• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magums for 1967 Mopars

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Magnums on 1967 Mopars (specifically a Coronet) were brushed metal or chrome? Also, did they come from the factory with trim rings or without?

I've looked through about 1/2 a dozen Mopar books and can't seem to find any facts on this.

Thanks in advance for your help. Referrals to any books / websites / etc. are appreciated too.

I think the 67 and 68 rims were bright chrome with brushed chrome on the spokes.

I think the 67 and 68 rims were bright chrome with brushed chrome on the spokes.

That is correct and there were no trim rings used on the 67-68 wheels. They used the trim rings from 69-up because the rim portion of the wheel was no longer chromed and they used the trim ring to replace the chrome finish.

It was possible to order the chrome wheels on a 69

Please explain that? If you mean through parts, then yes, as a replacement for an original 67-68 wheel, but you could not order them on a car from the factory on an 69 model.

Last edited:
I'm not going to argue with your "I am the authority" mentality. I don't have to here. And nobody wants to

Understand?

Darryl, you and I both know those books are NOT the be all, end all of what was, or wasn't available on these cars.

So stuff it

Show me proof you couldn't. I've seen a couple of window stickers that had the wheels listed. I didn't think it prudent to remove them from someone's car and make a copy, but it WAS possible to get them. Just like it was possible to get a Levant grain top on a 68, which you supposedly couldn't. How do I know? because I owned a 68 coronet R/T that was an ordered car. 3.23 sure grip, no stripe, ralley instruments, and a LEVANT grain top.

I haven't lost anything. The R/T wasn't an early car with a leftover top. You just can't abide the possibility that you are wrong about something. That's part of the reason people don't care for you.

And by the way. That Coronet R/T I had? Gaylen wanted to buy it to use for a tow car for his Hemi, which was very close to a cosmetic twin. IF the top had been wrong, you can bet your arrogant *** he would have said so.

Guys., I don't have a dog in this fight, but I wll add my .02, because that's what I do when I have info that I feel will help..
In November 1968 I returned from Viet Nam and bought a '69 Coronet R/T 440-4 speed, no head rest car. It had the trim rimg wheels, which I didn't care for (sorry folks that have them, I like them okay now). I asked the Sales Manager if we could swap them for chrome road wheel, like 1967-68. He told me they were not available in 1969, AND that they ran out of them in the end of the 1968 model year, so none were available, at any price. He offered me some off a used 1967, but they had dings, so I passed and bought aftermarket wheels. If what he said was true, they couldn't have offered them in 1969.
NOTE:
Hemi cars with 15" wheels have been seen with chrome 15" road wheels, but my buddy couldn't get them on his Six Pack car, which was also built with 15" wheels, but had no optoins......
Not picking on anyone, but that was what happened to me!

Here's another one of those things. Mopar (supposedly) never offered a 15" road wheel. Ford did. I have a set. But not Mopar. And if Ma had run out of chrome wheels at the end of 68, then you would have seen new 68s with the beauty ring wheels on it as a substitute, much like them offering the T/A and AAR hood after there were supply problems for shaker parts and cars couldn't be delivered with a shaker.

Guys., I don't have a dog in this fight, but I wll add my .02, because that's what I do when I have info that I feel will help..
In November 1968 I returned from Viet Nam and bought a '69 Coronet R/T 440-4 speed, no head rest car. It had the trim rimg wheels, which I didn't care for (sorry folks that have them, I like them okay now). I asked the Sales Manager if we could swap them for chrome road wheel, like 1967-68. He told me they were not available in 1969, AND that they ran out of them in the end of the 1968 model year, so none were available, at any price. He offered me some off a used 1967, but they had dings, so I passed and bought aftermarket wheels. If what he said was true, they couldn't have offered them in 1969.
NOTE:
Hemi cars with 15" wheels have been seen with chrome 15" road wheels, but my buddy couldn't get them on his Six Pack car, which was also built with 15" wheels, but had no optoins......
Not picking on anyone, but that was what happened to me!

Thanks for your input. Now i will tell you what I know about 15" Chrome road wheels. They were NEVER available on any Mopar. However, Motor Rim & Wheel was the supplier of these wheels and over the years ALL 4 US manufacturers used these wheels as factory optional wheels. The DID offer these wheels in 15" for Shelbys and of course Ford had the same bolt pattern as Mopar. So it was POSSIBLE that over time some of these wheels could have been switched around and ended up on a Hemi car. Also, within the last 10 years or so, these wheels have become available repro in many sizes including some of the new wheel sizes like 17" so you see many variations now.

Wheels and hoods

I think you're both right on the 15" Road Wheels, but dealers would get them.

much like them offering the T/A and AAR hood after there were supply problems for shaker parts and cars couldn't be delivered with a shaker.

I actually have a little insiders knowledge about why you could see these hoods on Super Stock Challengers and 'Cudas, when the never came from the factory on anything except T/A and AAR 340-6 pack cars....
Terry Earwood (National Super Stock Champion 1973 in a Hemi 'Cuda) along with Tom Hoover and some other "factory" folks, convinced NHRA that the hoods were optional when he was driving Bill Tanner's factory "Clinic" SS/DA Challenger....and THAT'S the truth! He sported the very first one in 1970, I beleive it was at the NHRA Supernationals at the famed Ontario, Ca. super track and it was shown in most all of the top magazines of the day.
Terry and I went to High School in the same area in Atlanta and raced at the same tracks, etc. and I was around when that went down. Interesting story, Terry was quite persuasive and a pretty good driver and engine man. When Tanners folded his tents, he went to work for Steve Bagwell, prepped his cars and drove one or the other at regional, local and national events.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Actually, you are both correct when it comes to the AAR and T/A hoods. They were an OPTION, and there were also used as a subsititute for a while when there was a shortage of shaker hoods. This was a long time arguement with the "E" body crowd until someone came up with some FACTORY PROOF regarding the fact that they were optional. I don't have it but certainly someone on a "E" body board does if you want to search for it.

T/A hoods

The proof probably came from Earwood! LOL! I don't believe they ever made any with that hood, and it's not listed on any option sheets that I've seen......

I don't think I still have it, but when I was running the Challenger in the Pure Stock and Factory Stock drags, Galen furnished me with documentation that showed where the hoods were a replacement when the problems with the shakers popped up, that they were a CHECKABLE option for lat 70 model cars, and that they were available across the board as a checkable option for the 71 model year......even on cars factory equipped with A/C.

Well...I found this

Hood letter 1.jpg

Um, aren't moderators by definition supposed to keep the peace and goodwill on the message boards? I would think being a moderator you would have a more polite way of stating a disagreement......

Rev.

Auto Transport Service
Back