• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making progress

Anyone want to see my adventures in welding?

its not pretty but it is solid.. had to figure it out..LOL
I was using to much heat and not enough feed speed and buring some holes. Finally got it figured out and actually laid down a real bead once or twice. The automatic helmet works great but I cant see to good... I think I need a lighter glass shade, my eyes arent great to begin with.. But the drivers floor is in and solid. Still need to finish it up and use some seam sealer.. its ugly but effective. I'll get better at it. The 120v Eastwood mig 135 welder didnt have any issues at all. Just the person using it...LOL

Attachments

• 100_5082.jpg
    100_5082.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 673
  • 100_5080.jpg
    100_5080.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 667
99SS:
I've been following along with your process. I have to say that I'm impressed with your attitude, determination and success. The car is looking good!

To be 100% honest I just dont know what else to do... I just cant quit on it.. I would love to give up and admit defeat... I'm just to freaking stubborn ....old new englander thing.. the last thing you ever wanted to tell one of my uncles from Maine was you couldnt do it. Where there is a will there is a way ! ( just wish it wasnt me sometimes)

Not much to report.. windshield is in and the car is moved over to make room for the first project that was supposed to be completed before the SS was started. I bought a 97 BMW 740il for cheap money that was in awesome condition. Needed a cam sensor replaced..LOL is why I got it so cheap few odds and ends but car is like fresh off the showroom floor otherwise.. got it for 3k. book value on it is 4650 so I cant really lose on it....LOL

The Sport Satellite is on hold until the 1979 z28 hybrid is completed. Then with the money from the sale of the Z28 I'll finish the restoration on the Plymouth with better results. I found a dash cap for $50 for it and now just need the rest of the panels to complete my dash...hahaha but for the most part the car interior all be it old and shotty looking is complete including a new headliner I bought for it. I need to take the fenders off to align the doors properly before I can or should drive it again. To be honest I get jealous on nice days when everyone else has their cars out and I'm cruising in the beamer... it aint right.. the beamer is sweet but its not a summer cruiser....
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3079469344.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/3086377427.html

you're doing a freaking awsome job! wa nna pratice some more mig welding...I've got a pair of 1/4 skins that have been hanging in my garage since '07....:grin:

Things are looking good bud, you have some head strong determination! and its showing...
thumbs.gif

Ok cut the pass front floor out where it was bad and am going to weld in the panel in a few minutes. I also put the car up for sale on CL to see what interest it would bring, I could really use the money.. lost work and so I'm hurting for coin.. but I'm not giving it away either and dont know if it will sell anyway.. most people want a real RR OR GTX or Charger and a 4 speed to boot ...LOL
I'll keep plugging away on it when I can and eventually it will be where I want it to be. It has an appt for the exhaust work on the 9th so it will be one step closer and at least sound the way it should with a 440 under the hood. Its choking through a 1 3/4 y and tailpipe right now..hahahahaha

I need to take the fender off to align the drivers door ... does the bumper have to come off ?

Then the interior needs to be done although its not far from it the car is almost ready to be driven.. But the gages need rebuilding and all this little crap is more than I can afford to spend right now and so the for sale ad on CL... Saw a 68 Charger I'd like to snag if I can get enough for this one...LOL.. but dont expect this to sell for the 8k I am asking for it

It needs a set of wheels !
i like the salt flat specials or the other wheels that came out that year but finding a set of them for decent money isnt easy and they dont take a bigger tire very well do they?

needs headlights to... LOL and the screws for the side view mirror, I have the chrome strip for the headlight.. needs one piece of the SS for the windshield and the grill isnt screwed in as I am re-paiting it .. it was faded and sand blasted from the miles of driving ..LOL

Attachments

• 100_5216.jpg
    100_5216.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 100_5215.jpg
    100_5215.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 100_5218.jpg
    100_5218.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 566
man that sucks having to sell it after you've brought it so far!

New Rookie Record !!

I think I just set a new rookie record for hanging a door/latch and striker :headbang:

Pics to follow .. took the fender off re-hung the door and mated op the latching mechanism.. maybe 4 hrs.. all solo of course..

damaged the paint a tiny bit in a couple spots but that gives me a chance top practice my touch up skills.

seam sealed the new floor patch and am going to paint the floor today as well.

