• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Steering box date code help

RT68440

Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
Ive been trying to get a solid answer on how to decode the manual Steering box date codes with no luck. Can someone tell me what my code means please?

D0305G

Thanks!

Do you have a picture you can post? There is a casting date in the housing and an assembly date stamped into the housing. Can you give us an idea what it is out of? That will help with the date.

"D" on the top cover designates that cover to be for 68 model year...

As 69rt said above on the backside that mates with the k frame will be a casting number and a pinwheel with a number in the center and little dots around it....Or sometimes just a casting number only...that will tell you the year and the month which will coincide with the "D" on the top cover.....or the casting number will give an idea to year...

I just looked at the one on my X and it has just a casting number only....

Last edited:
I will get some pics up later today. The car is a '68 Charger with a SPD of April 15th. The other number that I've found is on the round part of the body where the splined shaft for the pitman arm comes out of the box. The number is 2537349 4. There isn't a pinwheel but a long series of blocks like on an auto trans tail shaft, but there are no braile dots in any of the squares..

I will get some pics up later today. The car is a '68 Charger with a SPD of April 15th. The other number that I've found is on the round part of the body where the splined shaft for the pitman arm comes out of the box. The number is 2537349 4. There isn't a pinwheel but a long series of blocks like on an auto trans tail shaft, but there are no braile dots in any of the squares..
Then you do have the correct manual box........That part number is correct for 67-69....The one for my GTX which is 100% original to the car it does not have the date pin wheel either, 2537349-6 with an E(69) take a look at the last pages of my thread....

Thanks Justin, actually the last page of your thread is what prompted me to look at my steering box. The more that I looked online and in my MMC Detroit manual, the more confused I got. I generally try to figure it out on my own, but I threw in the towel on this one

Some had the date wheel and some did not...no idea why?

Then you coordinate the part number of the main case and the top plate...

Keep in mind once on the car. All anyone can see is the top plate....

You are good to go....just be sure if you send it out to get redone to take pics and tell whomever you want that unit back....

I see, from what I've read the beginning letter was the year, so F=1970, E=1969,etc. So the D told me that mine was a 68 box, but all I was seeing online was that the number sequence was the day of the year, so mine was the 305th day of 1968 which was way later than the cars SPD, which got me wondering.

The rest of those numbers and last letter have yet to be fully clarified, yet....you will see opinions that vary...

Hence look at my box again....the first time that was unbolted was by me.

Again, pics.....but 0305 (month/day March 5th) would make sense with that SPD.

Ok here are a couple of pictures. Turns out there is a pinwheel that I missed because it was covered in gunk. I cleaned up that area the best that I could to try and get a good pic.

IMG_20170626_203642659.jpg

IMG_20170626_204023053.jpg
IMG_20170626_203947009.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back