ,same hooker header. Just saying.
Hooker Headers on mine too. 1967 383 HP straight pipes.

Last edited:
Never had good luck with hooker always had to ding them
Yes. Also, the collectors aim straight back, requiring 2 pends in each pipe to fit under the humps in the trans crossmember.

Slight S bend in the drivers side
383 sits lower and tighter.
I modified the cross member for clearance. Wasn't all that hard either way.

View attachment 1474690View attachment 1474694
I was wondering about the jegs, I might just bite the bullet on some Doug’s ceramic.

I was wondering about the jegs, I might just bite the bullet on some Doug’s ceramic.
You will like the Doug's Headers
Today's quality headers are far superior to what was offered even a decade ago
The flanges are much thicker and seal better
The coatings are superior and still look great after being on the car for a while
You can't go wrong with the Doug's

One thing cut your own spark plug wires, route them carefully, and use boot sleeves
you will never burn a wire that way

One thing cut your own spark plug wires, route them carefully, and use boot sleeves
Very good advice! I have been cutting mine to length for a long time and never do I have burnt plug wire issues. I use the plug boot socks as well.

You will like the Doug's Headers
Today's quality headers are far superior to what was offered even a decade ago
The flanges are much thicker and seal better
The coatings are superior and still look great after being on the car for a while
You can't go wrong with the Doug's

Any suggestions on brand? And size?

Any suggestions on brand? And size?
I like Taylor Flame Thrower Wires
I buy the universal set and a set of boots
That way I can decide if I need straight or 90 degree boots on an individual basis

I like Taylor Flame Thrower Wires
I buy the universal set and a set of boots
That way I can decide if I need straight or 90 degree boots on an individual basis
We’re did ya find yours?

Auto Transport Service
Back