• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for suggestions on what equipment to use to move some classic vehicles.

Dakotaacres

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
I might have a chance, if the price is right, to pickup some classic mopars that have been sitting awhile. I'm looking for suggestions on what is the best way to move them with the least amount of damage. Some are vans and some pickups. What type of fork equipment and trailer etc. should I consider? If it goes through I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.
Thank you

Diesel pickup, with a portable compressor in the bed for the tires, a flatbed car trailer, with a big *** winch.

Come-a-long, 50' of fairly heavy chain, correct size bolts to shorten or double the chain, several lengths of 4x4 stock, low profile shop jack and heavy plywood to use it on dirt, scissors jack to use where the floor jack won't go, several medium to heavy ratchet straps, breaker bar, and assortment of sockets for stubborn lug nuts as well as a heavy hammer and punch to break them if necessary, pre-inflated and mounted spare tires in case you just can't salvage any currently installed. Good quality penetrating oil. As long as you;re bringing a gas air compressor, might as well bring an impact gun.

If they are down in the dirt.
You will need a shovel .
Couple floor Jack's and 2x6s scraps.
Couple good chains , roll back car hauler with damn good winch and block.
Or if you can swing it a payloader with forks and a few old un mounted tires.

Propane torch to help stuck bolts and lugs.

You can move just about anything with a torquey 4x4 truck, and a flatbed trailer with a winch. I recommend a solid-deck trailer (not open-center), since the cars may or may not stay in line as you load them...just sayin'.

If you have access, bring a Jeep along too - small, short wheelbase, torquey 4x4 is great for maneuvering something in or out of a tight space, to get it TO the large diesel pickup and trailer.

And bring a friend. Even if they only sit there, dial "9-1" on the phone...and wait for all hell to break loose ;)

These are all great suggestions especially bringing extra tires on rims. Many of these old tires are so rotten they wont pump up. You can also take a large baking sheet, set it under the flat tire and it will slide across the ground. This works well if you have a stuck wheel too.

Last parts car I bought had a seized front hub. No getting the drum off.

I used a harbor freight small appliance dolly under the flat tire on that wheel on the pavement, and for getting it on and off my car dolly, I just sprayed the hell out of the ramp with WD-40 after removing the HF dolly.

Man, these are all good ideas, most I would have never thought of. I am making a list.
I am going over there today to see what I got myself into.
Thank you all.

This is what I used to use. I don't have it anymore though, you can break lots of stuff with it. If you have a pickup truck, rent a flatbed and use a hand winch at a minimum.

limey home 2.JPG

seans 01 001.JPG

I was in a pinch and towed a non running 67 Coronet 4dr 400 miles with my old nissan 4x4 hardbody 4 banger, a tow dolly, come along, and some good tires for the rear of the coronet. Wouldn't recommend doing it that way even though it got the job done. Hauled through the middle of the night so i wouldn't have to be in stop and go traffic and have plenty of space in front of me. Another negative for the tow dolly is having to disconnect/remove the driveshaft on autos.

I was in a pinch and towed a non running 67 Coronet 4dr 400 miles with my old nissan 4x4 hardbody 4 banger, a tow dolly, come along, and some good tires for the rear of the coronet. Wouldn't recommend doing it that way even though it got the job done. Hauled through the middle of the night so i wouldn't have to be in stop and go traffic and have plenty of space in front of me. Another negative for the tow dolly is having to disconnect/remove the driveshaft on autos.
That would be a nerve-wracking experience for me, even at 2 a.m.
I do the same thing. When I travel between my Arizona place and California, I time my trip to avoid the most traffic possible.

For the past almost 2 years I’ve been doing exactly what you plan to do. Just me, my old truck, a hand winch, floor Jack, blocks for cribbing, and my 2 metal sliding “bulldozer” ramps. I jack the front of the cars up as high as I can, back my car hauler under it as far as I can, then use the bulldozer ramps and slide it under the car as far as possible. Lower the car down so the front wheels are on the sliding ramps and start winching. The metal to metal of the 2 ramps sliding makes winching the car in pretty easy. I’ve done about 10 cars like this, with all manner of different obstacles along the way. To me, it’s a challenge, you need a few different lengths of chain, you just never know where you’re gonna have to hook something. I also highly advocate putting a piece of steel under each car ramp and backing the trailer up to push the ramps under the front wheels of the car

8EDDD648-8458-478A-89E5-7E268C067093.jpeg

754897D2-CEA0-453C-9A15-7DDC824D362D.jpeg

43CB7559-39F6-4E2F-B0F8-E32F29BDB5BB.jpeg

3CA11AB9-5976-4FD7-BB58-5D7D5B0C5F54.jpeg

CBB4C7BC-9E53-4A41-A4CA-31C5BB736D2D.jpeg

7BB1EF44-35E6-418F-8269-04F2895B4F7F.jpeg

7BDBB33C-72C0-4092-A0AC-CFC250F581C9.jpeg

EC48F74E-364F-4003-9215-EFEB0D082D3E.jpeg

12F3F4EE-724E-43F1-867F-ACF78019A2B5.jpeg

A winch on a pick up may help, with some floor, roller jacks, and some Good, wide boards to get under the tires, and out of the ruts. Good luck, looks like a Nice Find !

I agree, once you can get a ramp under it, back the trailer in as far as you can. The less labour the better. You can take aired up tires if you want, depending on the situation though, sometimes Caveman is good enough on these deals. Sliding a flat tire, seized drum or a rotor on a piece of 2X10 can be pretty fast and effective sometimes.
Also, if you have a trailer but no winch, you could take a friend with a separate vehicle and a cable/chain and pull them on with that. Recovering one vehicle is no big deal but if you're doing several then hand winching will get old pretty fast and take too much time.

I agree, once you can get a ramp under it, back the trailer in as far as you can. The less labour the better. You can take aired up tires if you want, depending on the situation though, sometimes Caveman is good enough on these deals. Sliding a flat tire, seized drum or a rotor on a piece of 2X10 can be pretty fast and effective sometimes.
Also, if you have a trailer but no winch, you could take a friend with a separate vehicle and a cable/chain and pull them on with that. Recovering one vehicle is no big deal but if you're doing several then hand winching will get old pretty fast and take too much time.
Up until last year, a hand winch is all I’ve ever had. I did get a power winch in a deal so I do use that now, but the hand winch still goes with me. I have about 20 cars and trucks left to do, and I know I’ll get them all out and on the trailer, I’m very motivated and don’t take no for an answer.

I have loaded many cars with both the least expensive harbor freight "regular" winch and the least expensive "marine" winch.

IIRC both are "only" rated for 2500-3500 pounds but that is a lifting rating and not a pulling or dragging rating.

The marine winch operates slower, giving more control.

The biggest problems with either are the control systems.

Assume you will need to eventually rebuild or replace a wired unit and replace a wireless unit in relatively short order, or convert it to a heavy wired system.

Thank you. Just looked at them today, lots of snow to deal with. Right now I made a deal on 11 of them, maybe more.

Auto Transport Service
Back