• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made a stupid mistake

adk-roadrunner

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Well like the title says I made a stupid mistake. I was de-greasing my K member and front suspension in the driveway with a pressure washer. I'm getting ready to sandblast and paint it all before I put my new engine and trans in the car. Well I noticed I got a little splash back on my car and said oh crap let me just rinse that off. Just a quick spray I mean its just a crappy little weak pressure washer. Well now I'm missing part of my hood bulge decal. I plan on painting the car eventually but not for a couple years. Do I leave it or buy hood decals? Then do I just lay the new ones over the old or try and remove the old and replace? I'm not even sure if they'll match the rest of the car if I do. I had to put away the pressure washer and do something else after lol was too irritated to look at it.

20210802_183813.jpg

If you don't take it to shows and your planning on repainting it anyways.. screw it, drive it and enjoy. Only you can make the call.

That sucks, I do **** like that all the time. I would see if a heat gun would loosen the stripe and see if I could get a corner up. If it peels back clean I would replace just that stripe. If it doesn't release, then I don't know..

Kinda looks like a picture of a pretty girl, with a snot hanging from her nose. Your eye immediately goes to it. Car looks good. I'd replace the decal, it's an easy job.

I really hate to use this expression, **** happens. Maybe if you can find the other piece a body shop might be able to fix it?

Testers model paint...mix flat with gloss till you get it the way it needs to be its temporary....maybe...or sharpie

Some careful masking and some Rustolem satin black paint would make it look passable until the repaint.

Well like the title says I made a stupid mistake. I was de-greasing my K member and front suspension in the driveway with a pressure washer. I'm getting ready to sandblast and paint it all before I put my new engine and trans in the car. Well I noticed I got a little splash back on my car and said oh crap let me just rinse that off. Just a quick spray I mean its just a crappy little weak pressure washer. Well now I'm missing part of my hood bulge decal. I plan on painting the car eventually but not for a couple years. Do I leave it or buy hood decals? Then do I just lay the new ones over the old or try and remove the old and replace? I'm not even sure if they'll match the rest of the car if I do. I had to put away the pressure washer and do something else after lol was too irritated to look at it.

View attachment 1147484

.......trying to fix it will make it worse. Covering it up will make it look like a DIY job......either remove it all......or let her go patina.

If it's going to get repainted, I would not go crazy with it. I'd just touch it up with paint or a magic marker.

I see primer. You need to determine how the job was down. Are the stripes tape, or are they painted?

If it is not tape:

The black looks to me like it was painted 1st, then masked and painted white.

If it was tape and took up the white, then your going to have a “step” between the surfaces if you just cover it up.

Me- I would carefully mask the whole stripe and paint it entirely over with maybe SEM Trim Black. If the existing stripe is paint, you could lightly sand/feather edge the missing spot within the stripe. If the stripe is vinyl, remove that portion AFTER masking, feather edge the white, then paint. Several light coats.

If you cannot sand/feather you could try some kind of paint with a texture perhaps.

That’s my 2 cents.

Get yourself a decal/glue remover auto paint stores have Its a rubber disk fits on a drill will remove and WONT damage paint

upload_2021-8-3_10-58-11.png
Just put a couple of these on there.
Everyone loves a Hemi.

Last edited:
I'd leave it till repaint. But if it bothered me enough I'd trace the effected stripe out on paper and buy a piece of 3M vinyl and duplicate it. Shouldn't cost more than $30.

easy fix just hope masking it doesn't take some your color with it do a test don't use the cheap tape

Auto Transport Service
Back