• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

low power brake pedal 64 Belvedere

retractable

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
I just added original power brakes to my 64 belvedere. Booster was rebuilt by Booster Dewey.
All the brakes were rebuilt last winter and all worked correctly, same master with plunger for power brakes installed now.The pedal is very low but I have very good brakes---no air in system. The rod is set correctly. Are all power brake pedals like this in 1964? See picture. If not what is not correct? I might make a change to the brake pedal arm to change it. Any help will be appreciated .

20161129_150645_resized brake shaft.jpg

Don't remember on power brakes...could be correct.
Drums on all four...have you adjusted the brake shoes? Usually adjust each one until it locks that wheel, then back off the adjuster a same number of turns on each.

Yes 4 drum system all adjusted up correctly. If this is correct I will change the pedal arm to make the pedal sit higher. Thanks Miller for your comments .

I may be wrong but I believe that in a power brake application a small spacer or "puck" is installed at the master where the push rod from the booster meet. ??

I am not aware of any Puck to install. Might learn that there is one. picture of brake pedal shows top hole for manual brakes and lower hole with push rod in power brake location.

20161128_154455_resized brake 2.jpg

I took off the brake pedal , cut it most of the way ,then spread it about 1/8 in and welded it back together
20161130_144436_resized welded pedal.jpg
to gain an inch higher pedal. This works much better.

Good deal!
Just a thought...want to make sure pedal also 'releases' okay. You can tell at the push rod, by hole line up before you bolt it up. Pedal up, the push rod bolt hole should not bind fit with the pedal hole. Other words, a little free play, to be sure the MC has full movement.

The pedal pivot bolt and the bolt for the brake push rod all fit perfectly. No binding at all. a little free play also. The brake light switch does not change at all when I cut and welded the arm below the switch location. Thanks for all the help

Auto Transport Service
Back