• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge port single and dual plane intakes? 6bbl??

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for any and all 3x2 intakes that are or can be modified to Max Wedge intake port size, single and dual plane designs.
Also, does single plane necessarily mean poor street performance when the rest of the engine is a well balanced, complimentary selection of parts and performance?
I expect the widest, flattest, highest torque output possible without destroying horsepower.
MUST be a 3x2 design. I'm sure Wilson or another talented person could mod the Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake I have for Max Wedge ports. Then there's the Indy ModMan intake is basically a single plane shoebox, but I've been told it performs way better than it looks, especially with TBI and direct port injection.
Thanks in advance for all replies!

As far as I know you have to tig weld up a Edelbrock factory intake

High torque numbers are going to come in lower RPM range, where as my experience with a single plane is the power band is in the high RPM range. I took my single plane off my BB and replaced it with a dual plane for better street manners.

20191125_212220.jpg

I wanted 3x2 on my 426 SS so just went with closed chamber 440 heads and the 3x2. I don't think from what I have read and engine shops I have talked to that you give up much in performance. But mine is for street use only. I had this in my super bird tribute while I was rebuilding my 440 hp and it was a torque monster. It was a solid lifter engine too.

I wanted 3x2 on my 426 SS so just went with closed chamber 440 heads and the 3x2. I don't think from what I have read and engine shops I have talked to that you give up much in performance. But mine is for street use only. I had this in my super bird tribute while I was rebuilding my 440 hp and it was a torque monster. It was a solid lifter engine too.
I plan on using solid lifters, whether flat tappet or roller.
So even though the aftermarket block may be capable of handling 1,000 HP, going with TrickFlow 240s vs 270s isn't that much of a choke point? I have to say that my HP/TQ goals remain similar, regardless of what the block can handle. If I were to get 650HP/700TQ and I was actually able to manage that, maximize my performance at the track and on the street with that, and I wanted more power on race day I could use say a 200HP spray plate system Nitrous Express makes for the 6bbl, and the 240s and dual plane (maybe with the knife edge "Vanke modification) would be ok?
Which brings up another question:
Is a nitrous spray plate setup ok to use with the dual plane Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake?
I think there are some forum members using nitrous spray plates w/that intake?

I cant answer that (someone will). Never had one on the bottle. I just know the torque was awesome with my set up. I had 271 gears in my bird and it would spin the wheels at will and the top end seemed endless. I just wanted the 440 back in the bird. I was always going to find a 64HDT to put it in but now put it in my 68 charger. I never got it on a dyno.

I'm looking for any and all 3x2 intakes that are or can be modified to Max Wedge intake port size, single and dual plane designs.
Also, does single plane necessarily mean poor street performance when the rest of the engine is a well balanced, complimentary selection of parts and performance?
I expect the widest, flattest, highest torque output possible without destroying horsepower.
MUST be a 3x2 design. I'm sure Wilson or another talented person could mod the Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake I have for Max Wedge ports. Then there's the Indy ModMan intake is basically a single plane shoebox, but I've been told it performs way better than it looks, especially with TBI and direct port injection.
Thanks in advance for all replies!

I'm not aware of any MW port six pack intakes. You can have Indy port a Mod Man base to MW size and then add a 3x2 top but that is it. Edelbrock six pack intakes would need to be heavily modified to work with MW ports.

I'm not aware of any MW port six pack intakes. You can have Indy port a Mod Man base to MW size and then add a 3x2 top but that is it. Edelbrock six pack intakes would need to be heavily modified to work with MW ports.
Thanks Andy.
I still have a lot of the engine performance build book you wrote to read.
One of the ModMan intakes has injector bosses, so that intake, along with the Promax modded Holley carbs I've already invested in, would be my starting point if I changed from the intake I have and I wouldn't have to buy yet another intake if I switched to a 3x2 F&B TBI/Direct Port Injection system.
At appx $600 for the ModMan intake and $150 for the 3x2bbl top. (That's in the ballpark, I'd have to call Indy to get the correct total). Change the top to accommodate the TBI/DPI F&B system and those go anywhere from 1,500 to over 2,000 CFM. I couldn't bring myself to just toss (sell) the Promax modded Holley carbs without running them first, but the TBI/DPI F&B sure is fine!
sensors-linkage.jpg
440 6bblsys.gif

$2,650 for the F&B complete setup, I think that is 2,300 CFM, but then I have to add a controller, so that is around another $2k?

On the big engine 500+ you won’t notice much if any down low loss unless you put some ridiculously large single plane on it. My 511 has better drivability with a small single plane than it does with a dual plane.

now I can’t comment on the modman. To me it looks like a poor design. Guess some people like em though.

Did you ever call Wilson and ask what they could do with the stock style intake?? That’s where you will find some answers as to what can be done

Last edited:
I can’t comment on the modman. To me it looks like a poor design. Guess some people like em though.
My initial impression from sight was an "aluminum coated shoebox" BUT I have spoken with a few people, and IIRC Bill at F&B was actually involved in the design of the intake? I can say with confidence (2nd hand info on my part) that they certainly work very well with his fuel injection system.
Did you ever call Wilson and ask what they could do with the stock style intake?? That’s where you will find some answers as to what can be done
Yes. I would have to revisit that call, to update what the requirements of their work would be. I'll follow up here.
@IQ52 Have any of your 6bbl stroker motor builds used anything but the factory style intake, and didn't you "raise the ceiling" of the runners?
panda popcorn.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back