• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching Numbers defined

you are looking in the wrong spot look at the pass . side pan rail just in front of motor mount there is a machined pad the with the last 8 digits of vin on it

My car has a 440 in it, and it has a 440 emblem on the hood. Does that make it numbers matching?

One thing I've noticed over the years is the stamps themselves. They used metal stamps, and these wore out or were lost and had to be replaced from time to time, and they were obviously not replaced as a set. I've seen lots of stamps with different font types and sizes where a worker just grabbed whatever numbers/letters were needed and hit them. So I always take a closer look at stamps where all the letters and numbers are the same font type and size.

I was wondering if I could have some help on this one
I have a 69 Super Bee with the numbers matching motor and what I believe is the original transmission , The original owner told me the car is untouched and has never been apart , so the numbers on the oil pan rail read 2953689L2539 9796 and the pad on the passenger side is blank
I looked up the part number 2953689 and it's not in the book , the date of manufacturing 2539 comes up as July 10 1969 and the last number 9796 is the sequence number the transmission is built any thoughts on this and why I can't find that part number also there is no PK stamped on the rail , any help would be appreciated

I have a 69 Super Bee with the numbers matching motor and what I believe is the original transmission , The original owner told me the car is untouched and has never been apart , so the numbers on the oil pan rail read 2953689L2539 9796 and the pad on the passenger side is blank
I looked up the part number 2953689 and it's not in the book , the date of manufacturing 2539 comes up as July 10 1969 and the last number 9796 is the sequence number the transmission is built any thoughts on this and why I can't find that part number also there is no PK stamped on the rail , any help would be appreciated
Warrantee trans maybe?

Some great information around the basics to verification of "Numbers Matching".

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are also what are deemed original "reference examples", that are in a category far exceeding just simply numbers matching to collectible. They are those un-touched, un-redone, un-change and truely representative of what the factory produced examples.... and they are literally a treasure trove of date codes/part numbers restorers can look to for guidance ?

My two cents; take it or spit on it (or if your immature like me...fart on it). Matching numbers can be classified as here say. In california there is a huge problem with fraud on the desireable mopars.

For instance, the old man got suckered into buying a 1971 chevelle 454 4spd (while not a mopar I heard it’s more common with them...which I guess can be classified as here say) Vin was on there and the pink slip was hand written. Oh no he di’nt...yes folks he did. Anyhow, everything checked out blah blah. Turns out due to a friend who works in the DMV, numbers were skewed if you know what I’m saying. Needless to say the old man was furious and won a small civil suit against the dmv about 8 years ago.

Point being is while matching numbers are tits and I’m not saying things may be too good to be true there are other factors. The best explanation is this: you walk into a super market and see a nice steak. You inquire and find out that the steak came from Fred the cow. You in fac know it came from Fred because the burger told you and all the ear tag numbers match. While this is great. We don’t know if it was treated for a virus or bacteria or even common cow cold.

Point being is from a stand point of a numbers matching block there are so many other more important factors. Does it have the same carb, fuel pump, heads, etc.

Most likely not. The major point is this: would you take a numbers matching 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 383? Or that same 1970 Roadrunner with a hemi from a different car in 1970.

It’s a state of mind people! Some cars that are numbers matching are more sentimental to people with that kind of mopar fetish if you will. Whereas people see hemi and they go blind!

Am I right or am I right?

I should mention that this 12-pack if Budweiser went down smooth so as my wife says...”please be gentle” with your comments!:thumbsup:

Oh wow! Just re-read and realize I was way off topic! Guess I’ll just drown my own ignorance in another can of beer. :BangHead:

My two cents; take it or spit on it (or if your immature like me...fart on it). Matching numbers can be classified as here say. In california there is a huge problem with fraud on the desireable mopars.

For instance, the old man got suckered into buying a 1971 chevelle 454 4spd (while not a mopar I heard it’s more common with them...which I guess can be classified as here say) Vin was on there and the pink slip was hand written. Oh no he di’nt...yes folks he did. Anyhow, everything checked out blah blah. Turns out due to a friend who works in the DMV, numbers were skewed if you know what I’m saying. Needless to say the old man was furious and won a small civil suit against the dmv about 8 years ago.

Point being is while matching numbers are tits and I’m not saying things may be too good to be true there are other factors. The best explanation is this: you walk into a super market and see a nice steak. You inquire and find out that the steak came from Fred the cow. You in fac know it came from Fred because the burger told you and all the ear tag numbers match. While this is great. We don’t know if it was treated for a virus or bacteria or even common cow cold.

Point being is from a stand point of a numbers matching block there are so many other more important factors. Does it have the same carb, fuel pump, heads, etc.

Most likely not. The major point is this: would you take a numbers matching 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 383? Or that same 1970 Roadrunner with a hemi from a different car in 1970.

It’s a state of mind people! Some cars that are numbers matching are more sentimental to people with that kind of mopar fetish if you will. Whereas people see hemi and they go blind!

Am I right or am I right?

I should mention that this 12-pack if Budweiser went down smooth so as my wife says...”please be gentle” with your comments!:thumbsup:
Who the hell would give a cow a guys name?

Maybe a bull....

Oh wow! Just re-read and realize I was way off topic! Guess I’ll just drown my own ignorance in another can of beer. :BangHead:
1) I would buy the Road Runner, pull the Hemi,and throw a 383 in it.

2) If any of my cattle have a health issue i treat them with the appropriate drug at the appropriate dosage with the proper withdrawal time before slaughter. Don't believe all the BS you hear from the uninformed...

3) have another beer:icon_fU:

1) I would buy the Road Runner, pull the Hemi,and throw a 383 in it.

2) If any of my cattle have a health issue i treat them with the appropriate drug at the appropriate dosage with the proper withdrawal time before slaughter. Don't believe all the BS you hear from the uninformed...

3) have another beer:icon_fU:
Well said my friend :)

My 70 REAL V-code Roadrunner has the VIN on the dash, fender tag, hidden locations, all match, all with that wonderful "V"
but the engine is a 71, a damn good 71 with "heavy" rods and a forged steel crank.
Being a real V-code, but not numbers matching is really the ideal situation for me. It was "only" $4X,*** although they were asking $59k for it. So that difference allowed me to buy it (I figure if it was the original engine and transmission it would have been in the $6Xk range). It also frees my conscience to do the performance upgrades I want to do, like the Passon a855 5 speed that's in it, the 4.10 ring and pinion that replaced the correct 3.54 in the Dana 60, the 4.10 came right after the 5 speed and is a match made in heaven for my performance desires. When I lock down a wheel company that can widen my Year One 9" aluminum Rallye wheels, maintaining their side view appearance, but allowing a much wider than my current 315/35/17 (which is really nice, and pretty darn wide) I will either tub or mini-tub it to accommodate really wide rear tires because they look AMAZING on a B-Body. And the complete QA1 front suspension system and tubular K-member is here, waiting for time and money to get it installed. A triangulated rear suspension system is coming soon too.

I'm pretty upset at this point as I can't find the numbers matching valve stems for my rims and hubcaps. I did however find the matching air for the tires

As you can guess, I am one that wants a car for what it is in my hands, more then the coin and stamp collector side of it. But I fully understand these cars at long last are getting valuable enough you gotta start paying attention to that stuff... the prices are so high now, it matters (even if it doesn't to me)

I'd take a non original 426 over a 383 any day, but that's just me

Auto Transport Service
Back