• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnesium anode to stop the rust

the boats need it because of the disimilar metals, stainless and aluminium. I don't think the anode will do much for a car unless it has an aluminium body!
That's me. Steel frame, aluminum body. So where would I put the zinc?

David

That's me. Steel frame, aluminum body. So where would I put the zinc?

David
I'd research ferrari and jaguar to see how they handled it,and if they did anything!

on an I/O or outboard boat they mount the anodes whether zinc or magnesuim[fresh water} on the aluminium near the stainless that's near by!they put one on the bearing carrier that's right beside the propshaft and a couple more near the power trims lines and stainless cross shafts!on inboards they put the anodes right on the stainless propshaft! not sure if being submerged in water and possibly having shore power [adding current flow] on the vessel has to do with location! I'm no guru on it just relaying what i've seen done by the manufacturers!

if the threads are coated with teflon tape, then the tape insulates the zinc anode from the aluminum radiator and the cathodic protection sacrificial anode won't protect the aluminum will it? If the anode is threaded dry then I'm afraid it could leak. Boat anodes are electrically connected to the boat hull, not just immersed in sea water. The anode will still corrode and dissolve, even if it's not protecting the aluminum and iron parts. Anyone have an explanation of how the anode could work if it's insulated with teflon tape, and all the aluminum parts are insulated from the iron block with gaskets?

I've read that it's best to use distilled water (instead of tap water) mixed with anti-freeze to help minimize corrosion.
The anode is the electrode where electricity moves into. The cathode is the electrode where electricity is given out or flows out.

from what I read the by product of the anode corrosion is a form of inert gas.... no clear answer i found.

they have proven to extend the life of the radiators and engines in this case.

My personal experience is..... this is true.

Trust me NPT threads cut the tape and still "connect" with what they're screwed into. If they didn't most of the members here coolant temperature sensors wouldn't work, nor would your oil pressure sensors.

A million hot water heaters can't be wrong :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back