• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud Pipes!! How to lower the sound?

I added Thrush glasspacks as resonators. Just section out the length you need on either side of the gas tank before the tips (Hemi style).
I believe it cost me $100.
I looked them up, seems interesting. Is this not like adding 2 mufflers?

adding bullet mufflers like these (or other types) behind the axle will mellow the sound. I'd consider it a first try.

A muffler is to quiet all noise, a resonator is intended to eliminate a certain frequency/drone. So, if you want it quieter, another muffler will be more effective than a resonator.

Not the glasspacks. They're essentially baffled straight pipes...or resonators.
Go to to your local parts jobber and check them out.
Also, if you decide to go this route, I suggest spraying them with some aluminum paint. If only to simply dial back the look a bit. I'm happy I did.

Not the glasspacks. They're essentially baffled straight pipes...or resonators.
Go to to your local parts jobber and check them out.
Also, if you decide to go this route, I suggest spraying them with some aluminum paint. If only to simply dial back the look a bit. I'm happy I did.
How is the sound of your Charger now compared before you added this? Will this or a resonator kill off more of the drone?

Teslas are quiet. (Crickets, crickets)

(looks around, room goes silent... slowly slinks away...)

How is the sound of your Charger now compared before you added this? Will this or a resonator kill off more of the drone?
The Super Bee sounds absolutely perfect now, IMHO. There is no drone. Zero. Prior to installing the glasspacks you couldn't possibly have a conversation in the car at highway speeds.
I am absolutely confident this will solve your drone issue.

The Super Bee sounds absolutely perfect now, IMHO. There is no drone. Zero. Prior to installing the glasspacks you couldn't possibly have a conversation in the car at highway speeds.
I am absolutely confident this will solve your drone issue.
That's awesome, I appreciate the advise.

Teslas are quiet. (Crickets, crickets)

(looks around, room goes silent... slowly slinks away...)

Nor for much longer....at least here. Too many people being hit by cars they did not hear (especially deaf folk)......so shortly they will, by law, have to give off a noise. Most manufacturers are going for the sci-fi type whine.....like Formula E cars....quite cool. But the potential is for anyone good with car ECUs is to add any sound they want. Listen out for a flat 12 Ferrari or open header 605 HEMI sounding Tesla in your street soon!

The easiest way to get rid of drone is to make the car even louder, Im switching from purple hornies to Blackwidow neighborhater's 6" as soon as the arrive:thumbsup:

I'm looking into resonators for my car, out of curiosity I looked up the construction, they're just another muffler. Only difference that I saw was the tube is straight through with zero obstructions and minimal packing.

I'm looking into resonators for my car, out of curiosity I looked up the construction, they're just another muffler. Only difference that I saw was the tube is straight through with zero obstructions and minimal packing.
Google Helmholtz resonators. A simple added j-pipe with a cap. Some math required.

Give that system to kids to play with, get headers, 2 1/4 inch factory exhaust system with turboh or street hemi or hush thrush factory replacement mufflers. You don't have to spend a million bucks, it will sound sweet and you won't go deaf. That ain't a Chubby your workin on

Auto Transport Service
Back