• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual gear boxes

madmopar

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might be able to find info,diagrams or the like on how to service or break down a manual steering box? They seem pretty straight forward but just want to be sure. I can't figure out how to remove the worm gear from the housing. Tons of info out there on power steering boxes but nothing the manual units.

I did a write up on here over weekend on taking mine apart. Maybe it can help. I’m not sure how to copy and paste links.

I did a write up on here over weekend on taking mine apart. Maybe it can help. I’m not sure how to copy and paste links.

I came across it right after I posted lol. I was indeed very helpful! Thank you!

Just don't do like I did and fill it with 80/90 oil as the FSM would lead you to believe. That's for top up only, it's supposed to be kind of a grease / oil mix. I need to drain my steering box with a suction pump and refill properly.

I read somewhere that you can go to a John Deere dealership and buy a grease for steering boxes. I haven’t got that far yet but that’s where I’m leaning at the moment.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back