• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifold Question: What will I lose?

unclepunchy

Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Would the earth explode if I used these older 2 BBL style Exhaust manifolds instead of Headers on my 383? What would I be sacrificing? Top end? etc.

- Currently the engine is a 40 over with stock 4BBL manifold, Edelbrock AVS 650 CFM, 516 Heads and a 'stockish' Summit cam. I don't really care about top end. Low end Torque is good though...

Cheers

20221129_121339.jpg

Manifolds1.jpg

Depends entirely on what you want your car for. If you just cruise around and don't exceed 3-4000 rpm then your world won't explode.
If you like a free breathing, more efficient engine then you may be disappointed.
The more modified the engine, the bigger the loss in not using headers.

The '67-'71 H.P. manifolds would be a good upgrade. But, they are getting expensive. I never cared for headers; they usually leak somewhere.

What kind of car is the engine going into? Are the manifolds from the same kind of car?

What kind of car is the engine going into? Are the manifolds from the same kind of car?

I'm going to cram it in my 73 Duster. Already have the Schumacher mounts, etc.

Original engine is from a 69 Charger (No I dont have the car)

That left side won’t fit a b-body very well, the collector will very close to touching the steering coupler.

The b-body collector dumps behind #7 plug.

Cast iron is a lot less maintenance than headers. You could check for any casting flash inside the ports before you install them. File or die grind if neccessary.

There was a special L.H. exhaust manifolds for use with a B-motor in an A-body. It kinda curled under the steering shaft. I agree that the pictured manifold will not fit. I assumed you were putting this in a B-body. That special A-body manifold is made from Unobtanium and is priced thusly. Headers might be your only option.

I kind of figured, that like lots of things Mopar, mixing and matching can be a can of worms... The motor will, in theory, run ok with the small manifolds, but not if you can't get the engine in the car. That must be why there is so many different crazy looking exhaust manifolds in the Mopar world.

Your best bet would be a 1 3/4 tti for room and fitment.
Yeah, they're pricey. But the biggest problem with bb+a body is exhaust.

Chrysler widened the chassis, and engine compartment on the A-bodies when they were redesigned for 1967. Plymouth offered a Big Block 383 in the Barracuda pretty well from the get-go for 1967. Dodge Division kinda dragged their heels on this, saying a 383 would not fit in a Dart. It took Mr. Norm of Grand Spaulding Dodge fame to show a conversion he did to make them change their mind. This resulted in the late-in-the-year addition of the 383-powered 1967 Dart GTS. It seems that Plymouth and Dodge did not talk to each other. The few factory produced 1969 440 Darts and 'Cudas were even more cramped. The raised deck height of the 440 caused the assembled width across the heads to be greater than that of the low deck 383.

Cast iron is a lot less maintenance than headers. You could check for any casting flash inside the ports before you install them. File or die grind if neccessary.
What maintenance is on Headers?
Doug

What do these people do to these gaskets. I mean sure the old white Mr.Gasket, gaskets would blow out when it rained. They were the cheap junk that came with the headers, nobody actually used them. If your overheating a header to burn a hole in it your certainly going to crack a HP manifold.

I had a 383 2bbl I put in a 68 dodge pickup. All I did to the engine was an edelbrock performer 4bbl, and an afb off a poly 318. The truck ran awesome! It would spin 31” all all terrains no problem, it would cruise nice, and it wasn’t a slouch.

However, hp manifolds are the next step, and I do have a really good pair (the failed paint attempt makes them look worse then they are), with all the hardware. I’d let go for $450 plus the shipping (these bastards are heavy!)

630EA390-961D-4484-9002-80DAAFFDE5E8.jpeg

28F8ABFC-EDC1-422F-87E9-F6D947E5D663.jpeg

2C28F088-FA29-4250-9305-E16FD29822BB.jpeg

U can use those manifolds in your 73 duster. U can also use C body hp manifolds. B body manifolds will work too. Go over to Fabo and ask your question. U will get a hundred replies. I have done 20 plus cars myself. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back