• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making progress

99ss

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Wife told me I was ruining the kids childhood embarrassing hem driving them around in a &^%$ box. So I had to do something quick. I'm driving this car because it runs real good and I don't have the money to do a complete restoration right now...... so I'm making due.
The car has a stigma about it.. The orange paint combined with the rust really was ugly in a few spots. I bought the car after inspecting it and knew the front clip was fine, it needed a new back half basically.... quarters, trunk pan and deck filler... inners are fine......
So I've done a few things to it along the way to make it safe to drive and reliable.. Now its getting a quick stuff and spray to shut the old lady up...LOL
Yes the rear quarters and filler panel are body filler for now. I need $2250 in sheet metal to do it correctly. The front clip will cost $150/piece to have dipped ( thats the plan when I do restore the car fully). Right now I bought an Indy blue and flat black to spruce it up. The paint system cost less than $200 but it will do the job. I'll have about $350 into the paint job... I have new floors waiting to go in and the correct dash frame for the rallye dash I stuffed into it (a/c) as well so I am making some progress on the car.
Takes time and money.. two things I don't have...LOL.. so I am doing it in steps... I have new leaf springs as well and am trying to get some hemi torsion bars.. but Xmas is here and there is no extra money right now.
SO far I have about $5700 into this car. It needs a new interior... I will accumulate that slowly over time as well. Had the car for less than a year now.

Attachments

• P1010240.jpg
    P1010240.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,949
  • P1010246.jpg
    P1010246.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,951
  • P1010250 (2).jpg
    P1010250 (2).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,022
  • P1010271.jpg
    P1010271.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,944
  • 100_4495.jpg
    100_4495.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,860
  • 100_4926.jpg
    100_4926.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,841
  • 100_4924.jpg
    100_4924.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,845
  • 100_4928.jpg
    100_4928.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,850
  • 100_4815.jpg
    100_4815.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,867
  • 100_4507.jpg
    100_4507.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,845
Great job..... Wife's will ever understand guy's & there cars.....Keep on Driving !!

Wow nice project, I am in a similar boat except macco paint on top of original T5 that looks like crap on a bun lol. I am curious about this paint system you are talking about? you are doing the prime and prep yourself?

Yes its just me doing it all. Its from tcp global... they have restoration shop and kustom paint as well as House of Kolor.. the cheap stuff is the restoration shop paint.. and their epoxy primer.. Should be good for a while. When I restore it for real I will use House of Kolor.... I like their kandies... I'm a 100% amateur.. I know how it's done, worked in a body shop a long long time ago as a goffer.. but I'm not stupid and its not rocket science... the paint job is all in the prep and correct correct steady temp when your spraying and its curing...... thats the hard part for me... I have a 26x16 tent I bought and am doing this in the driveway... LOL.. yeah wife gave me crap about the tent as well..

I pulled the chrome off and will pop the tail lights out today and finish up the paint removal. Maybe get all the filler work done.
I'll need a jet heater to get the temps up to spray the primer but it will tell me how the paint is going to go. I cant get the primer to lay flat then there is no way the paint will and I dont want to wet sand either.. its a single stage system.. no clear coat needed

They say happy Wife happy life, the only way I can make her happy is if I'm happy and I get that in my garage with my dog working on my car. My boys have helped and if nothing more they have learned the value of hard work and doing it yourself. Keep up the good work.

Good to see you making so much headway. Good luck with the rest. Ron

Thx guys, tail lights are out and finshed the back this am, just need to pull the grill to finish the front and then do the roof... which I think I'll use the chemical stripper as it only has one layer of paint on it.. most of the rest of the car had 7-11 layers
I burned out 2 ---4.5" grinders a new milwaukee and a master I had for years mechanic... the milwaukee burnt in less than 6 hrs, I'll never buy milwaukee again and then bought a 7" Sears pro craftsman and it has done the job without issue so far..
gonna swap the leafs tosay maybe as well, taking a break from the paint removal right now... Sun is out. Might be a good time ro drive the car out and sweep the tent/wash down the walls from all the dust....

How are you stripping the paint? Sander of media blaster?

wire wheel, media blasting the areas I cant hit with the wheel, napa chemical.. gone through 3 wire wheels so far as well, but just have the piece under the grill left and the roof now.... stopped to swap out the leafs just for a change of pace and to let my son do something.. Sick of wearing that mask.. it gets heavy on you face after a while but it works great.

The paint stripper from napa works good though so the roof sould be easy work...
then its sanding the body filler ... using some real nice stuff for final coat.. quantum.. real creamy and sands ultra smooth... hate doing the final work... I'm never happy with what I do...LOL
I probably have clsoe to 40 hrs into the paint removal...
no one ever stripped what was there, they just kep piling it on

I need a bigger garage! lol thanks for the info trying to decide if doing the strip and prep myself is worth the mess in my garage and I have no clue how to prep either. Keep up the pics nice to see such great progress you are inspiring :)

No way I would do it in the garage... the dust and sand gets everywhere... I bought a tent/canopy just to do it not in the garage... even if it was an option...LOL
I'll use 80 or 120 grit on a da before I prime this just to smooth the metal surface better after using the wire wheel... nothing real fancy just quick once over to make it not look like a total hack job.

prep is just a matter of sanding and sanding... using blocks on long flat areas and having a feel for panel... its not hard to do but if you close your eyes and run your hand over it you can feel the rises and dips.. the tops of the quarters on this things are hosed and I wont spend much time on them as I know as soon as I can I'll replace them...

Hey 99ss, where in Oregon are you? I live in Tigard and my buddy was looking at getting this car a while ago but waited too long and now is looking into another 1. Congrats on it tho.

ST Helens, someone is actually still coming to look at it maybe next week. The price went up on it for the parts and labor I just put into it but all my cars are always for sale.. for the right price.. you know how it is...LOL
He's looking at that one in Sheldon?? same guy I got mine from I think.. to much money though... I think its the same car that was at the local mopar junk yard for 3200

Quick update new leafs and shackles halfway in, wire brushing the frame as I go and painting it with rust preventer and black chassis paint.. Car is stripped of paint the quarters are under repair...LOL.. hate to no be replacing them but this has to do for now... I'm making no attempt to hide the fact I'm using filler right now so no one can accuse me of anything... hahahaha

Attachments

• 100_4960.jpg
    100_4960.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,711
  • 100_4961.jpg
    100_4961.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,716
  • 100_4962.jpg
    100_4962.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,700
We just went through the same restoration, replaced nearly the entire rear end with new sheet metal (sail panels/quarters/package tray/window trim/trunk trim,etc.) You're making great progress, keep it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back