I need new seat foam and maybe to address the door and trunk locks next...
But since I decdied to try and sell it I've been busting my butt on it..LOL
There was a 68 I wanted to grab and if I had the coin I could have snagged a great deal on it so maybe I was a little bitter about having this car instead and not the coin to get my dream car... 68 Charger

But the labor and love are going back into the SS and I dont think it will sell for the 8k I want ... kind of priced it in the not going to sell range.... But its full speed ahead again to a degree.. The cables and parts needed to finish the interior on the Z28 arrived today so I have two cars I am working on simultaneously... glutten for punishment I guess,, but I have to do something.. I actually do like working on them even though I complain about it.. thats why we're all here isnt it :love2:

Car looks good in the sun, I want to cruise it again so unless someone meets my price it isnt going anywhere but back on the road with tires spitting rubber! Still need to figure out what rear end is in it and have it rebuilt.. one wheel wonder going on.

BUT the final rust work is done on the old girl for now. Next year I'll take the passenger quarter off and do the rear deck filler and have the vinyl roof put on... if there money is there and air grabber and all the fixings.... need some magnums as well and new rubber

have an apt on the 10th of July for the dual exhaust installation so it wll sound like a 440 now

I'll slowly aquire the missing stainless pieces as well and get this old girl looking like she should...
You know its been one hell of a bumpy road with this car but when I look at what it was to what it is and it was all me... I swell up with a bit of pride. No it isnt a show car.. but the more practice I get on other cars.. maybe just maybe I'll get to the quality needed to be able to stand next to the really fine cars

Been watching for a bit, it's just amazing to me how fast some people get their projects done. Mine take forever, and yours looks great after half a year. Way to go, especially with all the setbacks and weather you dealt with. Thumbs up!!

-=Photon440=-

todays pictures of progress

I even broke a sweat today...
floor pics are from yesterday...
took a few to show how good of condition this car really is..

Attachments

• 100_5229.jpg
    100_5229.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 505
  • 100_5230.jpg
    100_5230.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 518
  • 100_5228.jpg
    100_5228.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 516
  • 100_5227.jpg
    100_5227.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_5226.jpg
    100_5226.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 509
  • 100_5231.jpg
    100_5231.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 509
  • 100_5233.jpg
    100_5233.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 519
I see you went with the SS side scoop trim. Looks great, just the right amount of sparkle and shine against your blue paint.

I've managed to adjust my doors without having to remove the fender though. Was something in the way?

Couldnt reach the bolt thats on the outside of the car

So to hang the dooir... I loosened all the bolts and pushed the door into place where I wanted it. Used a piece of plywood under the door handle to wedge it into place while I held the door with one had and the air ratched with the other.. Wasnt easy....
Tightend all the bolts and it worked..LOL
The striker was a bit of a task as well. Just went slow and left the screws loose and close the door slowly and used a flashlight to see what was going on .. figured out the angle it needed and how much shimming and it closed sweet now.. I'm actually impressed with myself on how nice is opens and closes now. You can just push it close with minimal effort.. no slamming needed to get it to latch all the way... its awesome.. maybe like it came out of the factory almost...hahahaha

Need to get the aside view mirror attached.. anyone know what size stud that goes in there?

I even broke a sweat today...
floor pics are from yesterday...
took a few to show how good of condition this car really is..

It is in good shape... and looking better as you go. Those doors are hard to do sometime's and to do it by yourself i imagine was hard.

Problem I have, besides bad typing and spelling skills and a list we dont want to get into , is that I dont want to finish the interior until I have the vintage air unit or a plymouth heater/ac unit installed. right now it has a little mojave heat unit. It works well but its just a small little box with a hose for the defroster vent...
I dont want to have the pull the dash out again and no sense in going a whole lot further with it but I want to drive it....LOL

Exhaust is getting done as well as a wheel bearing and the plugs.....LOL few things I didnt want to do myself, easier to let some else do them.
I dont have a pipe bender or the know how..hahahaha and the plugs are horrible to get at and to be honest.. wheel bearings are not something I like to take on. Never had training on them from anyone of any kind and they are important to safety so better left to someone who knows what they are doing

I need some wheels for this car !!

Trade the rallyes for some magnums??

Auto Transport Service
Back