• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower rad hose spring needed?

pjm8047

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Looking to replace my aluminum rad in my 71 rr with a factory looking aluminum rad with both inlet and outlet on the drivers side like the oem radiator was and a factory shroud can be used on it. My question is im looking for rad hoses for it don’t want to spend $70 for a hose with mopar part numbers on it. Im looking at this lower hose has no spring but lots of good reviews. Is a spring needed? Continental Belts and Hoses 60659 Continental Molded Radiator Hoses | Summit Racing

The spring is a good idea to prevent collapsing. If your old hose doesn't have one I use one from an automatic sprinkler head although they are a bit more robust than the originals.

I read this article and he says not necessary. Can’t find anyone locally whos sells just the spring alone.

Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price
I found this article too.
But it's from a book written 50 years ago.
20220718_145231.jpg

I made mine out of a coat hanger.The coated kind to prevent rust.
Coiled it around a piece of exhaust tubing I had. Works for me.

Ordered the gto spring $7 . Ive read people saying newer hoses don’t need them anymore because better designed hoses then 50 years ago. Do newer vehicle have them?

I bought my lower hose from Eberg. It did not come with a spring and I installed without spring. 68 Charger with 511

Ordered the gto spring $7 . Ive read people saying newer hoses don’t need them anymore because better designed hoses then 50 years ago. Do newer vehicle have them
Is it stainless steel as the link above for the Mustang? My original hose had the metal spring that rusted out. I replaced it with that stainless steel one for the Mustang and it’s still going strong.

If you use rust inhibitor [ why wouldn't you? ] the coat hanger will not rust.

The spring is used for the outside of hydraulic hoses and it is made from stainless. I bought a foot of it and cut it to fit.

New oem style radiator is in with bottom hose spring installed. Thanks for the advice!

D6F59088-DF3C-4376-A9E2-0840172EC0F6.jpeg

I'm on the "use a spring" bandwagon as well.
Got there some years ago when I witnessed Fred's lower hose (a new brand name one)
actually collapsing every time I gave the engine a good hard rev when working underhood.

As shown by another already, the factory service manual calls for one and for the price,
they're cheap insurance - so why the heck would you not use one?

Auto Transport Service
Back