• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for headers, with ease of installation

When I installed headers about 15+ years on my 440 b-body, I went ahead & installed a "mini-starter". Turns out "mini-starters" in the 90's are from Dodge Dakotas. Definitely smaller & lighter then OEM unit. Dakota starter bolted-up, is still there, not captured by the headers.

forgot to update this. I swapped out my old headers with my Flo Techs. Blocked up the front of the car. Pulled the passenger side off, piece of cake to get the old out and the new in. Had to unbolt the motor mount bolt and jack the passenger side of the engine up a bit.
I should have stopped for the day, but it went so easy I figured I'd like to get the other side done.
Pulled the drivers header off, unbolted the starter and got it out. The header would have came out almost as easy as the passenger side, but I needed a bit more ground clearance. I didn't fell like getting off the ground again, and since I have a brick floor....I just pulled some bricks up, and the header came out. Got the new header slid into place. I run an original gear reduction starter. I should have quit for the night since I was getting tired. The only bad part was getting the heavy starter in place and bolted. Then the header was a breeze...I didn't have to unhook the clutch linkage either.Plenty of clearance for the drivers side. The only issue of clearance is one of the passenger tubes is close to the inner fender. All in all a lot easier than I expected. I think if I had a 440 instead of a 383 it would have been tougher.
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg

forgot to update this. I swapped out my old headers with my Flo Techs. Blocked up the front of the car. Pulled the passenger side off, piece of cake to get the old out and the new in. Had to unbolt the motor mount bolt and jack the passenger side of the engine up a bit.
I should have stopped for the day, but it went so easy I figured I'd like to get the other side done.
Pulled the drivers header off, unbolted the starter and got it out. The header would have came out almost as easy as the passenger side, but I needed a bit more ground clearance. I didn't fell like getting off the ground again, and since I have a brick floor....I just pulled some bricks up, and the header came out. Got the new header slid into place. I run an original gear reduction starter. I should have quit for the night since I was getting tired. The only bad part was getting the heavy starter in place and bolted. Then the header was a breeze...I didn't have to unhook the clutch linkage either.Plenty of clearance for the drivers side. The only issue of clearance is one of the passenger tubes is close to the inner fender. All in all a lot easier than I expected. I think if I had a 440 instead of a 383 it would have been tougher.
View attachment 669475 View attachment 669476
How high off the ground did you have to get the front end?

probably two feet. I forgot to mention...I did have to "adjust" the last tube on the driver's side to clear the z bar...but nothing drastic.

Nice looking header for the price and will probably be going this route myself. I've heard that they make Summit's headers, they also have pretty good reviews. I think they are right around $330 for ceramic coated.... that's a bargain!

Mine were $368.99. There was a warranty card with them from Hooker. I looked at the Summit headers, but went with the Flo Techs.

probably two feet. I forgot to mention...I did have to "adjust" the last tube on the driver's side to clear the z bar...but nothing drastic.
Do you think set of car ramps would do the trick?

I heard Flowtech, Hookers and bunch others were all under the Holley name!:realcrazy:

Auto Transport Service
Back