• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lunati vs Compcams

texas69bee

Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
Between these 2 cams, which one will be

1) Stronger(faster motor)
2) Yield more vacuum
3) Have a quieter valve train

Remember Comp has the Chevy grind and Lunatis Voodoo cam uses the mopar grind

Lunati
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 220/226
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .475/.494
•LSA/ICL: 112/108
•RPM Range: 1400-5800
Part Number: 10230702

CompCams
268/280
224/230
.477/.480
110/106
1600-5800
XE268H

383 +.030
440Source heads cc'd to 75 with a 5 angle valve job, stock HP exhaust, Intake and Carter AVS carb
When you answer, could you specify specifically in this format and then give an overall reason why you like one over the other. This just makes it easier to compare everyone's opinions.

Example
1) Lunati
2) Comp
3) Lunati
Your pick and reason

I am ignorant of all these numbers and did not know that the CompCams were Chevy grinds. The Comp in my 440 has the sweetest sound on planet Earth at idle. Great low end stump pulling and rolling waves when entering car shows uncapped.

Thats the same cam in my 6 pack motor (voodoo ), I can tell you with a comp valve job, speed pro teflon coated 6 pack pistons, hd crank and rods, gasket matched 906 heads, and MSD ignition, (plus 6 pack of course, with ci manifold also matched) the motor made almost 500hp 500ft lbs, 10.5 to one... only cam that we tsted that was as impressive was a comp 285hl, but we changed rockers and used a bg 975cfm with matching intake , that made 530 and tq was like 550 but we only had 6" of vac...
go with the voodoo...

Has anyone else had experience or have an opinion with these cams?

I can tell you I wont use comp ever again after 4 sets of comp lifters failed on me, so now I run lunati cam and lifters

I have been running lunati hyd roller and there lifters for 2,400k miles with out issues.

Those two cams are so close it's a hard call but I would think the Lunati tops out in vacuum. There's something going on over at the Comp Cam's camp and I think it's quality control. Except for their top line, expensive cams, I am constantly reading posts on many forums about failure and breakdown of their products. Once regarded as top quality product I believe they have become a household name that is manufactured off shore but marketed as though their "Made in U.S.A." It occurs to me most people are sorta stuck in the past when "just gotta have a Comp" was the way to go but today even small shops doing custom grinds seem to surpass Comp's quality. Just search: problems with Comp cams in Google. Time for a change.

I have that linati cam in my 318 right now. I just broke cam in like a week ago. Sounds pretty good i checked vacuum at 850 rpm idle it was 10-12 inches. But im gonna check again sense gauge i had was dropped and always sits at -5 hg.

Auto Transport Service
Back