• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made a crate for my 70 Roadrunner bench seat...

I'm surprised! I really don't know because I always pay more attention to 70s with bucket seats. (and I LOVE the factory console! but I may have to get one made. Getting a custom one made would let me keep my shifter rod probably? )
Buckets and floor shift were standard to 500s & R/Ts. Bees and 440s were lower trim levels and bench seats were an option.

Not sure about Plymouth, but I was a bit surprised to see your V-code was a bench seat 4 speed. That's kind of a sought after option by some folks.

Just my opinion, but I think would have held on to the original seat even if it wasn't being used.

Buckets and floor shift were standard to 500s & R/Ts. Bees and 440s were lower trim levels and bench seats were an option.
So you could have a bench seat, but it would be a "downgrade" as far as trim/package level goes? How does that matter if it's what you want?
Not sure about Plymouth, but I was a bit surprised to see your V-code was a bench seat 4 speed. That's kind of a sought after option by some folks.
Correct as is so much of what my car is, according to the fender tag. The body stampings all match and the fender tag and VIN all match one to the other, with that wonderful "V" in the appropriate places.
BUT the engine is a 71, the 18 spline transmission I am 99% certain is not the original 18 spline, and I have already laid out my Boulevard Bruiser/street and strip goals for what "niche" it takes. My 2 friends, who are brothers, have secured the "day one" factory look down pat, and knowing what I have, what they have done and do for that factory correct look, my resources are better spent transforming my car to what I want.
I say that with the greatest appreciation and a sense of friendship with you BeeKool. When I research a lead or 2 I got on a wheel manufacturer/shop widening my 9" aluminum Rallye wheels, I'll get an extra pair and have them widen them, and then tubbing or mini-tubbing will happen too, or whenever I get my trunk pan cleaned up and repainted or replaced .

I'm pretty sure she's been a track car or spent a good bit of time there. I believe I see evidence of a trunk mounted battery box at one time, and the manual transmission tunnel has a cut near where the shifter hole would be for an automatic transmission, so I think I know what happened to the original 6bbl engine, and all I can say is I hope it won a LOT of races and when it came apart it was spectacular.

Good idea, but I think I would of mounted the hinges on the inside.

Good idea, but I think I would of mounted the hinges on the inside.
I didn't want them to rub on the seat under any circumstances. The crate is tight against the seat all across the front, with room for only 2 sheets of bubble wrap.

So you could have a bench seat, but it would be a "downgrade" as far as trim/package level goes? How does that matter if it's what you want?
My thoughts exactly. If I could have a car just like I wanted. It would be a 69 R/T vert with a 4 speed and bench seat.
I dont think that car ever existed though. Not in fancy GTX or R/T.

No mean to jump your thread, there are a few others on the subject.

Got a quote from FedEx.
$312 from South Louisiana to Washington state. 4 day transit, picked up at my house. I'm guessing it weighs 110#
It will cost less once I give FedEx an account number, and I'll post final shipping cost here.
The buyer of the seat has a FedEx account, so that was the preferred option for shipping.

Not in fancy GTX or R/T.

Hey hey now. Watch it Buster! lol

Got a quote from FedEx.
$312 from South Louisiana to Washington state. 4 day transit, picked up at my house. I'm guessing it weighs 110#
It will cost less once I give FedEx an account number, and I'll post final shipping cost here.
The buyer of the seat has a FedEx account, so that was the preferred option for shipping.

Fastenal will probably half that

Fastenal will probably half that
Well the buyer had problems online trying to set up shipping through FedEx, so I'll call Fastenal in the morning.
Thanks. It will be up to the buyer. I didn't have any problems once I got past the automated system and spoke with a human, but I didn't have their account number for FedEx, so.....

After trying a freight company I used over 5 years ago that was cheap, they came in at $700.
In 3 calls to FedEx speaking to 5 people, I got "initial quotes" as low as $160, and quotes as high as $1,200
Unfortunately the $312 quote I got Monday couldn't be "locked in" or at least I failed to, and with all of the different quotes I got I don't want to deal with FedEx now.
Fastenal requires a 1 hour trip to the closest shipping store location, and the recipient will have to pick it up at a Fastenal about 21 miles from where they were going to receive the seat, BUT right now, Fastenal is the best bet at $414
I'm going to check with Estes Truck Lines and UPS, and then pick one.
I'll follow up with the final result.

After trying a freight company I used over 5 years ago that was cheap, they came in at $700.
In 3 calls to FedEx speaking to 5 people, I got "initial quotes" as low as $160, and quotes as high as $1,200
Unfortunately the $312 quote I got Monday couldn't be "locked in" or at least I failed to, and with all of the different quotes I got I don't want to deal with FedEx now.
Fastenal requires a 1 hour trip to the closest shipping store location, and the recipient will have to pick it up at a Fastenal about 21 miles from where they were going to receive the seat, BUT right now, Fastenal is the best bet at $414
I'm going to check with Estes Truck Lines and UPS, and then pick one.
I'll follow up with the final result.

Ship it to my house in Michigan. that might be cheaper??? LOL.
I need a front bench for my 70 Road Runner also, unless I decide to go with buckets later on.

unless I decide to go with buckets
I did, and I'm never going back!
output.jpg
20181002_115304.jpg
20181002_115630.jpg

Ok. Bench seat, fully assembled in my home built "custom" crate is being shipped via YRC Freight. They are picking it up with a lift gate truck, so I don't have to drive an hour one way, borrow a truck, etc. They are in the $450 range, and that is using an established YRC account.
YRC was very reasonable about 6 years ago when I used them to ship medical equipment.
Anyway Friday is pickup day, the buyer paid all freight, and I can get the crate and seat on their way to Washington state for my Canadian buyer.
Adios bench seat!
Ultimately, YRC FREIGHT was the best deal, with a YRC account.

After pushing back my pickup date from the 21st to the 25th, and not letting me know about the rescheduling until I called at 4:45pm on the 21st, YRC finally came to pick up the crate with the seat in it today. I had to roll the crate 350 feet through my rock driveway to the street! Lift gate, residential pickup, but.....WTF?!
Instead of "calling the number" the driver wanted to give me regarding the street pickup only policy, I got it to the street, loaded it up on the YRC truck and happily waved goodbye.
The whole experience of pricing and arranging shipping of this seat/crate was a nightmare.
$450 odd dollars shipping (paid by buyer) and it's gone to a good home!
20181226_165230.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back