• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making progress

Thx guys. I've looked into a metal carport.. $1215 for a 18 x 21 x 8. I'll do the sides and end cap with plywood and 2x4's but it will have a steel frame and roof and be a lot better this time. The 79 z28 is next and then I'll revisit the plymouth and do it better. 18' wide is good the 21 feet long should do as well.

I filed a claim of $1530 so we'll see what they pay off. The car isnt covered by home owners ins no matter what.. I did not know that.. luckily the damage was minimal to it so I'm not suicidal about it. The fuse block didnt get wet in the car and the interior was in the real garage so all in all it could have been much much worse.. the rotors that were ties to it to help weigh it down could have done a lot of damage but didnt... got lucky .... maybe that the name of the car...Lucky

whats the line from Josey Wales " endeavor to persevere"

Cars aren't covered but parts are depending on circumstances. If the "parts" were off the car being worked on or stored they could be covered. Hint hint.

Damn man. Totally blows. Sorry to see what happen. Best of luck with the insurance company.

well I submitted 1580 and got 411 after a 500 deductable.. time to rework the insurance and compare.. wasnt real happy about their deny eveything first response and 500 deductable sucks .... its enough for another tent but I need a sturdier structure for the occasional hurricane force winds we get..... I;m exposed right now though so I have to do something quick.. maybe the carport still and close it in myself

I just seen what prop said in his thread, wow, if it wasn't for bad luck, did you break a mirror! Last i seen everything was going smooth for you. Man im really sorry to hear of this set back! That just sucks, im glad there wasn't anymore damage then there was and you can recover from it.. a carport and enclose it not a bad idea, thats what i use, very affective but small (mine) and cheap to do, i think i have 2300 dollars in it, i used rough cut lumber from a sawmill to finish it, of course you need plywood for walls.. Here is a link to check out different dimensions, go in-between in the sizes, you can gain a couple feet with same price..

There's a program to check prices and styling you want to see what you may get.. For instance a 18x20 is 795 the next size is 18x24 for 1195 next length is 27 and price gos up again but if you go to 26 in length, it stays at 1195.. you'll get it, hope it helps you some, you need some good luck for sure..

http://www.carport.com/

Oh if you change the width any, all that gos out the door i said about gaining a couple feet in between sizes for some reason.. Good luck.

car port is a no go... need 20 ft from the front property line so that killed that...
Just going to have to tent it again and this time sink 3 ft long rebar and use rope over the top of the whole thing.... checked out the building codes and stuff.. I had a 21x18 with with gables and 3ft of side panel for 1550 (metal building) lined up (delivered and set up)until I read the permit codes... I can extend my current garage another 5 ft so that might be a future option.. not going to build in the back yard

I was told here in Pa. That a carport isint like a garage so people can do it, ive seen them sit right in driveways, one with sides and back but no front.. it was on the outskirts of town but still in the boro. of course when you enclose it, that would be a different story i imagine. But if you put up a 18x20 and just used pieces of your tent that came down to keep the weather off, that might work. Sometimes you can explain these things and if the right person is listening, you may be surprised. 18x20 holds my car but only a foot in front an back,, the width, no problem.. all they can do is say no, i think id talk with them and see if they will work with you. just a suggestion, your due some good luck i believe.

Rules can be different if it's a 'temporary' structure. Basically if you don't poar (sp?) a foundation for the car port it should be considered temporary.

I checked into it all... the interestong thing is that the inspector said its fed law.. and that a garage port is considered a building. The temp building can be up for 15 days consecutive max... then it comes to enforcment... I could probably get away with it for a while but all it would take is one neghbor to complain and then it would have to come down.

That is unfortunate. Might have to try and use the carport but have a BBQ, invite all you neighbors and fill their bellys full of hamburgers & beer. Maybe that'll keep them quiet for a while. Maybe.....

Sorry to hear read about your trouble. Keep the faith! I am really impressed with your can do attitude - I sometimes need more of that myself, so you are an inspiration to me to tackle bigger projects like my bodywork.

So, I want to ask an obvious question: Why not put the car in the garage??

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but sometimes we all get blinded and can't see the forest for the trees. I'm sure you have a lot of stuff in the garage. The question is: is it easier to move that stuff into other (maybe several) locations rather than build another temporary garage? Seems to me that multiple smaller things are easier to find a storage place for then one big car.

Just food for thought...

Thats plan B... Its full of stuff right now .. and the Plymouth was blocking the door the get it out...LOL but the garage is not long enough anyway a nd with the work bench its a tight fit even without all the stuff being stored in there..... If I can get the stuff out of the garage I am thinking of adding on to it for a final solution.. 5 more feet would let me put a car in there and I can frame up a small curtain type frame and use plastic to make walls and isolate the space when I paint and sand.. I need 3 feet on both sides of the car 4 feet would be better in order to walk around it and paint... cars are about 6 feet wide and my workable space is about 18 ft wide.. size of the overhead door...

Stripes part deux

You can see the right front fender where it was clipped by the pole...
Stripes are done though.. moving forward no time to look back.

The tent is now 10" less tall and 8 feet less in length after some post storm alterations but it can still hold a car for paint... had a quick window today in between storm fronts so I went for it. :headbang:

Attachments

• 100_5066.jpg
    100_5066.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 468
  • 100_5065.jpg
    100_5065.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 464
  • 100_5068.jpg
    100_5068.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 100_5070.jpg
    100_5070.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 100_5071.jpg
    100_5071.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 468
  • 100_5073.jpg
    100_5073.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 465
  • 100_5072.jpg
    100_5072.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 490
Man, such determination! Glad to see you on your feet running with it after what happened. Looks like you're on pace to have a nice cruiser for the summer comming up (as long as we don't keep getting snow! Lol).

To borrow a line from a song... I get knocked down but I get up again your never gonna keep me down :)

Painted the tail panel before the weather set in. Going to try and weld in in the floors.. havent mig welded before should be interesting :eusa_think:

Attachments

• 100_5074.jpg
    100_5074.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_5076.jpg
    100_5076.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 100_5075.jpg
    100_5075.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 406
Holy Cow Man! You have got MAD SKILLZ... Can I send my car over to live in the tent for a while? You can paint it whatever color you like!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back