• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making hole in headliner

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Been racking my brain with a few options but looking for opinions on what guys doin/using to make a hole for the shoulder belt, shoulder belt retainer clips, and coat hooks? I know where the shoulder belt anchor bolt goes in but what about the rest to find them? I mean, I'm nervous to make a hole(s) without screwing it up because it's new. This is a 71 B-body if need be. Thanks!

Measuring from known points and drawing up a diagram before installing the headliner helps.

Learned this trick from the guy that installed a headliner once...

-Leave the rear view mirror screws in before you put the headliner in
-After headliner installed, feel for the screw heads
-Get a 1/4" 6pt socket or one thats slightly smaller than screw head
-Put the socket head up so the headliner is between the socket hex and the screw head
-Rotate the hex socket and it will cut a perfect ROUND hole in the right spot.

Key is getting a round hole. So it won't start a tear in the future.

Should be able to do same if you can find a round head screw the same diameter at the threads of you shoulder belt bolts that will also bolt into your shoulder belt screw holes in body.

Thanks guys. Headliner is in. Forgot to mention in my post but the shoulder belt hole is marked, visors, and rear view mirror. Someone told me to use a soldering iron to make a hole but I'm too nervous to do that. I guess I'll go the razor blade option but just nervous

Have you cut a nylon rope? To keep it from fraying you melt the end. That's what the soldering iron does.

Use a awl to penetrate through. I wouldn’t use a razor. I left the screws in the visor holes and rear view mirror holes but yours is installed. I would feel out the holes and run a awl through. Good luck.

Second the use of an awl. The only holes needing a larger cut are for the shoulder harness anchor bolts.

Second the use of an awl. The only holes needing a larger cut are for the shoulder harness anchor bolts.
I realize and know that. That was the plan but with my OCD, I'm just nervous to slip and make a bigger cut. I don't want the holes to "spider" out from cutting it through time I guess

^^^ thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back